Audio-gd R2R 11
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #196 of 776
It is less powerful but is a feeback design. So you could get better bass control. As for the rest of the spectrum, it seems it is not so refined according to someone answering a question on a match with Fostex on amazon.ca, in the Q&A section of the amp description.
Didn't quite understand your answer ... So, the amplifier in the R2R-11 is much better, than Smsl sApII Pro ?

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #199 of 776
Reading this, from this, I didn't quite understand answer to the question: will the amplifier in the R2R-11 is much better, than Smsl sApII Pro ?
Just my 2 cents, reading on the mentioned link, the smls does not look not very refined. But it has good driving power. So it seems it is inferior to the r2r 11's except maybe for bass response.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #200 of 776
Will you keep it on (for R2R dac) after the burn in period? Holo spring dac has standby mode that would help my electric bill but not sure how it works with R2R 11.

I have a question for the Audio GD fans, please. I ordered the R2R 11 from Mr. KingWa. The R2R 11 that I received has the facial of the NFB11.28. See picture below of my R2R 11.

N112801.jpg

To my understand, the R2R 11 facial should look like this one on Audio GD web site.

R2R111.jpg

I have several conversation with Mr. King Wa why my R2R 11 facial is identical with the NFB 11.28 but I cannot get a straight answer. Observe the difference of the three buttons on the R2R 11 and the NFB11.28. I just want to know why Audio GD swapped my R2R facial unit with the NFB 11-28 facial unit. Any one have the same experience. PLease let me know. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #201 of 776
I have a question for the Audio GD fans, please. I ordered the R2R 11 from Mr. KingWa. The R2R 11 that I received has the facial of the NFB11.28. See picture below of my R2R 11.

N112801.jpg

To my understand, the R2R 11 facial should look like this one on Audio GD web site.

R2R111.jpg

I have several conversation with Mr. King Wa why my R2R 11 facial is identical with the NFB 11.28 but I cannot get a straight answer. Observe the difference of the three buttons on the R2R 11 and the NFB11.28. I just want to know why Audio GD swapped my R2R facial unit with the NFB 11-28 facial unit. Any one have the same experience. PLease let me know. Thank you in advance.
They changed the buttons at some point. The faceplate itself is identical. My r2r 11 is like yours. I don't care, does not change a thing to me. Still sounds great.

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #202 of 776
They changed the buttons at some point. The faceplate itself is identical. My r2r 11 is like yours. I don't care, does not change a thing to me. Still sounds great.

Thank you. That's all I want to know. Damn good Headphone DAC/ Amp for the money. Cannot install the USB driver but it's not an issue since I use optical input and that is my intention when purchase the R2R 11.

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #203 of 776

Let's be real here - we Audio-gd fans aren't fans because of how the products look. It's because of how they sound. If it means sacrificing on the exterior so that we get to pay $350 instead of $500 - which would still be a great value for the R2R 11 - we don't mind in the slightest. Have a look through the product range and you will see that the aesthetic/look of the products is not a focus (it has never been for Audio-gd).

My Precision 1's anodized black exterior has turned to a shade of dark brown after 4 years but it still sounds as good as ever. To be fair, Audio-gd did change the quality of their chassis at least with my 2 year old DAC-19 which has maintained its black hue.

I would rather have an average looking chassis with as much as possible cost going into the electronics producing great SQ than have a beautiful product that neglects the electronic components and only producing average sound.

May 7, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #204 of 776
Greetings to all owners R2R-11 !
You know that yours R2R-11 has a significant drawback (defect) when playing DSD
records (files)?
The defect is not immediately subtle, but it is on real DSD records (files) and it is audible on such records when you listen to them.

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #205 of 776
Let the community find out:
https://www.head-fi.org/conversations/dsd-recordings-for-evaluation.2695106/
I worked for six months, refusing myself in many ways to save for this DAK. Thoroughly chose and chose it.
And I was sold an unfinished product with a defect! As however, and all of you ..., just a lot of you do not know about it and do not guess (since only listeners PCM records).

May 7, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #206 of 776
I worked for six months, refusing myself in many ways to save for this DAK. Thoroughly chose and chose it.
And I was sold an unfinished product with a defect! As however, and all of you ..., just a lot of you do not know about it and do not guess (since only listeners PCM records).

Sorry for you. Ask for a refund.

As for me, i could not care less about dsd. Life with my r2r 11 playing pcm is great as it is. And i feel i got much more than my money worth.

May 7, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #207 of 776
Thank you @Nickol. This is true. There have been ongoing discussions with Audio-GD and other members here about this critical flaw in the R2R-11’s DSD support, but as yet no solutions forthcoming.

FYI, the recent firmware update addresses the ‘popping’ sound the R2R-11 (and other Audio-GD R2R dacs) makes when switching between different sample rates, and between PCM and DSD. It does NOT fix the low level noise that affects many DSD files when played back on the R2R-11 (and reportedly even the higher end R2R dacs). A solution is most likely a hardware replacement of all or part of the Amanero USB interface, which is unlikely to happen.

If more and more users find the problem and report it back to Kingwa and Audio-GD resellers like Magna HiFi, maybe we can get something done about it.

May 7, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #208 of 776
Sorry for you. Ask for a refund.

As for me, i could not care less about dsd. Life with my r2r 11 playing pcm is great as it is. And i feel i got much more than my money worth.
Audio-GD have so far not acknowledged this fault, so will not offer refunds. Unless their customers start making a noise about it. I’m glad you’re enjoying your DSD-free listening; but it would be prudent to at least not dismiss this problem as irrelevant (even if it doesn’t affect you) because one day when you do buy a product with a flaw, you’d be grateful for the support of your community, especially when the vendor won’t acknowledge there is a problem.

May 7, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #209 of 776
Audio-GD have so far not acknowledged this fault, so will not offer refunds. Unless their customers start making a noise about it. I’m glad you’re enjoying your DSD-free listening; but it would be prudent to at least not dismiss this problem as irrelevant (even if it doesn’t affect you) because one day when you do buy a product with a flaw, you’d be grateful for the support of your community, especially when the vendor won’t acknowledge there is a problem.

Not sure you files will sound better played as dsd (as opposed the being played as pcm after conversion). It is not like this dac is marketed as giving awesome dsd quality, and it's not the safest bet for someone mainly listening to dsd, being a r2r design. But I can understand you frustration.

However, this combo has a 10 year warranty so you should send it in for a repair. If the problem can be reproduced, i am sure audio-gd will not let you down. They have better than average customer service, use it.

May 7, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #210 of 776
It is a question of judgment and depends on our different point of view:
I guess, most of us were upset if airbags wouldn't work in our car as officially stated in the manufacturer prospects even if we don't need them regularly and all the other features work flawlessly...

The problem can be reproduced by all the four of us who took the time and evaluated the sample files so it is a safe bet that many (if not any) of the R2R-11s are affected.
Unfortunately it's a complex scenario and not all DSD tracks can show the flaws.
- The affected tracks are mostly from silent, pianissimo, or piano parts of well recorded and mastered, High Dynamic Range DSD sources.
- Classical music, jazz, folk, country or other acoustic recordings are more plagued than rock, pop, or electronical genres.
We've checked different players like Foobar2000, Jriver, Audirvana (MacOs), Album Player and all of them show the problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back