Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Jul 25, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #916 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was being sarcastic. We got the same exact message.

I know he cares. I don't know how he even has the time to answer everyone's e-mails.

He was answering our posts here. He does that.

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #917 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peete,

When you say the relay has to lock on --- when I had the Opera amp if there was digital silence the relay would click back and forth... there is nothing like this in the REF1, is there?

No the RE1 doesn't do that at all.

Peete.

PS: Disclosure of problems and issues is paramount to this thread and the forum so no one should ever feel bad about posting the truth and what has happened. It's how it's dealt with afterward that is truly important. Kingwa is terrific when it comes to stepping up to the plate.

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #918 of 2,441
FWIW, my Ref 1 was basically perfect. No scratches, fingerprints, loose screws or anything. Maybe my only complaint would be that the sticker on the top was a bit gummy, but it came off with a bit of rubbing.

Also, I performed the DSP1 mainboard upgrade that he sent me for free (only paid for shipping), so I got very up close and personal with the insides. The solder work was excellent, the screws were all tight etc (Of course, the solder work I did was not nearly as good, but oh well). At least for my unit, the Ref1 was by far the most solid, best put together piece of equipment I can imagine.

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #919 of 2,441
I must thank you as I placed an order for both Ref1 and Phoenix. I am sure it'll be in a top shape, thanks to you pointing out some of the qc issues.

Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If nothing else I am glad he got a chance to see the photos, and now we should see future improvements in his QC process. This is the best possible outcome to bringing up this issue. Notice I didn't complain, just fixed the problem and put it out for discussion. If this is all it takes for Kingwa and Audio-gd to fix their issues we'll all benefit from open and non-attacking discussions of issues.

/rant off

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #920 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That will be a great Combo!

The other great Combo I just heard recently was the:

REF1 >> CAST >> Phoenix >> Lawton LA7000

Every time I put on the LA7000s, my Mouth just involuntarily said WOW!

No exageration! I caught myslef doing it over and over. That's how I know I have to mod my D5000s or get the LA7000s. Sounded awesome with the REF1<<>>Phoenix Combo.

[size=small]Are you able to remark on the differences between the D7000 vs. LA7000?[/size]

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #921 of 2,441
If you think the LA7000 sound good, you really need to hear the HD800.
wink.gif
You might wet your pants.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #922 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmswjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]Are you able to remark on the differences between the D7000 vs. LA7000?[/size]

No, I would like to hear the progression from D7000 to LA7000. Most have said the Mod'd D5000s kill the D7000s stock. I imagine it is close to the D5000 differences I heard though. The D5000 >> LA7000 was startling. Everytime I put on the D7000s I said WOW and smiled. I hated to send them back.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #923 of 2,441
Kingwa should get all the credit!
wink_face.gif
His business sense and engineering skills are going to place him as a serious contender in this industry. And I for one am super glad he is building this gear and making it available to us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must thank you as I placed an order for both Ref1 and Phoenix. I am sure it'll be in a top shape, thanks to you pointing out some of the qc issues.

Thanks again.

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #924 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks again.

Its always good to bring such issues in the open, especially if the opposite end is responsive, which is beneficial for both. I hope with A-GD new and bigger factory coming up in August, Kingwa will have the opportunity to organize and straighten out the QC issues and maybe even open up a new department (he actually should) which actually does not require skilled workers and easy to find, unlike skilled workers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Followed by, "Kill the Riddick. Kill the Fureon!"

It didn't wow me right out of the box as both it and the amp were cold. Within an hour the WOW kicked in, and continues to wow with each new song I play. The iPod is playing its entire catalog on a continuous play, and I'm guessing within a day or two it will be stunning. Especially if this is how good it sounds already.

Doug,
Thank you for the initial impressions on REF1, every time I hear the REF1 it sounds so good, that I keep coming back to the forum to see if someone else shares the same view. In my case, somehow I could not hear the REF1 out of the box but only after a couple of hours after it warmed up - so it was kind of wow from the first go. I am sure you will experience the further improvement and opening up of REF1 SQ as it ages.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #925 of 2,441
This picture shows the front panel with the buttons. I can't tell whether he used the wrong button for the left side (Reset button) and the hole is too big, or if it just the reflection of the flash. I'm waiting to hear a response.

img0800l.jpg

Overall inside view. It looks like the CAST modules and transformers have not been put in yet. (I will be doing most of the burning in here.) You can also see the Cardas Litz wire going to the RCA and XLR outputs.

img0801o.jpg

A close-up shot of the BNC/RCA input 1 and BNC input 2 connected to the push button.

img0803d.jpg

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #926 of 2,441
[size=x-small]The NOS switch in [front] panel not effect SQ but we make by handwork so not look good.
Kingwa

After receiving this response, along with learning that it would delay shipment, made me opt for the standard version.[/size]

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #927 of 2,441
Kingwa showed me a close up picture. It looks horrible.

Here is a large hi-res picture of it. However, he is going to have a professional one made for me at the factory which will take 10 days, and then he needs to install the switches. At that point he will send me the new panel and I will have Kyle at RAM install it for me.

img0805gws.jpg

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #929 of 2,441
Phil,

Can you resize your photos down a little smaller? Like maybe a max of 800 pixels wide please??

biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #930 of 2,441
Has anyone tried playing with the various switch settings on this DAC to see how they affect the sound? Some sound interesting, like the PLL, stopband attenuation, oversampling, and dithering.

Guess once I get about a week with this unit I'll start toying with some DIP switches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back