Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Jun 8, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #242 of 2,738

Hi,

have u tried out stereovox and also the blackcat. Heard some good review.

can you giv me the link to the digital coaxial cables ? arent u using bnc connectors

Quote:
For those who are audio-gd users, do spend sometime to try out different cable. If it is silver, I find that the purity of the silver (99.99 vs 99.999) do make a different, ther is an ebay seller from UK selling 99.999 silver cable for a reasonable good price.
1. Digital cable, I am now using the green jacket Sommer cable (from germany) with very good result
Have not try out anything yet.
2. XLR cables between C1 and 0dB, the C1 has 2 xlr out each channel so it is very easy to bi-amp, I prefer this design than the C1 master.
C1-> pure silver xlr -> 0dB for the mid and high tweeters.
C1 -> copper xlr -> 0dB for the woofer
3. 1541A DAC to C8 preamp, using a pair of pure silver xlr cable. (I think it is called silver sonic revelation)
4. C1 to speaker, using something similar to the anti-cable with great results.

CAST cable? I am planning to DIY some silver one, please share your findings...

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #243 of 2,738
Compare between i2S and Coaxial...

The i2S is far better sound than Coaxial or Optical.

I laso have modi JET PLL 1394 DDC for i2S output.

At this time I am still modifying i2S output.  I am using Motorola chipset now and will try Toshiba new chipset to improve i2S output stability.

I am also communicating with Kingwa and RE-7DF version can connect with i2S, but you can not use DSP-1 finction with i2S input.  But in my case, I have put multiplexer function between DAC input (Coaxial and i2S) and DSP-1 to switch which signal will go to DSP-1.  Now I can use i2S with DSP-1 together.

I will keep update.

P.S. I am Korean and my engilsh is not good enoug to meet everyone's ecpextation, please excuse me.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #246 of 2,738

Is Marantz Project D-1 a unique dac ?  I think someone mentioned it here.  Anyway Ebay Australia has one right now.  
smile_phones.gif

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #247 of 2,738
Sorry, haven't check this thread lately.

99.999 (claimed by the seller) silver wire is here, the seller is tomjlive from UK, good value for the price, might order some to make a CAST cable.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/99-999-0-6mm-Solid-Silver-Wire-Teflon-PTFE-Insulation-/280517427386?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item41502440ba

Or you could buy from here for even better value.

http://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/si_bare.html

Sommer Vector plus 1.2/5.0 information is here
One of my friend bought it from a retail shop in Hong Kong so I do not know where to buy it online
http://www.sommercable.de/3__produkte/3__030_meterware/3__600_0174.html

I use BNC connectors.

Recently, I have bought a few meters of higher grade version of Vector 1.5/7.3 but still looking for a supplier of suitable BNC sockets.

To be more specific, from the C1 front driver to the two odB (biamp), I am now using Revelation solid silver 1.5m XLR from Silver Sonic to drive the high and AQ King Cobra (copper) 1m XLR to drive the woofer in the biamp configuration. The King Cobra is surprising good to provide a firm, tight base with definition for its price. And this combination give me a very good balance in the whole sound spectrum.

My REF7HE has arrived last week (thanks for Kingwa could offer the upgrade from my DAC-8), wow it is just an excellent sounding DAC, using with the CD-7HE, one word - analogue.
I have swapped my old favorite Sommer Vector Plus 1.2/5.0 out with the complimentary Canare (all with BNC connectors), I still much prefer with the Sommer which is giving me more balance sound.

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #249 of 2,738
Thanks tll.

Hmm, DAC-8, 2x C10, CD-7, RE-7, C3-mk3... and a box I can not name. You must really like A-GD :wink: I like their philosophy and their products too, just that I do not have that big budget and the one who must be obeyed would NEVER let those speaker tower beauties in our flat.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #250 of 2,738
 FauDrei those are the older C1's (former TOTL of the amp series) before Kingwa redesigned them to the C1 Master spec if my eyes are correct in what I'm seeing. One control unit can be used to feed 2 x C1 amp sections (IIRC). I bet this system has incredible dynamics, full freq extension (as far as the room will let the bass response plumb the depths) and finesse. About the only negative I can see for this system is not having a large enough room, I bet tll's system would easily acoustically load a room 30x40 ft (10 ft ceiling).

What a terrific rig that is tll...are those Dunlavy speakers ?

tll you should give the Furutech solid silver BNC a try ( Furutech BNC connectors and FX-Alpha -AG 75 ohm coax , 1M length  roughly 130USD which includes termination fee) that I had made by Chris Johnson of PCX (Partsconexion). I bet it would be a perfect fit for your transport and DAC. I prefer this cable over the Oyaide DB510. It is vastly superior to the Canare/Blue Jeans BNC cables in every category that matters. It certainly brought a noticeable improvement to my RE1/CD7 digital source.
I'd be greatly interested to hear some further thoughts/details on this system of yours tll ...
beerchug.gif

Peete.

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #252 of 2,738

Quote:
Er... Peete, is DB-510 any good?

(since I've ordered it a couple of days ago...)

Yes it is but it has a couple of drawbacks that are more pronounced when you switch from headphone listening to speakers that I could not mitigate. It has less of a grip on the bass region than the Furuetch. It's also a little bit more tipped up in the upper mids/treble region than the evenly balanced Furutech although this additional brightness does tend to add a little illumination in the presence region. That gives one the impression of more detail but in reality that was not so..it was just more pronounced than the Furutech.That tonal balance combined with the loose bass (the difference here is notable but not that large) were the two biggest differences that I took notice of during the tests. Every time I swapped the cables around the same differences revealed themselves over and over.

Both are equally speedy when it came dynamics, PRAT etc...both throw off a wide sound stage with plenty of depth , I found the Furutech to be the more refined and evenly balanced cable among the pair. I do like the liveliness of the Oyaide. In the end however the Oyaide's woolly (with a slight mid bass peak) bass was the deal breaker for me.  The Furutech really delivers the goods but it is somewhat polite in that delivery you might say. Some may like this presentation some may not.YMMV.

Peete.

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #254 of 2,738
Peete, I wish my room could be wider and taller. My room dimension is limited, 2.5 x 3.5 x 8 meters, so depth in the sound stage is not the best but still good (speaker is 120cm from back wall). This is a pair of Duntech Sovereign. Very dynamic and the sound stage is very detail and refine driven by C-1 with two 0dB power amp, even the volume level in the preamp (C8) is only at level 7 or 8 (max is 70). Most of my time, the volume is set at level 10-12, never go beyond 20. Bass is very well controlled, no booming issue. High is silky, vocal is pin point, and most important, a very musical set up. If it is not audio-gd's excellent price and performance, I could not afford to drive this speaker. As I said in my earlier post, my friend also bought the whole set from audio-gd to drive his B&W 801S2 with great success. He has spent/waste a lot money before ending up and settle with audio-gd's gears.

I definitely will try the Furutech solid silver BNC, but this one from ebay is also very tempting.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Valab-Solid-Core-Silver-Coaxial-Digital-Interconnect-/290438961511?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439f82d967

Anyone here has try the Valab?

Today, I have DIY my first pair of ACSS cable to use between the preamp and the power amp.
It is made of 0.8mm magnetic wire bought from the wire.co.uk (link given above). Results is very positive, worth a try and sounds better than the stock shark's wire. More refine and more details in the sound stage, with more air around instrument but not thin. I have some gold plated copper wire, may try to make another pair if I have time.

Anyone has tried using solid silver to make the ACSS cable?

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #255 of 2,738
Hi Tllyoz,

I followed your thread at audio-gd and I would say your narative over there is quite suspense fill.

I borrow here another cable introduce by slim.a and it is none other than the cable by Chris Sommovingo (from stereovox) - the blackcat veloce

http://www.blackcatcable.com/

and the review

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/blackcat/veloce.html

I wonder if Peete has heard about them.

I was previously using canare coaxial cable and canare bnc plug. After I switch to silver coaxial by ZY (Chinese made, ZhangYang), I too notice coaxial cables can make a huge impact. I had also tried 100mm length canare cable but no special effects.

My current setup is

m2tech hiface -> ref 1 -> CIA-400 -> DYNAUDIO Focus 140 [with richard power company 400 and siltech speaker cables]

I am towards neutra or the most revealing and PRAT type. I am very tempted to go C39 + C10 or shold I go C3/C10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back