Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Jun 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2,341 of 2,738
My 7.0 "clicks" when a signal is started or stopped... just for the record :p

Just from the DAC itself though, nothing through the transducers.

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #2,342 of 2,738

Quote:
My 7.0 "clicks" when a signal is started or stopped... just for the record :p

Just from the DAC itself though, nothing through the transducers.

That's definitely signal "lock"...if I stop the CD7 the signal lock "click" (signifying an "unlock" status) will be heard if no signal is sent from your transport to the DAC after a minute or two. Mine does the exact same thing independent of the switching function for the units that have more than 2 inputs.

Peete.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #2,344 of 2,738

Quote:
Correct, but the 7.1 does not.

What's your best guess about the changes between the 7 and 7.1 WRT the digital input PJ ?  Have you had a close long look at the internals yet ? Any pics you can send me a link to ?

I know the analog and ACSS stages have been updated in the 7.1....I'm curious about the improvements as a whole but also details on the digital input changes . I know this is asking a lot PJ since your mem of the 7.0 has faded, suffice to say TIA for any relevant info and what's your current assessment of the 7.1 thus far ?

Peete.

PS : Anyone have a spare V5 DSP-1 in N America ? PM me please.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #2,346 of 2,738
Jun 4, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #2,347 of 2,738
I feel so sad about that.
frown.gif

I own a Ref 1 and want to upgrade to Ref 7.x in the near future.

Now it seems the PCM1704UK is discontinued.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #2,348 of 2,738
We place the 4K pcs order and  made the earnest money to TI agent  at mid of Oct. in 2010 .
At first they replied us delivery at mid of March in 2011, later they change to end of April.
But in May. , they still can't delivery the chips.

Here is TI agent first email at May

If the customer would like to consider alternative parts, the only pin to pin options are other PCM1704 products.  We have PCM1704U and PCM1704U-J in stock, but these have a difference in performance.

Later they send the second eamil

Thanks for your kindly feedback.
We do really have no wafer to support to pull in now.
Please kindly try to work with customer if possible- For a high quality audio converter, at half the price, we suggest the PCM1792A (or the hardware controlled PCM1794).
Please kindly let me know if you need any technical support for technical questions about these alternative parts

Two days early they return the earnest money to us without 2 cent accrual . 
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #2,349 of 2,738

Quote:
Please kindly try to work with customer if possible- For a high quality audio converter, at half the price, we suggest the PCM1792A (or the hardware controlled PCM1794).
Please kindly let me know if you need any technical support for technical questions about these alternative parts

confused_face(1).gif

Perhaps you could try the PCM 1794. Neko Audio uses it in its D100 DAC and all the reviews say it is very good, it has a natural sound and reproduce very well acoustic instruments in classical music. I am sure you can make a very good DAC with your implementation.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #2,351 of 2,738

The man, the legend. He speaks.
Quote:
We place the 4K pcs order and  made the earnest money to TI agent  at mid of Oct. in 2010 .
At first they replied us delivery at mid of March in 2011, later they change to end of April.
But in May. , they still can't delivery the chips.

Here is TI agent first email at May

If the customer would like to consider alternative parts, the only pin to pin options are other PCM1704 products.  We have PCM1704U and PCM1704U-J in stock, but these have a difference in performance.

Later they send the second eamil

Thanks for your kindly feedback.
We do really have no wafer to support to pull in now.

confused_face(1).gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #2,352 of 2,738
There are very lot TI samples in China.
I have diversified TI produce ΣΔ  DA chips.
But I don't like their sounding, quite a different than their R2R DA chips. I prefer the WM8741.

KingWa, what about your ESS ΣΔ implementations? Are you planning any future products/upgrades with ESS90xx chips?

Do you prefer WM8741 over ESS9018 too?

I am really sad PCM1704UK are no more in production... Wonderful natural machines... This also means Reference line DACs we have are among the last produced specimens of PCM1704 breed.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #2,354 of 2,738

Quote:
What's your best guess about the changes between the 7 and 7.1 WRT the digital input PJ ?  Have you had a close long look at the internals yet ? Any pics you can send me a link to ?

I know the analog and ACSS stages have been updated in the 7.1....I'm curious about the improvements as a whole but also details on the digital input changes . I know this is asking a lot PJ since your mem of the 7.0 has faded, suffice to say TIA for any relevant info and what's your current assessment of the 7.1 thus far ?

Peete.

PS : Anyone have a spare V5 DSP-1 in N America ? PM me please.

That's a question better asked for Kingwa since I really do not what changes might have been made to the digital section.  All I know is there no actual clicking on signal lock, and there seems to be less variance between transport quality now.  Maybe the DSP-1 was upgraded to V6 without anyone knowing about it?'

I'm not using the ACSS stages.  I had cables built and ready to test for my amp, but Audio-gd, without informing me decided to switch from the 4-pin XLR plugs (as shown in the original Ref 7.1 picture) to their new 3-pin plugs.  To this day they have not sent me the proper connectors for me to fix those cables.

I have mentioned in the 7.1 thread about the sonic differences I've heard so you should check it out.  Kingwa addressed the issues mentioned by some people in the Ref 7 loaner thread, and it's a better sounding DAC because of it.

It's a shame that yet another product line is going to be discontinued by Audio-gd.  This time it seems like it was beyond his control.  Not too many people own this DAC so there won't be too many reviews of it out there (not that it matters much now anyway; even if you wanted one you can't get one unless it's on the used market and I doubt any 7.1 owner is going to sell theirs unless they buy some rather expensive name brand to replace it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back