Audio-gd R2R 11
Jan 25, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #106 of 776
selling r2r11 brand new (received yesterday). selling because I just called audio-gd and was told the r2r11 noise issue when connected to airport express is a design tradeoff (no muting circuit) instead of defect. audio-gd allowed me to send it back but i just figured some of you might be interested. i'm in austin texas.

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #107 of 776
selling r2r11 brand new (received yesterday). selling because I just called audio-gd and was told the r2r11 noise issue when connected to airport express is a design tradeoff (no muting circuit) instead of defect. audio-gd allowed me to send it back but i just figured some of you might be interested. i'm in austin texas.
Try another dac with the same setup. Hearing noise for 2 seconds seems to indicate some temporary transmission problem with your airport. In which case you would have issues with other dacs. Your can also try to plug you airport with an ethernet cable and see if it fixes the issue. I strongly doubt the issue is with the r2r 11.

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #108 of 776
Try another dac with the same setup. Hearing noise for 2 seconds seems to indicate some temporary transmission problem with your airport. In which case you would have issues with other dacs. Your can also try to plug you airport with an ethernet cable and see if it fixes the issue. I strongly doubt the issue is with the r2r 11.

thanks. tried that and much more. called audio-gd was told possibly due to lack of muting circuit

Jan 27, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #109 of 776
a friend just brought his audio-gd nfb2 and c2 stack. noise free with ipad airport express. switch to r2r11, noise again. well can anyone here with r2r11 try it with airport express for airplay?

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #110 of 776
a friend just brought his audio-gd nfb2 and c2 stack. noise free with ipad airport express. switch to r2r11, noise again. well can anyone here with r2r11 try it with airport express for airplay?
I will get my unit on Monday. I will try it with my airport express and let you know. I think you unit might be defective. Ping me to remind me if i don't come back to you.

But in the mean time, i suggest you try it with your tv, cable box or any other source outputting toslink pcm.

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #111 of 776
I will get my unit on Monday. I will try it with my airport express and let you know. I think you unit might be defective. Ping me to remind me if i don't come back to you.

But in the mean time, i suggest you try it with your tv, cable box or any other source outputting toslink pcm.

that's awesome. i called audio-gd and ask them to test it with airport express but they refused. i'm eager to find out this issue is with my unit or, as audio-gd said, it's a desgin trade off as r2r11 doesn't have the muting circuit as other chip-based units.

I tried tv and bluray players. little noise here and there but not as serious as the ipad airplay. macbook pro airplay through airport express has similar noise problems but only occasionally. ipad airport express constantly generate noise each time i start playing. stop for a couple of seconds then start again, noise again.

another minor issue: when i connect my oppo bluray player to r2r11, both coaxial and optical ports are connected and play with the coaxial, the left channel sometimes doesn't have sound. if i remove the optical cable, back to normal. it's weird.

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #112 of 776
that's awesome. i called audio-gd and ask them to test it with airport express but they refused. i'm eager to find out this issue is with my unit or, as audio-gd said, it's a desgin trade off as r2r11 doesn't have the muting circuit as other chip-based units.

I tried tv and bluray players. little noise here and there but not as serious as the ipad airplay. macbook pro airplay through airport express has similar noise problems but only occasionally. ipad airport express constantly generate noise each time i start playing. stop for a couple of seconds then start again, noise again.

another minor issue: when i connect my oppo bluray player to r2r11, both coaxial and optical ports are connected and play with the coaxial, the left channel sometimes doesn't have sound. if i remove the optical cable, back to normal. it's weird.
There might be cross-talk between the digital input. Turning off any unused unit should cure the problem. Or at least try not playing music on the unused input. As for the Airport express, there is no reason it should be noisier than any other optical source. It could be defective.

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #113 of 776
I had high hopes in Audio-GD R2R 11. But it turned out to be a disappointing experience and I sold it after two days of ownership :)

1. In A/B testing, I favored my cheaper Maverick Audio D2 DAC. But it's likely that the R2R 11 needs some breaking-in time.
2. I hear scary noise each time I start playing when hooked up with airport express for airplay. Stop/pause for 10 seconds and resume playing again, scary noise again. It's unbearable. I tried two other different DACs (maverick audio D2 and audio-gd nfb2) in exactly the same setup, other DACs don't produce such noise. I tried different cables, different airport express, different computers/ipads, problem remains. After calling Audio-GD, was told it's likely due to the fact that R2R 11 doesn't have a muting circuit.
3. I tested R2R11 with oppo bluray player. When I connect both optical and coaxial and switch to coaxial on R2R11, my left channel is silent. If I switch to optical on R2R11, no problem. If I connect the optical port to another device and only coaxial to oppo, there's sound from left channel but several seconds delay in the beginning. This doesn't bother me much and I won't use R2R11 this way was just testing.
4. Audio-GD insisted shipping it back to china, but failed to promise to cover the shipping cost. Saying they'll follow their own testing procedure. If it passes the test, I'll have to cover the shipping cost my cost. Well, not worth the time, effort, and risk. I sold it to a local friend who only plays USB.
5. I don't blame Audio-GD. I understand they got many good reviews but unfortunately it didn't work out for me. I then read many reviews about Audio-GD posted in Chinese forums, the reviews are neutral at best. The chinese audiophiles are aware of the reputaton of Audio-GD from overseas but it's defintely not their go-to brand. I was amazed how audiophiles inside and outside China view Audio-GD so differently. Maybe guys in china know many other options in china but we don't.

I personally won't buy again but it may still be a great option for you :) I'm going to explore other chinese brands :)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #115 of 776
I have R2R-11 for more than week now, paired with my HE400i. I am very satisfied with purchase. This combo is really nice sounding. But, as Audio-gd mentioned on their site, the sound should not fit everyone. It is sweet box and I can highly recommend. I have no problem with any noise. I can hear click after start playing, but is so subtle and it is not disturbing me. What is interesting, I was not blowed away by the sound after first listening, but as longer I have it, I am liking it more and more each day. Sound is so full and authoritative, very musical and enjoyable. Like it a lot!

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #116 of 776
I have R2R-11 for more than week now, paired with my HE400i. I am very satisfied with purchase. This combo is really nice sounding. But, as Audio-gd mentioned on their site, the sound should not fit everyone. It is sweet box and I can highly recommend. I have no problem with any noise. I can hear click after start playing, but is so subtle and it is not disturbing me. What is interesting, I was not blowed away by the sound after first listening, but as longer I have it, I am liking it more and more each day. Sound is so full and authoritative, very musical and enjoyable. Like it a lot!
I got mine a few days ago as well, i love it.

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #117 of 776
Could you try testing it with an airport express please? To see if you also have the noise atx2014 mentioned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back