Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Mar 13, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #2,417 of 2,441
I have one in my possesion. I have found great synergy with the Little DOT MKVIIIse headphone-amp for my Sennheiser HD800 headphones.

And a good digital source is crucial. I have upgraded from Audio-GD DI-V1 to DI-V3 and my Ref One sings like never before.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #2,418 of 2,441
Funny this thread got bumped. I just put my Ref 1 up in the FS forum. I just converted my 7.1 to a Master 7 and am mostly ready to let the Ref 1 go. I did not do a pain staking comparison of the 2, but suffice it to say the Ref 1 was not outclassed.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,419 of 2,441
Quote:
I have one in my possesion. I have found great synergy with the Little DOT MKVIIIse headphone-amp for my Sennheiser HD800 headphones.

And a good digital source is crucial. I have upgraded from Audio-GD DI-V1 to DI-V3 and my Ref One sings like never before.

Interesting. I was thinking about upgrading my own DD converter. Maybe it's time to make the upgrade :/

Quote:
Funny this thread got bumped. I just put my Ref 1 up in the FS forum. I just converted my 7.1 to a Master 7 and am mostly ready to let the Ref 1 go. I did not do a pain staking comparison of the 2, but suffice it to say the Ref 1 was not outclassed.

Not the reference 1! 

Anyone do any upgrades to their unit? I know one person replaced all the wiring and caps, which seemed like a bit much. I was thinking about doing some of the wiring, but doubt it would be worth all the trouble. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #2,420 of 2,441
Does anyone stiill require V5 DSP1 upgrades? I have a couple of spares free to good homes.

You just pay shipping from New Zealand.

Regards

Macrog

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2,422 of 2,441
Quote:
Sorry about the OT, but someone pm'd me asking for the FS link because they couldn't find it through the search:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604237/audio-gd-reference-1-dac-dsp-1-v5

Ssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrre, 

we believe you 
tongue_smile.gif

Also, that price is great! $75 for a reference 1, I might jump on that! 

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2,425 of 2,441
I'd guess that the only way to tell would be by the orig purchase date. Dunno know if you've seen Macrog's offer for free V5's while they last. I think I had V2 or 3 originally, the sonic jump to V5 was huge.

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #2,426 of 2,441
Quote:
I'd guess that the only way to tell would be by the orig purchase date. Dunno know if you've seen Macrog's offer for free V5's while they last. I think I had V2 or 3 originally, the sonic jump to V5 was huge.

Welp, sent off a message couple days ago with no response :/

It looks like I have either V1 or V2 . I was originally told it had V5 in it, so that's a little frustrating 
size]

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #2,427 of 2,441
Quote:
Does anyone know how to tell which version of the DSP unit I have? I don't think I have the latest version, since I still have the little dip switches. Any guides out and about on how to tell?

When Version 5 first came out some users sent their DSP modules to Audio GD to have the latest software downloaded onto them - later you could only get Version 5 if you purchased a new DSP module.

If you bought it used this COULD be the case (upgraded software on an older DSP module).

My DAC19-DSP came with Version 5 (according to Audio GD) and it shipped October 2010 which is approximately when Version 5 was released.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #2,428 of 2,441
When I was reviewing the Ref 7.1, I changed the V3 to the V5 and there was a much better focus of soundstage.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,429 of 2,441
Quote:

When Version 5 first came out some users sent their DSP modules to Audio GD to have the latest software downloaded onto them - later you could only get Version 5 if you purchased a new DSP module.

If you bought it used this COULD be the case (upgraded software on an older DSP module).

My DAC19-DSP came with Version 5 (according to Audio GD) and it shipped October 2010 which is approximately when Version 5 was released.

Didn't know that at all. Guess it's time to contact the man himself

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #2,430 of 2,441
Have had one of these for a few years now.  A great piece of equipment, I love the sound.  

I have had a question now for awhile just never remembered to post it.  If I am using it for 3+ hours (for example) I will notice that it starts to get a bit static-y. I popped the top off and the static stopped.  

The static also stops if I turn it off for a few mins and then turn it back on (though the static returns in this case).  So I am pretty sure its due to heat.  Has this been discussed already?  Has anyone experienced this?  This DAC gets super hot, so not surprising.  What exactly would be heating up and causing the static?

Again a great DAC and I will definitely not part with it, but if there is a mod I could do or something to alleviate the static, I would be most happy.  As it is, I just make sure the top is off and its well ventilated for extended sessions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back