Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Jun 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,431 of 2,441
Quote:
Have had one of these for a few years now.  A great piece of equipment, I love the sound.  

I have had a question now for awhile just never remembered to post it.  If I am using it for 3+ hours (for example) I will notice that it starts to get a bit static-y. I popped the top off and the static stopped.  

The static also stops if I turn it off for a few mins and then turn it back on (though the static returns in this case).  So I am pretty sure its due to heat.  Has this been discussed already?  Has anyone experienced this?  This DAC gets super hot, so not surprising.  What exactly would be heating up and causing the static?

Again a great DAC and I will definitely not part with it, but if there is a mod I could do or something to alleviate the static, I would be most happy.  As it is, I just make sure the top is off and its well ventilated for extended sessions...

Hey there's another user around here! 

I love this little unit still. Whenever I'm in the mood and turn it on, and let 'er warm up. Incredibly holographic imaging. 

I don't believe your specific issue has been discussed. I'm actually having this exact issue with an Audio-GD opamp though! I would message King-wa and hope to get some help there.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #2,433 of 2,441
Yes, I am. In 2 ways all these years after having sold off the NFB11.32...

1) Feeding this Reference One DAC with a OPPO 83SE ( modded by Sound Affairs ) as a transport. It sounded audibly better with a wider sound stage and more listenable details then it's original player line out. It also sounded more musical.

2) Using my Ibasso DX90 as a transport for all my MP3, Flac dff & dfs file at 24bit / 88.2 khz, which i also find very easy to listen on extended basis.

I have listen to 24 bit /192khz format from my PC sound card and i still find Audio GD DSP1/V5  24/96 format very nice decent to my ears.

I have thought of upgrading to audio GD master 7, but what a waste to chuck away the Reference 1.

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #2,434 of 2,441
sorry, just gotta chime in and say I love the '56k warning' 

Wow, what a throwback into time!  :D 

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,436 of 2,441
Hi guys,

Sorry to dig out this old thread .  I am looking for some opinions here and also share some information for the people who are still using and loving this great beast.

Just want to ask is there anybody has converted  the REF1 to NOS model with NOS Ver2 firmware update?  Because  the upgrade need to cut two pins from the DSP board, so it is kind of  hard to revise it back if I don't like the conversion.

Since I need a decent preamp to setup my speaker system, I bought an used Master 11 and tried to sell the ref 1. Unfortunately nobody seems interested this old guy. I am thinking just keep it .

Compared the Master 11's DAC (4 pcs 1704) part with the REF 1,I more like the warmer, relaxer sound signature from the ref1. If just play 44.1k thru Spdif input I think the Ref 1 still is a better DAC over Master 11.  So I was thinking about convert the Master 11 to NOS 11 which has a warmer sound than Master 11. I did some research on the internet, I found some people also  upgraded their Ref 1 to the newest NOS model in Audio-GD's Chinese forum. I confirmed this with Kingwa and purchased the NOS upgrade clock modules and firmware for both Master 11 and Ref 1. Kingwa also told me that I can convert the spdif  input to an I2S input with an external USB interface than I can use this old guy to play 384k.  Some people installed an Amanero USB board instead of other inputs on their ref 7, but I am not sure if this can be done on the older brother ref 1.

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2,438 of 2,441
I got the Ref 1 many years, and want to revitalize it.
What could be done to upgrade this remarkable DAC.
What could be offered from Audio-GD?

I think the info you want is in the post directly above yours, haha.

Seems you can upgrade/change it to NOS via the newest DSP boards or swap the input types, etc. Impressively, it seems even 10 years ago, Kingwa was implementing a modular DAC format that had upgradablity at its core. Hats off to him for that.

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #2,440 of 2,441
Kingwa has very good services, I have my Reference 1 upgraded to 384K I2S input with his help after I bought the Ref 1 ten years.

It gave my Ref 1 new life.

This is very interesting. Is it difficult? Any soldering necessary?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back