Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
May 4, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #106 of 482
techenvy, it is possible on the dac19. They've switched some customers' coaxial to bnc, which is cheap and easy to do.

I use the usb input all the time but I don't have the DSP version, I'll just say it makes me wish I had the dsp version :p. Should ask in some of the dac19 therads to get the opinion of people with dac19dsp and use usb input.

May 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #107 of 482
Well as far as I can tell from USPS the Ref 5 will be here tomorrow morning. Realmassey in the UK also ordered one and he get's his tomorrow as well. We should have some info to put out once we get a chance to listen to it. I also am interested in the difference between the USB and the Coaxial inputs. I will go from computer digital out to the Ref 5 coaxial input. I also will try the USB out from the computer and the USB in on the Ref 5. I cannot connect with the optical as I have no output on the computer. I will connect the Ref 5 to the ROC with the ACSS and also with the XLR to see what differences that makes. This will take a little time to do but will be fun none the less.

May 4, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #108 of 482
Yep,
I'm finally back home, the parcel with my (long waited) Ref.5 is in the Leeds depot. I had no time to collect it today, but it should be delivered tomorrow.

I'll test it connected to my ROC using XLR and ACSS, using a CD player through the coax output, the TEAC WAP 8200 through optical, and a laptop with XP, Foobar and ASIO using the USB.

I'm pretty curious to compare the CD player against the TEAC ("jitterous" transport): a couple of weeks ago I did the same comparison using the DACMagic, and the CD player was superior.
Hopefully the differences using the Ref.5 with DSP will be less noticeable!

May 4, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #109 of 482
Sopunds good Massi. It will be interesting to read your impressions. What CD player are you using. I have the Denon C-615 so may test it as well with the Coaxial Out.

May 4, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #110 of 482
The CD player is a 15 years old Audio Alchemist...don't look for info on this player, you won't find them :-D
Audio Alchemist was a small British company with a nice range of hi-end products. I used this player for 14 years (bought second hand with my first wage) along with a 30W integrated amplifier and a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino: how good was that sound, smooth, warm, absolutely lovely. I still have the player and the amp, but I'm not using them.
By the way, Russell make me notice there's another guy here in UK with an order for the Ref.5: where are you Chilton?

May 4, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #112 of 482
Geez TigzStudio if I lived where you do I would already be listening to the Ref 5 as it went through customs in San Francisco. LOL Yeah I guess part of the fun of this stuff is in the anticipation.

May 5, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #113 of 482
I hate waiting for something to arrive
tongue.gif
My new DAC, cables and speakers should arrive today or tomorrow. Have been waiting for a couple of days now, but it seems like forever
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #115 of 482
Haha yes, I am sorry
biggrin.gif
I needed speakers and was going to get the AV 40 for $230 and didn't need any more cables, but then they were out of stock and had to get different ones which I needed to buy cables for. After that, buying various albums, buying computer stuff etc, I am now broke hehe. I am aiming for a Matrix Mini-i or if I get a decent job (I am 15, so yeah
tongue.gif
) I will try save up for the DAC-19 DSP or possible REF 5.

May 6, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #116 of 482

Quote:
techenvy, it is possible on the dac19. They've switched some customers' coaxial to bnc, which is cheap and easy to do.

I use the usb input all the time but I don't have the DSP version, I'll just say it makes me wish I had the dsp version :p. Should ask in some of the dac19 therads to get the opinion of people with dac19dsp and use usb input.

yea the problem is i need coaxial and the bnc inp, plus  toslink..   or maybe not if the dac19 usb sounds good,?? compared to coaxial that is, i am skeptical.     IIs the dac 19 or dsp have a 96/24  usb dac??   also curious if any comapre the dac 19 to the benchmak dac 1 or dac 1 pre, but so damn expensive.

first post on a weird new site, cheers

May 6, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #117 of 482

Quote:
yea the problem is i need coaxial and the bnc inp, plus  toslink..   or maybe not if the dac19 usb sounds good,?? compared to coaxial that is, i am skeptical.     IIs the dac 19 or dsp have a 96/24  usb dac??   also curious if any comapre the dac 19 to the benchmak dac 1 or dac 1 pre, but so damn expensive.

first post on a weird new site, cheers

As someone who had the dac 19 DF, which is apparently a much more jitter prone filter than the DSP1, i can tell you that there isn't a mind-blowing difference with SPDIF (using the hiface)

May 6, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #118 of 482
I spent 5 hours yesterday listening to the Reference 5. No critical listening, just the pleasure to listen to my favourite music in a new way.
I've been through some well known CDs: Kind of Blue, A Love Supreme, Koln Concert, other jazz recordings, and some classical music, many piano concerts by Mozart and Beethoven, string quartets by Shubert and Haydn, symphonies by Elgar and Brahms, and then pieces by Ravel and Prokofiev.
Well, the only thing I can say is I went to bed with a large grin on my face :)
The only critical comparison I did is between the CD player and the TEAC wireless player both used as transport, and I can honestly say the differences are minimal, if any. It seems the headstage is wider using the CD player, but guess I couldn't spot the transport in a blind test. So definitely I'm happy on that side!
More to come today :)

May 6, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #119 of 482
@ tecnenvy, you can always ask Kingwa to install additional digital input(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back