Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Sep 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #392 of 2,738

Quote:
Dynobot said:
.....When the Ref7 gets here I will do a comparo between the two....

L3000.gif

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #393 of 2,738
dsp
8x pcm1704
no opamps
just the sheer number of components
and i can still customise it to my liking
under 2000$ ?!?

fook me this is a steal!!!

ive read all 27 pages and the feedback from reference 7ers just sealed the deal for me

youve certainly made it easier thanks!
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #395 of 2,738
It looks like Burr Brown still has quantities on hand but may have stopped actual production of new chips.

From the Less Loss web site:

The PCM 1704 is out of production and represents the end of the era when quality was first on the minds of DAC engineering laboratories. In today's production, all remaining DAC's are of the Sigma/Delta type. These incorporate more technologies into one chip, including two channels for stereo, volume control, upsampling, and often even clock oscillators of their own. Production costs have been saved, but the issue of quality of sound reproduction is no longer the primary issue.

This is the inventory according to the Burr Brown web site, as you can see supplies are dwindling.  Surely as supply decreases, demand will increase making the price go up...Kingwa will either have to increase prices or reduce the number of chips which will call for a board redesign.  Either way the Ref7's and Ref5's as we know them days are numbered.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pcm1704.html#inventory
PCM1704U-K
Americas /lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 1  
/lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 17  
/lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 3  
Asia /lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 3  
Worldwide /lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 254  
/lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 197  
/lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E >1k

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #396 of 2,738
Aw that's unfortunate. I am rather optimistic though because some people have said really good things about some of the better sigma delta dac chips. The way I hear people describe WM8741 timbre makes me think I may have a lot of difficulty differentiating between it and a pcm1704 hehe.

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #398 of 2,738

Quote:

This is the inventory according to the Burr Brown web site, as you can see supplies are dwindling.  Surely as supply decreases, demand will increase making the price go up...Kingwa will either have to increase prices or reduce the number of chips which will call for a board redesign.  Either way the Ref7's and Ref5's as we know them days are numbered.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pcm1704.html#inventory
PCM1704U-K
Americas /lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 1  
/lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 17  
/lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 3  
Asia /lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 3  
Worldwide /lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 254  
/lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E 197  
/lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A39E >1k

Interesting post... Wow, looks like it happened sooner than anyone anticipated. Kingwa told me in a mail around a month ago that he might have to temporarily discontinue the REF5 to save up the chips for the REF7 line. Now we know why Kingwa pumped out so many NFB models so quickly...

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #399 of 2,738

Quote:
It looks like Burr Brown still has quantities on hand but may have stopped actual production of new chips.

From the Less Loss web site:

The PCM 1704 is out of production [..]

[..] Surely as supply decreases, demand will increase making the price go up...

Odd post. Appears that someone is trying to talk the price up. Someone who owns a Ref5 & Ref7?

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #401 of 2,738

Quote:
Odd post. Appears that someone is trying to talk the price up. Someone who owns a Ref5 & Ref7?

Maybe next year I can sell the Ref5 for $2000....
wink_face.gif

LOL, actually these are keepers, my Dac buying days are over. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #402 of 2,738

Quote:
Checked the TI page again, PCM1704 is still listed under active... The stock has probably just been quite low for a long time already. 

Active just means they have stock, the unit is still in the books and is being actively sold and monitored.  Once that Active goes away there will be no stock and nothing in the data base to follow.

If you check again in the following months those numbers will not increase.

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #404 of 2,738

Quote:
Maybe next year I can sell the Ref5 for $2000....
wink_face.gif

LOL, actually these are keepers, my Dac buying days are over. 

[size=10pt]Until you get the Ref7 you don't know what a "keeper" is, surely. In the mean time, it is in your interest to gee up the market, is it not? LOL.[/size]

[size=10pt]I have seen posts from you pouring cynicism over spruiks by Steve Nugent (Empirical Audio) and Gordon Rankin (Wavelength). What is the difference here; a goofy smiley?  [/size]

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #405 of 2,738

Quote:

[size=10pt]I have seen posts from you pouring cynicism over spruiks by Steve Nugent (Empirical Audio) and Gordon Rankin (Wavelength). What is the difference here; a goofy smiley?  [/size]

Only difference is I was speaking lightly about the price increase and totally joking about selling my Ref 5 and the other 2 do nothing but shamelessly promote their gear as being the best thing since sliced bread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back