Audio-gd R2R 11
May 30, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #241 of 770
Guys, would you mind verifying with me a couple of things about R2R and its (normal?) specs? Yes, I love the form factor, I/O, sound an powaaaa, but I need to verify a few observations I need to verify with you, guys.

My obsevations:
- Waking PC from sleep - sometimes the videos on YT will not load and sound will not work in general -- powering off and on is required;
- Good old popping when you turn on/off, switch media (BUT NOT ALWAYS, sometimes it does, sometimes it does not), especially when I switch to speakers and have higher volume (pre-amp mode), input is USB;
- After switching gain (L>H, H>L) and raising volume from zero, then on the first raise between 7-11 o'clock it makes crackling (like when you block radio antenna) noises in the headphones/speakers, lowering and raising again is ok and there is no more crackling, unless I switch gain and start raising from 0;
- Analog-ish (white/pink noise style) noise raising its intensity with the raising volume (noticeable especially after 1 o'clock);
- Transformer buzzing (the level you can hear when it is quieter around) which you can hear up to 70-80 cm (80cm =~ 2 feet 7½ inches) away from the front panel of the device (on a desk);
- Starting at ~2 o'clock to maximum volume if you feed any signal (so let's say you have a song with an extremely quiet passage or you just pause the song) you get a weird "sine-wave" sounding noise, here is the sample)

All these were tested (if possible) with no source, no output when testing symptoms on headphones; especially to mitigate any common-mode noises. Everything testing on multiple power sockets with no other devices plugged in and on one socket on a completely independent power circuit.

If you find a time to get through these, let me know, if you experience similar things or if there is anything which you don't experience.
Transformer buzzing can be caused by a noisy component on the electrical circuit (appliance, neon, halogen lamp) or somewhre in the house. It's not normal. It can cause all sorts of issues.

May 30, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #247 of 770
Do you have R2R11? If so, would you mind checking all the points?

Whitigir, thank you, but I need to verify it on R2R 11. I don't think the same transformers are used for both.
I have one at the office. The environment is too noisy for that kind of testing. While at home, I verified everthing was OK and did not notice anything wrong. Your power cable might be defective.

May 30, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #248 of 770
I see, I tried once more, now with everything (literally everything) off in a whole apartment (a good quality power circuit) and other power cable too, transformer still hums (one correction, I wrote buzz, but it is more of hum than buzz).

Can someone else veritfy the issues too?
Guys, would you mind verifying with me a couple of things about R2R and its (normal?) specs? Yes, I love the form factor, I/O, sound an powaaaa, but I need to verify a few observations I need to verify with you, guys.

My obsevations:
- Waking PC from sleep - sometimes the videos on YT will not load and sound will not work in general -- powering off and on is required;
- Good old popping when you turn on/off, switch media (BUT NOT ALWAYS, sometimes it does, sometimes it does not), especially when I switch to speakers and have higher volume (pre-amp mode), input is USB;
- After switching gain (L>H, H>L) and raising volume from zero, then on the first raise between 7-11 o'clock it makes crackling (like when you block radio antenna) noises in the headphones/speakers, lowering and raising again is ok and there is no more crackling, unless I switch gain and start raising from 0;
- Analog-ish (white/pink noise style) noise raising its intensity with the raising volume (noticeable especially after 1 o'clock);
- Transformer buzzing (the level you can hear when it is quieter around) which you can hear up to 70-80 cm (80cm =~ 2 feet 7½ inches) away from the front panel of the device (on a desk);
- Starting at ~2 o'clock to maximum volume if you feed any signal (so let's say you have a song with an extremely quiet passage or you just pause the song) you get a weird "sine-wave" sounding noise, here is the sample)

All these were tested (if possible) with no source, no output when testing symptoms on headphones; especially to mitigate any common-mode noises. Everything testing on multiple power sockets with no other devices plugged in and on one socket on a completely independent power circuit.

If you find a time to get through these, let me know, if you experience similar things or if there is anything which you don't experience.

Of course, thank you guys above very much for testing. :)

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #249 of 770
I see, I tried once more, now with everything (literally everything) off in a whole apartment (a good quality power circuit) and other power cable too, transformer still hums (one correction, I wrote buzz, but it is more of hum than buzz).

Can someone else veritfy the issues too?

Of course, thank you guys above very much for testing. :)

I have a PC connected to my DAC-19, it's not an R2R 11 but it has the same Amanero USB interface. And yes, upon waking my PC from sleep, sound sometimes does not work either. This may have something to do with the Amanero driver implementation and/or Windows Audio API. All you need to do is restart the Windows Audio service or reboot the PC. It's worth mentioning that I sometimes get the same issue with an HTPC running Windows and AV receiver - sound is processed by a graphics card and output via HDMI through to the AV receiver.

As for pre-amp mode - you do know the shut off and turn on order for stereo gear right? Turn on source first > then pre-amp > then amp. Turn off amp first > then pre-amp > then source.

The rest I leave for folks that actually have one but it does sound like there's something wrong with your unit.

Jun 12, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #250 of 770
Guys I am getting closer to deciding between the R2R11 and R2R15 but really hoping someone has heard both and can compare?

As the R2R15 is about $130 cheaper here in Australia vs the R2R11 which is significant price difference.

Also apparently R2R11 has 2 of the DA-8 and R2R 15 only has 1? What is that exactly and how would it improve the sound?

As far as I know there are minimum hardware difference between the two.

Jun 12, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #251 of 770
Guys I am getting closer to deciding between the R2R11 and R2R15 but really hoping someone has heard both and can compare?

As the R2R15 is about $130 cheaper here in Australia vs the R2R11 which is significant price difference.

Also apparently R2R11 has 2 of the DA-8 and R2R 15 only has 1? What is that exactly and how would it improve the sound?

The da-8 is a mono board as far as i know, you can't just have one. So it's not clear what the r2r 15 uses as da boards. They are hidden. The r2r 15 is all through-hole, thr r2r-11 use surface-mount components. There is a headfi thread for the r2r 15. Just google it.

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #252 of 770
The da-8 is a mono board as far as i know, you can't just have one. So it's not clear what the r2r 15 uses as da boards. They are hidden. The r2r 15 is all through-hole, thr r2r-11 use surface-mount components. There is a headfi thread for the r2r 15. Just google it.

Thanks I will try to find the thread.

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #253 of 770

According to Kingwa the R2R 15 is warmer in sound than the R2R 11 with even the “warm” jumper setting engaged. From experience with the R2R 11, the warm setting already noticeably rolls off the treble and boosts the bass, nothing crazy, but noticeable.

Jun 13, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #255 of 770
According to Kingwa the R2R 15 is warmer in sound than the R2R 11 with even the “warm” jumper setting engaged.

Wow that kinda scares me, I don't want a too warm sound as I hate boomy bass and still like my treble.

Might be safer to just pay the premium for the R2R11 then. Decisions decisions..

Else might even go the NFB 11.28.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back