Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Oct 12, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #616 of 2,738

Honeymoon comments, its only been a couple of weeks and mine is already starting to nag and complain.  "I want clean power", "Give me better recordings", "Don't get me all turned on if your not going to play with me...", you get the idea.  In no time your usual low-fi friends won't be good enough for her.

Quote:
Here are my REF7 sound signature first impressions... Disclaimer: yes, these are of course honeymoon comments.

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #617 of 2,738
acss vs xlr.

try listening to some choir in the church, or any other large soundstage music. to me, ACSS is more neutral, that allows you to drive your speakers harder at louder volume yet sound good.

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #618 of 2,738
Single best Higher-End A-GD DAC comparison I've heard...
beerchug.gif

Honeymoon comments, its only been a couple of weeks and mine is already starting to nag and complain.  "I want clean power", "Give me better recordings", "Don't get me all turned on if your not going to play with me...", you get the idea.  In no time your usual low-fi friends won't be good enough for her.

Looking from the distance, this relationship is quite simple: You do not love her or you are not sure - she goes. You do love her - your Lo-Fi and Mid-Fi friends are severely neglected or history... she selects and filters your new friends by her posh jet-set standards.

Still want to date a beautiful wom... errr, own a RE-7?
cool.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #622 of 2,738
Does anyone know or has anyone tried asking Kingwa what the RE7 will be replaced with? It looks like he is ditching the Reference series DACs for something totally different. He has no more PCM1704UK chips to build them. Does anyone know what will it be? An ultra high end Sabre DAC based on ESxxxx chips?

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #626 of 2,738
If Audio-gd is discontinuing the Ref 7 and all of the 1704 based DAC's why have a Ref 7 loaner program? I'm next on the list to try the Ref 7, I am looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #627 of 2,738
Well, I would imagine that if there is enough demand for PCM1704 DACs there will be a business case for more to be ordered directly in large lots from ti despite the large minimum order and the reported 5 month lead time.  So those products might not really be gone.

As for the loaner program, Currawong posted that it was set up and started with Kingwa many months ago, so this was probably well before the decision was made to end the PCM1704 based lineup.  That and I don't think the ESS9018 was anywhere near ready when this was set up either.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #629 of 2,738

Quote:
If Audio-gd is discontinuing the Ref 7 and all of the 1704 based DAC's why have a Ref 7 loaner program? I'm next on the list to try the Ref 7, I am looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

I asked the exact same thing in the loaner thread.  Currawong said it was because the loaner program was planned months ago.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #630 of 2,738

Quote:
Well, I would imagine that if there is enough demand for PCM1704 DACs there will be a business case for more to be ordered directly in large lots from ti despite the large minimum order and the reported 5 month lead time.  So those products might not really be gone.

You would hope, but it wouldn't really make sense because someone said Kingwa mentioned he's sold DACs with 20,000 PCM1704UK chips already.  If that isn't enough of a business case, I don't know what would be, especially since you can order a real from TI in lots of 1050 or 1600 pcs.  And of course, people still want these DACs so there is a demand for them.  There's got to be some other reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back