Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #856 of 1,593
Last saturday, i got a session with my buddy at his home.

Participants were the R28, Atoll HD100 and his home receiver Denon AVR-X7200.
Headphones in line were my Quad Era-1, Oppo PM-3, Beyerdynamic T1.2 and short time AT-Msr7b.
Loudspeakers were B&W 702 with the help of the Elac Sub 2070. :)

Notebook via USB to the R28 and TV via optical to R28 and HD100. Same Flac files from USB-stick on the Denon-->HD100.
Additional youtube streaming over optical connectionto both Hamps.

First thing to notice was the overall control of the R28.
In comparison to the HD100, the R-28 didn't reach the volume level of the Atoll, even with T1.
But there is so much more punch and control. Really impressive.

As a side note: the Era-1 has destroyed the T1 in every regard, even with balanced cable on the T1.
Such a joy to listen to them.

My buddy has driven the T1 on level 99 on the R28 for a short period without any aches.
That's a bit curios to me, couz the tiny Atoll goes way louder. With lesser quality, of course.

Did somebody mentioned something before?

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #857 of 1,593
Thank you @Turdski
I already bought my gears and I been using it for more than a week now.
I bought the new R28 with the A1. Im using it with my Focal Chorus 726.
This is an awesome combo, the best Ive heard so far on my speakers (I didnt tried a lot of gears).
Before that, I was using the schiit gungnir mb with a small class d amp (tripath).
My new setup is miles away better.
I will soon hook up the schiit gungnir to see how it competes against the R28.
Before buying the audio gd gears, I was afraid that maybe it wouldnt be hefty because of the neutrality of audio gd amps in general. My god this thing kicks you in the chest!! It has a lot of punch. Still burning in the combo, but I am very happy so far!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #859 of 1,593
Quick question to R28 owners. Has anyone perhaps compared USB input from a computer (e.g,, Mac Mini / Macbook) versus USB input from a DAP with USB digital out (i.e., via OTG cable into the R28)? If so, what were your findings?

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #861 of 1,593
Hi Joe,

got the 2018 version with upgraded front panel and clocks to Accusilicon AS318B Femto Clock (90M & 98M), bought from @vica1 .
The worst thing is i don't know the earlier releases, so i can't talk about the improvements. ^^

But what i know is, i'll never give it away anymore. :)
With balanced cables the R 28 is quite astonishing and the best way to drive headphones with.
It's a huge improvement over single ended cables on my Era-1.
I'm totally satisfied by now. :L3000:

20200107_191953.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #862 of 1,593
@JoeDoe I have bought few months ago the upgraded brand new r28 with dual transformers and fully upgraded clocks. It is really good, I cant compare to the old one since I never used it. Also I found out you really gain from using a ddc like for example a gustard u-16 or the audio-gd DI-20. Using the r28 directly connected usb from my macbook doesnt shine.
A friend let me try his gustard u-16 and I got a significant upgrade when I hook it up. I am running with the most recent firmware, parallel data processing.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #863 of 1,593
@JoeDoeAlso keep in mind that I found out you really gain from using a ddc like for example a gustard or the DI-20. Using the r28 directly connected usb from my macbook doesnt shine.
A friend let me try his gustard u-16 and I got a significant upgrade when I hook it up.

How do you have discovered this behavior?
Or is it related to the macbook?
Using the R28 right out of my Surface with usb it seems doing really well.

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #864 of 1,593
Yes it will do a descent job connected directly from the usb out of a computer, but the usb input of the r28 is not built to manage all that noise coming from the computer. The usb amanero input is ok but relatively basic.
The issue has nothing to do with the specific computer (mac or pc) bit rather with the usb nature to convey some noise from the computer to the dac.
Most of the audio-gd audiophiles that have the higher end devices are using a ddc to improve the sound and believe me it can make a significant difference, depending on your setup.
Taking the i2s output of the gustard u16 via hdmi cable gives me a cleaner sound, more detailed and controlled, less fuzzy.

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #865 of 1,593
I can confirm the R-28 greatly benefits from a DDC. I have the original version, not the new one, and using the Matrix X-Spdif 2 there's a marked difference in clarity, much lower noise floor, better separation, larger stage, more air. I've also tried the Ideon 3R Renaissance and ifi iPurifier 3 reclockers, and both improve the R-28's native USB input. That said a dedicated DDC like the Matrix going to IIS seems to be the best of them all.

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #866 of 1,593
Thank you @aumont00 and @gLer .

So for the first step i should be fine with the MS Surface Pro in terms of that silly noise you've mentioned.
I'll keep an eye on that in the future. :wink:

The R28 is connected to the MS Docking station, which connects over their proprietary digital port to the surface pro.
That sounds way better than the former used notebook to me. It's about the missing fan, i guess.

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #867 of 1,593
@JoeDoe I have bought few months ago the upgraded brand new r28 with dual transformers and fully upgraded clocks. It is really good, I cant compare to the old one since I never used it. Also I found out you really gain from using a ddc like for example a gustard u-16 or the audio-gd DI-20. Using the r28 directly connected usb from my macbook doesnt shine.
A friend let me try his gustard u-16 and I got a significant upgrade when I hook it up. I am running with the most recent firmware, parallel data processing.

Yes it will do a descent job connected directly from the usb out of a computer, but the usb input of the r28 is not built to manage all that noise coming from the computer. The usb amanero input is ok but relatively basic.
The issue has nothing to do with the specific computer (mac or pc) bit rather with the usb nature to convey some noise from the computer to the dac.
Most of the audio-gd audiophiles that have the higher end devices are using a ddc to improve the sound and believe me it can make a significant difference, depending on your setup.
Taking the i2s output of the gustard u16 via hdmi cable gives me a cleaner sound, more detailed and controlled, less fuzzy.

I can confirm the R-28 greatly benefits from a DDC. I have the original version, not the new one, and using the Matrix X-Spdif 2 there's a marked difference in clarity, much lower noise floor, better separation, larger stage, more air. I've also tried the Ideon 3R Renaissance and ifi iPurifier 3 reclockers, and both improve the R-28's native USB input. That said a dedicated DDC like the Matrix going to IIS seems to be the best of them all.

Good to know! Many thanks!

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #868 of 1,593
I have been using a PS Audio LANRover I picked up last year. They are no longer available. I bought mine here from a fellow head-fier. I cleans up the USB signal by converting it to ethernet and then back to USB. Its meant to be a way to have very long runs between the PC and the DAC with the side benefit of cleaning up the signal. Silicon strap to stack the two boxes to minimize footprint. :wink:

IMG_20200114_111129.jpg

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #870 of 1,593
Hi guys.
Yesterday was a great day for the R28, and me. :)))

Was heading to my preferred local Hi-Fi Dealer located near Munich to demo some active loudspeaker.
What should i say, i was blown away from the performance of this beast connected to Elac Air-X 407. :nerd:
Source was my Surface Pro via USB.

My dealer was curious about the R28 bc he was overwhelmed by its musicality.
The former connected Cocktail Audio X45 sounded like crap in comparison to the R28.

With the track Hi-Lo from Synthesis by Evanescence i've got tears in my eyes. It was such a great experience to me.
I can't explain how much of emotions running through my hole body. Outstanding.

The R28 with the Air-X 407 was a combo made from heaven.
So i decided to pull the trigger and bought this amazing pair of loudspeakers for a more than great price. :L3000:
I'm so happy about that.

My dealer is going to take a closer look at audio-gd and i think he'll buy an audio-gd device in the near future.
Hope to see an R28/ R27 in his rig asap, or a Master with an R2R dac.

Btw. every headphone i've tried sounds better with the R28, period.
Compared with Cocktail Audio X45, HA 500 and Atoll HD100.
The R28 has blown all away.

Be glad to have such a great sounding device.

Hope you're all doing well and have a great day. :musical_score:

Chris

Edit.
A little advice.
Never place a full aluminium bodied sound source ( Surface Pro ) on top of the R28 connected with usb. ^^
It'll hurt your ears, the loudspeakers and maybe the source device.
It's taken me 20 minutes to bring back the sound out of the surface.
Don't know what's happen at this moment. :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back