Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Jul 1, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #691 of 2,441
yes i did
tongue.gif

Though am waiting for the tech guys to get back to me about that intermittent crackle. Otherwise that 90$ processor had better highs and details than the Ref1. However the Ref1 was superior in the bass and mids.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #692 of 2,441
Some people just like the sound of cheap sources.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure your processor does not have better highs, I'm sure it has louder highs that are accentuated and flavored to your liking.

How much did you sell it for? Remember I wanted to buy it too.

But before Kingwa makes the REF-1 for me, I will ask him about putting in a better quality clock like the Ultraclock or DEXA Neutron Star.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #694 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people just like the sound of cheap sources.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure your processor does not have better highs, I'm sure it has louder highs that are accentuated and flavored to your liking.

How much did you sell it for? Remember I wanted to buy it too.

But before Kingwa makes the REF-1 for me, I will ask him about putting in a better quality clock like the Ultraclock or DEXA Neutron Star.

hmm..yeah this "cheap" source used to sell for 1000$ back in the mid 90s.

Dude..u are just beggin for an ass whopping with your retard comments here and in my IC thread. Am done here.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #695 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell me if the Ref-1 can accept a 24/192 signal (even if it downconverts it to 24/96)? I am considering the Musiland Monitor 01 converter from my computer.

Kingwa originally told me it would accept and downsample to 96. Send me a file and I'll try to play it.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #696 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell me if the Ref-1 can accept a 24/192 signal (even if it downconverts it to 24/96)? I am considering the Musiland Monitor 01 converter from my computer.

I have a Ref1 and Musiland Monitor. 24/96 works great with that combo, but I tried a 24/192 flac file and I don't get any sound. By comparison, my Cambridge 840C can play the 24/192 stream but says it's 20/192.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #697 of 2,441
Are you happy with the Monitor? Have you compared it to others? I may sell my Bel Canto USB Link and get this to fund other things. I have read that convertors don't have much sound quality differences (except for maybe the really high end ones that cost as much as the Ref-1!)

Thanks Les but Mik answered the question about the Monitor working with the Ref-1.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #698 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm..yeah this "cheap" source used to sell for 1000$ back in the mid 90s.

Angstrom processor by Moffat?

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #699 of 2,441
I'm happy with the Monitor, yes. It replaced a Trends UD-10.1 for me. Between the Bel Canto and the Monitor I don't know whether there will be much of a difference in sound quality. I have heard significant differences in usb audio quality in the past however. My Trends and Monitor both sound noticeably better than my Cambridge DacMagic over usb, for example.

Between the Monitor, Bel Canto, and most other usb to spdif converts the differences will mainly be in features and support. The Monitor requires drivers to use it and I don't know if there is any Mac support. I also haven't tried it with Vista or Windows 7. I can tell you it works great in XP though. It also has bnc (which Kingwa prefers to use with his DACs), coaxial, and optical outputs where I think the Bel Canto only has one output. On the Monitor you can use multiple of the digital outputs at once. The Monitor is also a lot cheaper than the Bel Canto.

Also, Audio-gd will be releasing the Reference 3 digital converter/reclocker soon. It may have more of an effect on sound quality than either the Monitor or the Bel Canto but I believe the Ref3 will be limited to 16/48 over usb, from which it can upsample to 24/192.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #701 of 2,441
As I understand it, the Ref3 isn't a DAC at all. It upsamples and reclocks digital audio from various digital inputs and outputs again in digital. It's closer to a transport than a DAC. I think it might use some of the same components as the CD7 transport only for getting audio from a computer and other sources.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #702 of 2,441
I sent an email to Kingwa asking whether the Ref3 will be coming available (after the trial period). I will let you know what he says.

I want to add my impression of the Ref-1 after a couple of months now. The real test for me is whether I am thinking about the sound I'm hearing (wondering if it could be better, refined, etc.) or just enjoying it. With the Ref-1, I am just enjoying the music and frequently revel in the quality of the sound- completely without color or harshness of any kind, completely lacking a digital sound unlike my old Musiland MD10 which sounded harsh and edgy in comparison (I thought is was great at the time, and is good for the $). Treble is my biggest test to overcome with any equipment (or recording for that matter) and the Ref-1 doesn't just do it right, it does it without any degree of grain or listener fatigue, at any volume. I can't imagine better for the money. So I guess you can count me as a fan of Audio-gd. This same praise and enjoyment carries over for the FBI-500 as well.
Tim

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #703 of 2,441
RE the Ref3:

"Dear Tim,
We are testing the converter now, Because it apply programmable DSP chips, so the test most in the software, not like other immovable chips.
I think want one or two months for test.
I will offer the lowest price later.
Kingwa"

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #704 of 2,441
How in the hell does this thread end up being the everything but the RE1 general talk forum ?

I like yakking about all this stuff as much as the next guy but let's do that in the appropriate threads guys...please ?

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back