Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Dec 2, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #1,366 of 2,738
Yeah, I do place a piece of paper on the DAC...more to keep the CD players feet from scratching the top plate, the players feet is already insulated.

I probably didn't make it clear from my ramblings that it was indeed the player that was playing up, either the relay or power switch is at fault.  All credit goes to the 7 for not missing a beat, even with less than optimum cooling - whatever heat that emitted from the 7 whilst the player was on top has yet to affect the 7s performance that I can detect...I'm not so sure my player fared as well with that same heat.  But its all working now, and its back to stress testing.  I think I want the multiplayer to fail me...so I can upgrade to Bluray...or maybe the CD7 has something to say about that...

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #1,368 of 2,738
Check out the latest update on audio-gd's website.
Better hurry if you want to get the Ref 7.

2th, Dec. :   The PCM1704 chips out of stock finaly . A few PCM1704 built in DAC for order:
                       Reference 8(non USB) X1 , Reference 7 X8, Reference 5 X15,  DAC19 X25

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #1,370 of 2,738
As Slim.a said: we are too busy enjoying music with V5 default settings to be bothered to try changing them... (yet)
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #1,371 of 2,738
Yup...in order to experiment with the DIP switches, I would have switch it off.  That's asking a bit too much.
wink_face.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #1,373 of 2,738

Quote:
My Ref-7 FINALLY came in (40 days from order).  The extra waiting time was due to some parts being out of stock.

The first impression of Ref-7 from a "cold start" was terrible as expected but I was still kind of worrisome.  The mid & high was murky with no definition at all. Soundstage was small and ambiguous.

After about 12 hours of warm up (happen to work overtime) and I was just listening to Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2 as the background music.  Gradually, I realized that there are quite different tonality and details showing up (comparing to Ref-1 with V3 DSP).  And then the positions of piano and orchestra were so amazingly well defined.  I felt like listening in live concert.

Out of curiosity, I turn on the Ref-1 and wait for about 15-min (I know it is unfair to Ref-1).  When I switch to Ref-1, immediately I knew that it is time to upgrade to Ref1 to the V5 DSP.

There is almost no comparison between Ref-7 with V5 DSP and Ref-1 with V3.    Ref-1 was always "excellent" in my mind, but not Ref-7 is now "sitting in the live concert" in comparison.  Listening to Ref-1 V3 is like listening to the concert through a wall, the soundstage is a little too distant, flat, and less well define in comparison.

I know it is cruel to describe Ref-1 with V3 chip in these language.  But the truth is: time to pack the V3 chip and ship it back to Kingwa.  No comparison, really!

40 days wow, I got mine not even 2 weeks after order (live in the US). What parts were on backorder? Can take a few high res shots of the internals, curious to compare to mine.

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #1,375 of 2,738
Hello,

Quick question... are these big duty fees shipping via DHL compared with EMS?

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #1,376 of 2,738
I've not yet paid anything when Audio-gd sent me items from China with EMS, but I had to pay $85 of duty and handling charges when I ordered them a FUN shipped via TNT. slim.a which has Audio-gd gear reported me the same thing.
All the carriers like FedEx, TNT, DHL, UPS etc will bill you handling fees and duty. FedEx agent told me they now charge clients almost all the time.
So if you can order with EMS shipping and hope you won't have to pay anything.

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #1,377 of 2,738

Quote:
I've not yet paid anything when Audio-gd sent me items from China with EMS, but I had to pay $85 of duty and handling charges when I ordered them a FUN shipped via TNT. slim.a which has Audio-gd gear reported me the same thing.
All the carriers like FedEx, TNT, DHL, UPS etc will bill you handling fees and duty. FedEx agent told me they now charge clients almost all the time.

I experienced the same thing shipping to Canada.  EMS came with no charges while DHL did.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #1,378 of 2,738

Quote:
Quote:

I experienced the same thing shipping to Canada.  EMS came with no charges while DHL did.

Hey, could you provide details on how much DHL charged you? Thanks in advance.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #1,379 of 2,738
I use EMS for anything under 20kg. Much better service no $40 processing fee, quicker to my door and cheaper.

Regards

Macrog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back