Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Apr 21, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #827 of 1,748
Reinstalled windows and driver, using USB, under playback devices I only see max 24bit and 196k available, is there something wrong?

May 7, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #829 of 1,748
If any R-28 owners plan to pass-through the front-left and front-right channels from a surround processor/preamp, here are the unity gain numbers I received from Aron at Audio-gd:

-In5 single-ended analog input - High gain 79, low gain 94
-In6 balanced analog input - High gain 70, low gain 85

May 8, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #830 of 1,748
So, after 200+ hours of burn in is sound still more detailed and airy. But now it is also smoother. I can say that the accusilicon clocks are great upgrade.
Hi,
You inspired me to do the XO exchange in my R28, aswell. It was the easyest XO-switch this far. Did it within 10 minutes. ..so now new XO's are cooking in my R2R-7, NFB-27.77 and now also in the R28. It was easy to do the work in the R28 because there are enough space around the XO's and most important..they were only soldered on the three pins with functions and they was soldered on stands.

/Jan

May 8, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #831 of 1,748
Hi,
You inspired me to do the XO exchange in my R28, aswell. It was the easyest XO-switch this far. Did it within 10 minutes. ..so now new XO's are cooking in my R2R-7, NFB-27.77 and now also in the R28. It was easy to do the work in the R28 because there are enough space around the XO's and most important..they were only soldered on the three pins with functions and they was soldered on stands.

/Jan

It is great. Let me know how you like it.

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #832 of 1,748
Hey guys, I pretty much disappeared after getting the R-28 and realizing that’s basically endgame for me. But of course having seen the R-27 announcement, wondering if anyone’s compared the two?

If it significantly improves on the R-28, where and how? I certainly don’t need any more power, the R-28 is already too much.

And I’m specifically talking about the R-27, not interested in separates.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #833 of 1,748
Hey chaps! I'm a little bit late to the party, but I have to ask. I was looking at upgrading some of my current setup which is a Musical Fidelity V-DAC plugged into a Lehmann Audio Black Linear Cube (I also own a Valhalla 2 but at the moment I am not using it). Thinking of using the Lehmann audio as a preamp eventually for a speakers setup, but that's a different story.

Anyway since the DAC is currently the weakest link on the setup and I never tried an R2R DAC, I had eyes on the R1, which is at the moment around 900EUR. But then the R-28 is "only" 300EUR more. I think the preamp section could eventually be a better candidate for driving a power amp and loudspeakers, and it also gives me more versatility of outputs (e.g. balanced ones which I don't need at the moment but why limit myself to upgradeability in the future). Not to mention if need be I can also put it in DAC mode only.

What are your thoughts? I think I may take the plunge and go for the combined version, seeing some of you here consider it end game material.

Sep 8, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #835 of 1,748
Hello
I currently own The Focal Clears, JH Laylas and soon to be ZMF Aeolus.
No I want to upgrade my DAC/AMP to either the
RME ADI-2 DAC
or
the Audio GD R-28.

Can someone compare the 2?
I know that they are very different, but I cant quite put my finger on where the differences lie and how big they are.

Sep 15, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #836 of 1,748
anyone having problem with their R28 yet?
i got one that left channel died. opened to examine and see what i found out. Anyone with good electronics design knowledge can tell me what can cause this? started with noise in left channel, then died. Capacitor 1 and 3 leaked first, then now 2 and 4 started bulging. no smoke or explosion of any sort.

Thank you!
R28.jpg

Sep 15, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #837 of 1,748
hey man

how come your capacitor is R118 and mine is RH46? can you check the capacitance value? mine is 3300uF 63v. see my post above. My R28 left side died and I found the components that's causing the problem. mine is 19 version i believe it's May 19 build. i got it 300 Canadian (230USD) bucks and i am going to try to fix it myself.

also i can't figure out how to use it as a dac. i used my audio GD ref 10.32 and it out put as dac to R28 no problem, of course one channel still dead. i was trying to test the Dac see if it works and worst case just use it as a dac. there are 3 jumpers on each side close to the output connector, all 3 have jumpers. i wonder that controls something. this is just a fun little project. i figured if i can't fix it someone else can and i won't lose money at this price.

Couple internal shots of the 2019 version, going to replace the top with a custom cut smoky acrylic.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #838 of 1,748
anyone having problem with their R28 yet?
i got one that left channel died. opened to examine and see what i found out. Anyone with good electronics design knowledge can tell me what can cause this? started with noise in left channel, then died. Capacitor 1 and 3 leaked first, then now 2 and 4 started bulging. no smoke or explosion of any sort.

Thank you!
Hi - do you switch off your R-28 when not in use? Also, when did you buy your R-28?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #839 of 1,748
Hi - do you switch off your R-28 when not in use? Also, when did you buy your R-28?

me personally only turn on dac/amps when i listen to things. then turn it off at night. previous owner i don't know but should be ok too. he said bought in May this year. when i start this it says AGD - 19 on the display.

because of the problem he got 100% refunded so i don't think there is warranty on this thing anymore. i'm ok just buying a few components and try fixing it first and if still have problem i'll probably get rid of it to get the money back which should be no problem. he used it single channel to split the signal out. so i guess at dac level one side is also not working. i wasn't able to get dac working at all. not sure if i am doing something wrong on the cable connections. i will wait until all the parts are here and i replaced the bad components and then report back.

it's a PITA getting the Nover capacitors. there are Nichicon gold ones available on ebay that's more readily available. do you think that makes a sound difference? i want get a hold of the Nover caps first.

AudioGD replied pretty fast asking me to measure a few SMD caps above it, didn't find anything wrong.

the right side sound pretty good. couldn't really compare with my ref 10.32 when only one ear working. lol, i guess that tells how important it is to have both ear working to enjoy audio.

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #840 of 1,748
I don't have equipment to measure the caps, but if you look closely there are 3 R118 and 1 R114 cap on the left side.
My unit is most likely the very first batch of the 2019 version, unit came in February.

As for the DAC/PRE function there's a RED button on the back of the unit, if you followed the instruction below and still not work then obvious there's something wrong with the component inside.

Pull out , XLR / RCA /ACSS output as decent DAC, in this mode, the display show "d" instead "P" and the volume number show "--" ,the volume can not adjust anymore (The headphone output mode has not effect).
Push into , XLR / RCA /ACSS output as preamp .
Headphone output mode has not any effect by this selector .

I don't leave my R-28 on 24/7, I only turn it on an hour before I listen and then off when I am done. Is plugged into a WAudio W-3900 power noise filter.

hey man

how come your capacitor is R118 and mine is RH46? can you check the capacitance value? mine is 3300uF 63v. see my post above. My R28 left side died and I found the components that's causing the problem. mine is 19 version i believe it's May 19 build. i got it 300 Canadian (230USD) bucks and i am going to try to fix it myself.

also i can't figure out how to use it as a dac. i used my audio GD ref 10.32 and it out put as dac to R28 no problem, of course one channel still dead. i was trying to test the Dac see if it works and worst case just use it as a dac. there are 3 jumpers on each side close to the output connector, all 3 have jumpers. i wonder that controls something. this is just a fun little project. i figured if i can't fix it someone else can and i won't lose money at this price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back