Audio-gd R2R 11
Mar 15, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #421 of 776
Having used low end audio-gd equipment, both of my equipment have failed. it's already more than two years so I don't have the cash to send it back.
Both things that have failed are the PSU. My DI-2014 burned to death, same with my r2r 11. Maybe Kingwa should only use better quality PSUs?
Has anyone here had problems with the PSU dying?

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #422 of 776
Having used low end audio-gd equipment, both of my equipment have failed. it's already more than two years so I don't have the cash to send it back.
Both things that have failed are the PSU. My DI-2014 burned to death, same with my r2r 11. Maybe Kingwa should only use better quality PSUs?
Has anyone here had problems with the PSU dying?
Same here for R2R11, after a few months already actually (late 2018). I ordered it at Magna Hifi and they said it was the first time they heard about it while selling dozens of them per month. Apparently the transformer had died. They recommended against leaving it on permanently.

Mar 30, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #424 of 776
Is there any way to use equalizer with the R2R-11?
Yes, If your media player has support for equalizer. Foobar 2000 can do with some additional setup.

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #426 of 776
That's a bit of a tricky question. We've got a discussion over on the R2R main thread if you'd like details, but to summarize...

There were/are 2 noises that occurred during playback

- The R2R 11 had one type of (to my ears) very low level noise that was present in all DSD playback. I would not have characterized it as a crackle myself, but noises are hard for me to describe... more of a hiss/static to me. Note - to my ears this was never objectionable. I don't listen to much DSD, but if I squinted my eyes and held my nose just right, I could hear it. That noise was constant in tone and amplitude. The upgrade removed (ok technically just reduced) that specific noise. It was specific to the R2R-11 (in the current R2R line of products). Kingwa confirmed that. I never heard it with an R-1 or R-8.
- There is (what I'd describe) as a weird noise during quiet passages or "silence" with some tracks. The opening seconds of a track will reveal its presence instantly to me if it is there. That noise is present in all the current A-GD R2R DACs I own and that some others own. Kingwa is now aware of it and studying the situation. It is only with some tracks from certain sources. It does not occur with all DSD tracks.

So, in summary... what I've recommended is that if DSD is an extremely important part of a music library, then the A-GD R2R DACs may not be the best choice at this time. There's a known issue without a known solution with some tracks. With other tracks (all of the music I own) it plays flawlessly. However, I've downloaded a few of the tracks with the issue, and it is 100% there. The cause and the subsequent solution are not yet known.
While all complainants have already upgraded a gear to R28, it is my new DAC and I found something interesting.

As reported, DSD source is polluted with something difficult to explain, it feels weird on all tracks. A sound is losing a naturality comparing to the same recording in PCM format. I am not sure whether it is attributed only to this DAC or to DSD in general, as my other DAC $130 Topping D30 with a fake opamps sounds like a s$^@ also in PCM.

Some tracks exibit an extraordinary 'noise' in quiet pasages, frequently noticed on the beginning and end of tracks. It is like listening to AM radio, but AM radio reception is subject to a random noise, this is not a random noise. Exactly the same polution will repeat again when listening in the loop and will dissappear when sound goes completely silent. In other words, there is an added amplitude modulated component by some non-linear internal transfer function producing artefacts 100% correlated with signal. When playing DSD tracks converted to PCM there is no such artefacts.

Taking a close look at the recording "Arne Domnerus Sextett - The Music of Georg Riedel (1982/2016)" reveals interesting thing. A track #9 "Kommentar" ends with a strong accord. Do 'noise' appear immediately? NOT! It only appears after one second of silence! It suggests that DSD signal is subject to a dynamic compression before entering decoder, an analog volume compensation is added during or after conversion, it could be in my brain??? KINGWA, WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! Dolby, again?

Album: Arne Domnerus Sextett - The Music of Georg Riedel (1982/2016)
Source: DSF128 tracks, 2xHD Web distribution.

In this and all other 2xHD mastering transfers labeled "From Original Analog Master" I have, there are gaps of a digital silence inserted betweeen tracks. This is a poor mastering practice as a master tape is recorded continuously, however this digital silence helps to identify problem. It is easy to notice artefacts on the end of the track, followed by a moment of silence, then a 'noise' comes back for 1/4 second on the beginning of next track. When converted to PCM, there is very low noise floor, so this digital silence is not noticed. A dynamic compression is revealed on the end of track #9 as mentioned on the start.

Some other albums:

- Kenny G - Breathless (2015) [SACD]
End of the first track, didn't check more. A poor mastering with clicks between tracks similar to 2xHD

- Barb Jungr - Chanson: The Space In Between (Linn Records 2001 SACD)
Artefacts heard mostly on the end of tracks

- SACD Sampler Concord Jazz Vol. 2
A professionaly made mastering with no clicks between tracks, the same problem.

I was never a fan of SACD. It has good features and not so good too. These days it doesn't sound better than a good recording with 24/96kHz sampling rate. As it is easier to implement a cheap DSD converter than PCM, there are people who still stands for SACD. R2R-11 is an excellent PCM DAC with a vinyl-like signature. I convert all my DSD files to the 176.4kHz PCM, it is done on the fly with Foobar2000.

R2R-11 is an excellent DAC giving a taste of high-end equipment I cannot afford. All music sounds real without broken harmonics normally associated with DS converters. I can listen for hours without any sign of fatigue. A broken DSD decoding doesn't bother me. The preamp is also high quality on RCA outputs and a powerful HPA. It drives Senny HD600 with high resolution. Who says HD600 has no bass? :)

My other toy is also a ladder type: $42 Nobsound 8xTDA1387 DAC/HPA from Aliexpress. I take it with me on the road, it is portable, it works with all of phones I tried.

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #427 of 776
While all complainants have already upgraded a gear to R28, it is my new DAC and I found something interesting.

As reported, DSD source is polluted with something difficult to explain, it feels weird on all tracks. A sound is losing a naturality comparing to the same recording in PCM format. I am not sure whether it is attributed only to this DAC or to DSD in general, as my other DAC $130 Topping D30 with a fake opamps sounds like a s$^@ also in PCM.

Some tracks exibit an extraordinary 'noise' in quiet pasages, frequently noticed on the beginning and end of tracks. It is like listening to AM radio, but AM radio reception is subject to a random noise, this is not a random noise. Exactly the same polution will repeat again when listening in the loop and will dissappear when sound goes completely silent. In other words, there is an added amplitude modulated component by some non-linear internal transfer function producing artefacts 100% correlated with signal. When playing DSD tracks converted to PCM there is no such artefacts.

Taking a close look at the recording "Arne Domnerus Sextett - The Music of Georg Riedel (1982/2016)" reveals interesting thing. A track #9 "Kommentar" ends with a strong accord. Do 'noise' appear immediately? NOT! It only appears after one second of silence! It suggests that DSD signal is subject to a dynamic compression before entering decoder, an analog volume compensation is added during or after conversion, it could be in my brain??? KINGWA, WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! Dolby, again?

Album: Arne Domnerus Sextett - The Music of Georg Riedel (1982/2016)
Source: DSF128 tracks, 2xHD Web distribution.

In this and all other 2xHD mastering transfers labeled "From Original Analog Master" I have, there are gaps of a digital silence inserted betweeen tracks. This is a poor mastering practice as a master tape is recorded continuously, however this digital silence helps to identify problem. It is easy to notice artefacts on the end of the track, followed by a moment of silence, then a 'noise' comes back for 1/4 second on the beginning of next track. When converted to PCM, there is very low noise floor, so this digital silence is not noticed. A dynamic compression is revealed on the end of track #9 as mentioned on the start.

Some other albums:

- Kenny G - Breathless (2015) [SACD]
End of the first track, didn't check more. A poor mastering with clicks between tracks similar to 2xHD

- Barb Jungr - Chanson: The Space In Between (Linn Records 2001 SACD)
Artefacts heard mostly on the end of tracks

- SACD Sampler Concord Jazz Vol. 2
A professionaly made mastering with no clicks between tracks, the same problem.

I was never a fan of SACD. It has good features and not so good too. These days it doesn't sound better than a good recording with 24/96kHz sampling rate. As it is easier to implement a cheap DSD converter than PCM, there are people who still stands for SACD. R2R-11 is an excellent PCM DAC with a vinyl-like signature. I convert all my DSD files to the 176.4kHz PCM, it is done on the fly with Foobar2000.

R2R-11 is an excellent DAC giving a taste of high-end equipment I cannot afford. All music sounds real without broken harmonics normally associated with DS converters. I can listen for hours without any sign of fatigue. A broken DSD decoding doesn't bother me. The preamp is also high quality on RCA outputs and a powerful HPA. It drives Senny HD600 with high resolution. Who says HD600 has no bass? :)

My other toy is also a ladder type: $42 Nobsound 8xTDA1387 DAC/HPA from Aliexpress. I take it with me on the road, it is portable, it works with all of phones I tried.

I still can't find a dac that sounds more real than the R2R11, more technical, ofcourse.

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #428 of 776
Anyone in the UK/EU who would sell their R2R11 shipping to/within UK ?

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #429 of 776
Look on the audio-gd site you will find links to at least 2 European dealers.

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #431 of 776
Oct 1, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #432 of 776
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #433 of 776
Thanks !
Generally, I've found over the past 7 years it gets the fastest response vs there.
No-one usually kicks up stink in under 5 minutes like you...chill bro.
Look in the mirror buddy. I pointed out where you could find EU shops and you took offense. Nobody can read your mind and nobody has to.

Welcome to my ignore list :D

Oct 1, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #434 of 776
Look in the mirror buddy. I pointed out where you could find EU shops and you took offense. Nobody can read your mind and nobody has to.

Welcome to my ignore list :D
I never took offense, I just wanted a used R2R as was evident from my first simple post.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

Oct 11, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #435 of 776
Jumpers out is the slightly warmer setting I guess ? I received an R2R from with no jumpers in it last week.

Anyway, loving the presentation...the solidity of the low-end etc.

Wish there was an R2R between this one and the next level up (R28) around the mid-price of the 2..quite a jump to the next R2R DAC/Amp model on their site.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back