Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Apr 20, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #226 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I'm on 220-240V power grid. I haven't tried it anywhere else. Though the owner said that he didn't hear any hum at his workplace (and they have grounded sockets there). I have grounded sockets in my bathroom. I quickly plugged the DAC there and the hum was still present. So no can do, it's there. I still want to try the DAC19 though.

Actually it isn't even so audible. It got very quiet after I turned the power cord plug 180 degrees in the socket. It's pretty much inaudible from 1 meter. My listening spot is about three meters from the DAC/amp.

It's just that I'm so perfectionist with this kind of things. It just might bother me to know that the hum is there.
smily_headphones1.gif

I already e-mailed Kingwa and I'm waiting for his response.

This is what ProAc's web page says:

Sensitivity
86db linear for 1 watt at 1 metre

But maybe you misunderstood me. There's no noise from the speakers. The noise comes from the Compass itself and has something to do with the electricity in my apartment. It has nothing to do with the speakers.

thanks for response

these are actually good news.
I thought that ,there is some hum generated by PS himself.
But if this is from the wall.DAc's are sensitive for EMI/EFI.
You should try to use some purifier.
I set my dac with basic audio magic digital (200$ used) and a quality progress I got is really amazing.Best PS upgrade you can do for really small money.And one more info which might be useful :this conditioner does not kill dynamic at all.Just filtering noise ,in result you have better background ,much blacker ,plus vast holography improvement .With further pleasure with good pcs.

cheers
greg

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #227 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it unacceptable, because it's too audible?

Both my Compass and my Reference One have a slight hum from the power supply. The Ref One less than the Compass. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to affect sound quality noticeably. Perhaps it disappears with some good power conditioning, but I haven't got around to trying that yet. However, based on this there does seem to be a good chance that the DAC-19 will have a slight hum with the mains in your house as well.

Perhaps you should ask Kingwa if there are some easy solutions to this. If needs be, I think he would be able to throw a cheap power conditioner together for you even.

Hallo Drosera

Are you sure it's a PS hum?
Do you have any power conditioner switched to the wall?
greg

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #228 of 2,441
Patu and Dro...if either one of you can borrow a line conditioner from a friend that may help.

It's a worthwhile expenditure in the long run IMO.

Peete.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #229 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patu and Dro...if either one of you can borrow a line conditioner from a friend that may help.

Peete.

Back when I owned Rega Mira3 and had similar problems with it, I borrowed some kind of high end conditioner from one of our local hifi dealers. It didn't help with the problem.

I'm going to pay my order for DAC19 most probably today or tomorrow. I hope the hum is unnoticeable with it.

By the way, Kingwa hasn't answered to my e-mail which I sent last evening. Usually he answers in few hours. Maybe he had day off or something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #230 of 2,441
It might be worthwhile to have a electrician evaluate your wiring Patu ...something isn't right somewhere. You stuff should be silent.

Maybe you have a ground loop issue that may require some unorthodox measures such as something from Ebtech Audio

Here is a ground loop FAQ from Ebtech that may help a little....http://www.ebtechaudio.com/findloop.pdf

Here is the main website url...Ebtech - Hum Eliminator - MADE IN USA

Peete.

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #231 of 2,441
Quote:

It might be worthwhile to have a electrician evaluate your wiring Patu ...something isn't right somewhere. You stuff should be silent.

Maybe you have a ground loop issue that may require some unorthodox measures such as something from Ebtech Audio

Here is a ground loop FAQ from Ebtech that may help a little....http://www.ebtechaudio.com/findloop.pdf

Here is the main website url...Ebtech - Hum Eliminator - MADE IN USA

Peete.

My current gear is dead silent. It only happens with some gear. I've experienced it only with Rega Mira3 and Storm Digital D02 DAC before Compass. Everything else has been dead silent.

I returned the Compass to its owner today and he said he was able to hear the hum when he brought his ear very close to the amp. And that happened in a new office building with grounded sockets. Though the hum was almost inaudible he said.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #234 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregdee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hallo Drosera

Are you sure it's a PS hum?
Do you have any power conditioner switched to the wall?
greg

Well, it's a hum and it comes from the PS (from the transformer, to be precise), what else would it be?
smily_headphones1.gif

I have only have some minor peak filtering now, no proper power conditioning.

Quote:

I'll probably look for some kind of power line conditioning solution in the future. I guess it's proving unavoidable. God, I hate this hobby!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I'm still wondering whether the whole Audio-gd hum issue isn't related to 230V voltage. Most of the reports do seem to come from Europe. I certainly haven't experienced this issue with any other equipment either, just the Audio-gd stuff. Oh well, only one way to find out I guess....

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #235 of 2,441
Quote:

I'm still wondering whether the whole Audio-gd hum issue isn't related to 230V voltage. Most of the reports do seem to come from Europe. I certainly haven't experienced this issue with any other equipment either, just the Audio-gd stuff. Oh well, only one way to find out I guess....

But they are also 230V in China
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #236 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Yes, I know, it didn't really make sense to me either.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #237 of 2,441
Quote:

Well, it's a hum and it comes from the PS (from the transformer, to be precise), what else would it be?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll probably look for some kind of power line conditioning solution in the future. I guess it's proving unavoidable. God, I hate this hobby!
biggrin.gif

Well, all trafos are the same of course ,but some of them has some hum ,some not.Maybe your one is humming.Pette's one is silent for instance.
I can understand that ,due to I had similar troubles in the past.
Usually checking ground loop helped.This stuff is traveling a long way ,and couriers do not treat them like a lovers ,so it is always worth to be checked.

cheers
greg

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #238 of 2,441
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

you right mate ,I hate it too

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #239 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

I do not think so ,it's a point.
I am sure that any international supplier has his PS circuit properly researched before being applied to the finished design.That's about building trust for the brand and that's simple like that.I'm rather sure that stuff is right leaving factory after checking period and most of problems happens during a shipping .

You know ,long way - hard treating.
Have you ever seen like these guys throwing boxes?
It's not difficult to drop it down.

greg

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #240 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenshin21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really interested in one of these. I heard the current price is a promo price. Anybody have any idea how long it will last?

No idea , mail them to ask
biggrin.gif

Anyway do not wait for ,just order if you can at the moment

greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back