Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jul 10, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #1,111 of 1,635
Also curious if Di-20 w R2r11 (reading much praises thru mod i2s hdmi) be equal to 2021 R28 direct USB from each unit's headphone jack?
Links? I am now busy modding Amanero on my R2R-11. I am afraid, it will never be able to compare with a real R28. I had first impression last night. It sounded great, but during peak hours (perhaps our power lines went very bad) I couldn't hear any difference between original an a modded clock. More about later.

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #1,113 of 1,635
Thank you Sajunky

Taking from AGD on new R28 : "close to the last generative R-28 combine with DI-20"
If 2021 R28 via usb a definate step up from a DI-20 with R11 via i2s, then I more or less narrowed my search.
A direct USB clock is a new feature of R-28 (2021), but I wouln't believe this statement, as 2021 version do not have a bidirectional USB isolator. I think it was copy-pasted from MK2 versions. These MK2 models have redesigned FPGA processing and a bidirectional USB isolator. Currently there are only R-1/R-28 2021 versions, you have to wait to the end of year for the MK2.

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,114 of 1,635
A direct USB clock is a new feature of R-28 (2021), but I wouln't believe this statement, as 2021 version do not have a bidirectional USB isolator. I think it was copy-pasted from MK2 versions. These MK2 models have redesigned FPGA processing and a bidirectional USB isolator. Currently there are only R-1/R-28 2021 versions, you have to wait to the end of year for the MK2.
Er, meaning the current 2021 R28 still need a i2s-htmi DDC like DI-20 to perform best?

& only R28 Mk2 at this year end will be "close to the last generative R-28 combine with DI-20"?

Sorry, not sure if I read you correctly

Btw, what's a bidirectional USB isolator you mentioned?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #1,115 of 1,635
Er, meaning the current 2021 R28 still need a i2s-htmi DDC like DI-20 to perform best?

& only R28 Mk2 at this year end will be "close to the last generative R-28 combine with DI-20"?

Sorry, not sure if I read you correctly

Btw, what's a bidirectional USB isolator you mentioned?
Mk2 versions are more close to support this claim. At the moment USB interface has no bidirectional galvanic isolation, but DI-20 has, so conclusion is - you still need DI-20.

About bidirectional isolator, lets try this way. Without the isolator USB asynchronous transfers can be fully utilised, meaning a high quality internal clock is driving a ladder directly, no reclocking is required. Before 2021, it was reclocking no matter it was needed or not. 2021 models do synchronise PC transfers, no reclocking is done. It is a big step forward, but it only works on a direct connection. Adding isolator on the USB interface breaks such ideal scenario. Bidirectional USB isolator allows to achieve the same optimum mode. Most of competitors use only unidirectional, feedback is broken on the isolator. Bidirectional isolator was introduced first time with DI-20, it made this device so successful. Now also implemented in all MK2 models.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #1,116 of 1,635
May not fully understand technically but thank you for your explanation. I do enjoy u16 via bnc spdif rather than direct usb to 11.38, and I'm looking into r2r without adding too many audio boxes

Btw, I didn't see any AGD "pre-sale teaser" of R28 Mk2 this year-end, could direct me ?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #1,117 of 1,635
Btw, I didn't see any AGD "pre-sale teaser" of R28 Mk2 this year-end, could direct me ?
It hasn't been communicated with us. We were told that there will be no more MK2's before end of the year. This is all we know. R-28 is very expensive to make. Some other models were dropped this year due to the high cost, like R2R-11 DAC/HPA combo and FNB-1AMP. The last one gives a warning, as in R-28 there is the same amp section. It means that a price for the MK2 model will increase or it will follow fate of FNB-1AMP.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,119 of 1,635
I have a query about the AGD R28.

I have need of a DAC + preamp with a HP amp thrown in. The preamp section would feed my active monitors, KRK Expose E8B.

I noticed a switch DAC/Pre. Does this mean I cannot use the R28 as a DAC and the preamp section together simultaneously?

Please let me know.

Also what is the difference between the R28 and the R27 (which is double the price), other than a beefier power section (I can see a third larger power unit).

Thanks in advance!

Jul 19, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,120 of 1,635
I noticed a switch DAC/Pre. Does this mean I cannot use the R28 as a DAC and the preamp section together simultaneously?
If I remember correctly, you can't. It is like in my R2R-11: if you switch to the headphone amp, it cuts line outputs and in reverse. It is very convenient on the desk, but if you want simultaneously there is a better option. If it is confirmed, better get R-1 plus NFB-1AMP. From the higher range replace R-27 with R-8MK2 plus one of Master series amp.

As for differences, R-28 DAC section is based on R-1. Comparing to the R-27 which is based on R-8, there are four DA-8 ladder modules instead of two DA-7, but it gives the same number of ladders and everything works in the same balanced configuration.

In the headphone amp section R-28 has an expensive to make relay based stepped attenuator and electronics is based on the well known NFB-1AMP. In R27 you can only find a pot, but the amp is based on the Master series (top range).

In my opinion R-28 is an exceptionally good value, R-27 not so. If you are targeting this level of performance get R-8 instead as it is available in MK2 version, R-27 is not.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #1,121 of 1,635
Don't know if i do understand that question in its own.

You want to listen to your speakers and hp simultaneously?

On my setup, i've active speakers connected to the R28 (Elac Air-X 407).

If i want to listen over hp i've to push the front button "Dac/Hp" once and the R28 will switch between HP or speaker.

Never touched the "pre"-button on the back, afaik.
Dip switch on the back of the speaker is set to "default" for a fixed initial volume level.
Volume control handled by the R-28.

If i was wrong, forget about. ^^

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #1,122 of 1,635
Never touched the "pre"-button on the back, afaik.
Ok, I was wrong. Pre-button on the back does a job as requested. It disable volume control on the line output and the output mode (headphone) switch no longer take an effect. See this post.

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #1,123 of 1,635
@Dailydrive sorry if Im late to the party.
I have an r28 upgraded with the 2021 inputs.
I can confirm you that it still needs a ddc to get the best out of it. But with the 2021 version, the difference between direct usb and hdmi coming from my gustard u16 is subtle (more subtle than with the 2020 version). The bass is definitely better from the gustard.
I cannot comment regarding using it with a di20 as I dont own one, but you can expect for sure a better low frequency rendering, and probably a better stereo image…

Jul 31, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #1,124 of 1,635
@Dailydrive sorry if Im late to the party.
I have an r28 upgraded with the 2021 inputs.
I can confirm you that it still needs a ddc to get the best out of it. But with the 2021 version, the difference between direct usb and hdmi coming from my gustard u16 is subtle (more subtle than with the 2020 version). The bass is definitely better from the gustard.
I cannot comment regarding using it with a di20 as I dont own one, but you can expect for sure a better low frequency rendering, and probably a better stereo image…
Thank you aumont00 for your feedback. I have u16 too and tbh, direct usb to my current 11.38, while not terrible, do not sound as good as feed from u16 bnc to spdif/coaxial of 11.38, so I understand where you coming from, with rounder and more enjoyable vocals & music in general. Still on the fense of exploring R2R option😁

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,125 of 1,635
Small Question for R28 owner...
My current Set-up is Topping DX7s + Utopia...I'm looking for something new..
I'm familiar with Delta Sigma sound, but never heard an R2R like the R28...
So What to expect with R28+ Focal Utopia feed by HQPlayer (DSD256 with polysinc Gauss XLA for example) Note that the R28 would be used only with Headphone.
Thanks again for your information Guys !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back