Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Feb 13, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #122 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But at the same time didnt you say your coax cable was 18ft! You might want to try <2ft then compare. Whatever observations you made on 18ft with the ref1 might not be valid for the ref7. Dan Larvy also suggests the shorter the better.

He doesn't believe shorter is better. In fact he thinks his cable is better than any 2Ft cable. However, I'm pretty sure he'd change his mind if he tried the Oyaide DB-510. DB-510
One other advantage besides the SQ factor that I find over AES cables is that they are less expensive. There is less material involved so costs stay lower.
I would only run AES on very long distances.
My cable is 0,70m or 2.3 Ft and that is well long enough.

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #123 of 2,738
I've used very expensive digital cables. I still think the Belden 1694A is the best. If you want to loan me the Oyaide I'll be glad to try it.

You say you'd only run AES over long distances, but if you had a source that sounds better with AES output, you'd use it, obviously. The Transporter does.

Now if only the Ref7 had a word clock output.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #124 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you guys "compare" BNC and AES, just make sure you are using the identical cables, e.g. BNC and AES cable from same line from same manufacturerer. In IpodPJ's case, the wiring from the jack to the board is different, and believe me, this little piece of wire can change the sound a lot.

Lastly, try to volume match because the BNC and AES likely has different volume levels at the same setting..

X 10 .....and agreed 100% Jon L.

Congrats on the new RE7 PJ and thanks for the pics.

Grab yourself a decent SPL meter, it's time you bought yourself one anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS: I forgot to add I just bought parts for a digital cable that uses Furutech BNC jacks (FP-3-117(R) Audio grade BNC connector) mated up with Furutech's best 75 ohm coax cable (FX-Alpha-Ag 75Ω Coaxial Cable 99.99% Pure Silver + Teflon). I'm having Chris J at Partsconexion terminate it properly for me since I don't have the proper crimp tool for that job (and that bloody tool costs more than the termination service does). Hopefully that will be the last piece of the digital front end/preamp mod puzzle for this crazy bugger.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #125 of 2,738
Furutech makes great connectors and cable, Peete. I'm sure it will sound great. I just don't know if there is really any merit to these high-priced connectors. I'm not so sure we could hear the difference anyway, but I still have the uber expensive rhodium FP601M XLR on my headphone cable. For my Beta build, they are all just standard Neutrik A series XLR jacks. They are good and are the only ones that would work for the custom job I am doing.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #126 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now if only the Ref7 had a word clock output.

Why ? Aren't 16 global clocks on tap from the DSP1 processor (and a max of 4 PLL loops among other desirable attributes ) good enough for you ?

What connection type would that word clock have with the dac, rather, what do 90% of them use exclusively ?
wink.gif

Peete.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #127 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why ? Aren't 16 global clocks on tap from the DSP1 processor (and a max of 4 PLL loops among other desirable attributes ) good enough for you ?

Nope!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

What connection type would that word clock have with the dac, rather, what do 90% of them use exclusively ?
wink.gif

Peete.

BNC of course.
bigsmile_face.gif
But that is not carrying the audio signal.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #128 of 2,738
Quote:

Furutech makes great connectors and cable, Peete. I'm sure it will sound great. I just don't know if there is really any merit to these high-priced connectors. I'm not so sure we could hear the difference anyway, but I still have the uber expensive rhodium FP601M XLR on my headphone cable. For my Beta build, they are all just standard Neutrik A series XLR jacks. They are good and are the only ones that would work for the custom job I am doing.

Agreed...but you know I had to try it out. The connectors are rhodium plated over silver I believe (although it could also be silver plate over gold under the rhodium plating). I'll ask Chris.

If the cable gives no performance increase over the A-gd/Canare then I will have a somewhat expensive albatross I suppose. Wouldn't be the first time I've done that in this hobby.
redface.gif
I do think it should bring some improvement (or at least hope so) although I will have to properly test it out and give it enough time in order to make that determination.

Peete.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #129 of 2,738
Quote:

If the cable gives no performance increase over the A-gd/Canare then I will have a somewhat expensive albatross I suppose. Wouldn't be the first time I've done that in this hobby.
redface.gif
I do think it should bring some improvement (or at least hope so) although I will have to properly test it out and give it enough time in order to make that determination.

Peete.

A Blue Jeans BNC gives a performance increase over the basic Audio-gd one, so I'm sure your cable will too.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #130 of 2,738
Quote:

Nope!
biggrin.gif

BNC of course.
bigsmile_face.gif
But that is not carrying the audio signal.

Ah but it is carrying that audio signal from the transport to the clock(s) ...it isn't until the DAC that it's converted to analog. If timing is crucial for the data stream then that timing is equally crucial between transport and dac agreed ?

Timing and phase response are intertwined, one effects the other and vice versa....the more connections / cables and such in the pathway the more critical it is to make absolutely sure no error is introduced by poor cabling or transmission standard choices. The other major feature of the DSP1 is data handling 100% in proper phase which as I just said will effect optimum recovery of the master clock in the data stream. Phase shift will cause timig sync error, timing sync error will cause phase shift. The more of these errors you have the worse the units will perform where it counts.

Check out the Alterra site PJ it has a mountain of info on the Cyclone series chips. Caution...Alterra site may cause noodle to explode
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #131 of 2,738
I have looked at it but I will read it again. And yes, I agree with what you're saying, but having a master clock that synchronizes everything exactly is the point of a word clock input/output.

Also of interest, for kicks I decided to compare the RCA outputs of the RE7 to the Transporter. I have done this in the past (also with my little speakers) with the RE1 and the differences were very noticeable. The RE1 was more transparent and dynamic than the Transporter. ---- The RE7 has a size-ably bigger difference with the Transporter than the RE1 did. I'm dying here for a headphone amp. I haven't had one (the Phoenix) since November. These speakers can only tell me so much, I need the HD800 to discover the true nature of this DAC.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #132 of 2,738
All this connector talk has me thinking...it then hit me. Why not combine the CD7 and RE1 into a single unit (separate chassis still) but eliminate the bnc jacks and cables entirely. Take the Digital out from the ACSS stage of the CD7 route it straight down through the chassis bottom plate via a 4 mm hole, through the top plate of the RE1 and into the digital input pads of the dac .....Bolt the two units together (using the stock feet as standoffs for air flow) as one and use a single piece of your favorite HQ coax to make that connection as direct and short as possible.....hmmm...I like that idea. I can test it without having to drill the holes to see if it's worthy of making permanent. That would make for one heavy ass unit though......

What do you guys think ? Another hair brained idea or something worth exploring ?

Peete.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #133 of 2,738
There is noticeably more treble and mid detail and presence than on the RE1, I wonder if he eliminated the analog filter. I can't imagine that the re-wire accounts for all the extra detail.

Also, the unit must stay cooler because of the vents. If you put your hand on top of the vents, you can feel a tiny bit of heat coming from them, but not much. But when it's completely sealed that could account for how hot the RE1 gets.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #134 of 2,738
Quote:

I've used very expensive digital cables. I still think the Belden 1694A is the best. If you want to loan me the Oyaide I'll be glad to try it.

I actually put PJ's recommendations to the test last summer when I first got my Ref1.

I tried 3' & 18' lengths of BJC's BNC Belden 1694A against a $315 1 meter length of Stereolab's latest 2009 XV-Ultra Digital Cable created by Chris Sommovigo of Stereovox fame (Illuminati D-60). This cable was recommended to me by two different online dealers.

Long story short, the 3' Belden was on par with the 1M Ultra and the 18' Belden was preferred over both. The theory behind this I am told is longer lengths minimizing internal digital reflections within the cable. There must be something to it. Thanks again to PJ for saving me about $300.

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #135 of 2,738
Quote:

What do you guys think ? Another hair brained idea or something worth exploring ?

Peete.

Total Hardcore High Fidelity, definitely not hair brained nor is it for the faint of heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back