Audio-Gd Reference 10
Sep 27, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #421 of 431
Just received mine. Paid 1175 Canadian and seller paid shipping 150 bucks lol. So pretty good deal. He talked me to buy a harmonic technology ac-10 power cable. Do you use aftermarket cable?

I also bought a furutech ncf duplex and the aluminum base and carbon fiber cover. Paid 230 USD total so also a good deal. I'll l post some impression soon.

Sep 27, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #422 of 431
Oh I will connect it to balanced to stax 4170 and see what happens that one is similar to hd800. A bit bright and as detailed if not more.

Sep 27, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #423 of 431
Just received mine. Paid 1175 Canadian and seller paid shipping 150 bucks lol. So pretty good deal. He talked me to buy a harmonic technology ac-10 power cable. Do you use aftermarket cable?

I also bought a furutech ncf duplex and the aluminum base and carbon fiber cover. Paid 230 USD total so also a good deal. I'll l post some impression soon.

Congratulations and welcome to the "Reference Club"...

No, l use the original cable. Kingwa told me once that l could replace it in order to change the sound, but l'm happy the way it is.

l look forward to reading your impressions!

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #424 of 431
played it for a good 1 hour. 5 minutes in, my audeze lcd3 one channel went silent.

so I can only test with stax. seem to be an improvement over deckard, but I guess I wasn't in too good a mood since the headphone broke. normally something breaks tells me it's the end of the buying for this hobby.

this thing is very large and I have to figure out where I am gonna put it. took me a while to figure out that P5 is the balanced/rca out on the back.

the usb input port has some aluminum case cut out to fit the amanero combo 384. done by two owners ago. production date is 2014. so not that old. overall condition is 8/10, it came with 2 extra modules, one is the original usb, and another one is an HDMI module and another screen mounting brass thing got welded on the original same brass mount. oh I just realized the cut out is for the hdmi cable which is wider. it's an interesting unit with some mods.

it is set to NOS the seller told me. I read x8 is best sounding? he said no oversample is best sound.

didn't bother trying different power cable but tomorrow I will put crappy cable to see what it sounds like.

one question, is the headphone front ports output fixed? like no way to control gain? I set to 60 and not loud. isn't this thing supposed to have a lot of power?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #425 of 431
seems like thread is dead. lol. i been using this thing for a while now and i am pretty happy with it. and currently no desire to upgrade. i got some fancy usb cables to go with it. anyone changed to combo384? mine came with it modded by others but it can't play dsd. i wonder just need to set it with software but need to "short" some contacts to make it reset itself to be programmed. the audiogd combo384 looks different from the official one. so i haven't tried anything to mess around with it since it is working perfectly fine.

Feb 16, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #426 of 431
Jul 17, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #428 of 431
A friend is selling his copy of 10.2 and I think it's a good deal at $400 USD.

should I go for it?
That's a good friend.

Other DAC/amps will sound different but not better.

With such a device, it's more about your ears, your recordings and the headphones you use.

The 2 'flaws' l (personally) find in this unit are:

- I wish it had a volume dial (even if l lose a tad bit of sound quality).

- l wish l could dim the LCD panel.

I hope this helps!

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #429 of 431
does anyone have a copy of

- quartus 12.1 software? (I downloaded something from the intel site but unsure if this can used or perhaps I need a registered copy?)

- V7 update file

Thank you.

----------------

EDIT: might as well ask here.

My friend's device has a the Amanero combo384 board for USB input.

3 questions please:

1. Can I use the firmware files available on amanero.com? If yes, which one should I download? they seemed more up-to-date than the ones on audio-gd.com.

2. On the audio-gd.com instructions, it says this -> "When open the tool, there is an ID windows, just keep it as default and click ok." My question is, what's the default ID? Would the configtool.exe auto-detect the device when I start the process?

3. Steps 3/4 (audio-gd's instructions) says to shutdown the device. Do I need to turn it on again? Do I need to unplug/replug the USB cable?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #431 of 431
That's a good friend.

Other DAC/amps will sound different but not better.

With such a device, it's more about your ears, your recordings and the headphones you use.

The 2 'flaws' l (personally) find in this unit are:

- I wish it had a volume dial (even if l lose a tad bit of sound quality).

- l wish l could dim the LCD panel.

I hope this helps!
I concur with these two flaws. I really wish it had a volume dial. I'd have payed for a stepped attenuator with rotary dial if the option was available.

I've been out of the loop on upgrades to this...is the USB still upgradeable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back