Audio-gd R2R 11
May 22, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #228 of 776
Thank you, I got the unit for couple of months now, I dearly love it but also know it's limitations.
Then it's heaphones dependent. I tried mine with a few. To have good sub bass, you need a rather easy load. Another trick is to use a 14awg power cord. This helps with bass.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #229 of 776
The problem is in the dac not the amp. Tested the R2R dac feeding the CMA600i, same result on the bass region.
What you’re hearing is the sound profile of the ladder dac vs the delta sigma AK dac in the 600i. The R2R is smooth and organic compared to the more digital and resolving DS dac. The details are there, but are more laid back and not ‘in your face’. That’s where you’re hearing the ‘extra’ bass detail - which is also there with the R2R bit less prominent and more balanced in the mix. I personally prefer the R2R sound but I can see the appeal of the AK dac as well.

LDC2C and 660S. The bass is there but not the punch I was hoping for. I love the sound but now Im thinking about the Lyr3 with a multibit.
I don’t think either of those headphones can be considered truly ‘punchy’. The LCD will have more textures and extended bass but won’t have the punch of a good dynamic headphone. The Senn, well, let’s just say bass is not its strong point. Don’t think a change of amp will make a difference, but a change of headphone might :wink:

May 22, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #231 of 776
One of my favorite album with the r2r 11, as far as bass and dynamics are concerned, is Harry Connick Jr. - She. What a blast to listen to with the r2r 11/k553 combination. Very crisp. Not just that. The tonality is just perfect.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #233 of 776
I finally pulled the trigger and have one of these now. I was interested in the R2R 11 since first reading about it and this thread did very little to dissuade me. First impression are that this is a step up in lifelikeness to what I had. Funny someone should find the bass punch lacking, on first listening it actually stood out to me as very fine; enough presence but not exaggerated.

Going to keep it running over the next couple of days to see if it improves.

May 26, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #237 of 776
Nice merchandise sells fast, innit?

May 30, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #240 of 776
Guys, would you mind verifying with me a couple of things about R2R and its (normal?) specs? Yes, I love the form factor, I/O, sound an powaaaa, but I need to verify a few observations I need to verify with you, guys.

My obsevations:
- Waking PC from sleep - sometimes the videos on YT will not load and sound will not work in general -- powering off and on is required;
- Good old popping when you turn on/off, switch media (BUT NOT ALWAYS, sometimes it does, sometimes it does not), especially when I switch to speakers and have higher volume (pre-amp mode), input is USB;
- After switching gain (L>H, H>L) and raising volume from zero, then on the first raise between 7-11 o'clock it makes crackling (like when you block radio antenna) noises in the headphones/speakers, lowering and raising again is ok and there is no more crackling, unless I switch gain and start raising from 0;
- Analog-ish (white/pink noise style) noise raising its intensity with the raising volume (noticeable especially after 1 o'clock);
- Transformer buzzing (the level you can hear when it is quieter around) which you can hear up to 70-80 cm (80cm =~ 2 feet 7½ inches) away from the front panel of the device (on a desk);
- Starting at ~2 o'clock to maximum volume if you feed any signal (so let's say you have a song with an extremely quiet passage or you just pause the song) you get a weird "sine-wave" sounding noise, here is the sample)

All these were tested (if possible) with no source, no output when testing symptoms on headphones; especially to mitigate any common-mode noises. Everything testing on multiple power sockets with no other devices plugged in and on one socket on a completely independent power circuit.

If you find a time to get through these, let me know, if you experience similar things or if there is anything which you don't experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back