Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Aug 30, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,126 of 1,748
My current Set-up is Topping DX7s + Utopia...I'm looking for something new..
I'm familiar with Delta Sigma sound, but never heard an R2R like the R28...
So What to expect with R28+ Focal Utopia feed by HQPlayer (DSD256 with polysinc Gauss XLA for example) Note that the R28 would be used only with Headphone.
Shortly, timbre and texture, like in a live performance with use of acoustic instruments. R2R DAC reproduce it thruthfully. There is no digital glare, long term fatigue. You will listen to music longer. The amp in R28 is a pure Class A, no-feedback discrete design (no opamps), it will not simplify music.

Try in NOS mode, switching HQPlayer to bit-perfect mode. Upsampling and filtering improve sound of Topping, not neccesary R2R DAC. You can still hear improvements, it is a matter of personal preference, but it is not to the same degree as you hear now.

Negative. Expect initial burning R-28 ladder in two-three weeks. With ultra-low jitter clocks (as it is selling now) burning process takes even longer.

Aug 31, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #1,127 of 1,748
Small Question for R28 owner...
My current Set-up is Topping DX7s + Utopia...I'm looking for something new..
I'm familiar with Delta Sigma sound, but never heard an R2R like the R28...
So What to expect with R28+ Focal Utopia feed by HQPlayer (DSD256 with polysinc Gauss XLA for example) Note that the R28 would be used only with Headphone.
Thanks again for your information Guys !
The main difference for me between Delta Sigma and R2R is that:

DS - produce sounds with great precision
R2R - produce music, that sounds coherent and natural

In terms of resolutions and amount of details R28 is quite on par with DS DACs within the same price category.. R28 is not inferiors in terms of dynamics either.. There is a number of modes you can use in line with your music preferences: OS - more technical, neutral, NOS - more natural and warm.. So R28 is quite versatile and can satisfy users with different preferences within the same concept..

Many find it difficult to go back to DS after R2R, so care must be exercised ..)

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #1,128 of 1,748
OK done ! Just received yesterday my R-28 2021 Edition...
Too early to make my opinion about this combo, but after one day, i can say that comments from AudioAlex & sajunky are 100% right...

I did not change my HQPlayer Settings, set the DAC to Nos Mode, plug the Utopia with XLR Cable and Press play...More Musical, effortless...This R2R Produces music, with great precisionbut keep it very Natural...
AudioAlex & sajunky thanks for your comment, it's exactly what i feel when i'm listening to the R-28...I'm happy :)

Now, it's time for burnin' and play with Oversampling (which btw change the behavior of the system pretty nicely)

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #1,129 of 1,748
OK done ! Just received yesterday my R-28 2021 Edition...
Too early to make my opinion about this combo, but after one day, i can say that comments from AudioAlex & sajunky are 100% right...

I did not change my HQPlayer Settings, set the DAC to Nos Mode, plug the Utopia with XLR Cable and Press play...More Musical, effortless...This R2R Produces music, with great precisionbut keep it very Natural...
AudioAlex & sajunky thanks for your comment, it's exactly what i feel when i'm listening to the R-28...I'm happy :)

Now, it's time for burnin' and play with Oversampling (which btw change the behavior of the system pretty nicely)
Congratulations. I went with a R28 a few months ago and IMO the sound does change over weeks. Excellent synergy with my Mezes.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #1,130 of 1,748
Congratulations. I went with a R28 a few months ago and IMO the sound does change over weeks. Excellent Synergy with my Mezes.
Glad to hear that.
Eyeing the Empy for over a year now and was in doubt of the synergy with my R28.

Thanks for your comment. :)

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #1,131 of 1,748
what are the sound differences between this one and a denafrips ares 2? thanks!!

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,132 of 1,748
what are the sound differences between this one and a denafrips ares 2? thanks!!
Oh no, Denafrips is not NOS!

A sound comparison on the higher level with Denafrips.
Subjectively speaking, R7 can be fast and slow, Venus can’t be as fast, R7 can be bold, punchy, a bass canon if you want, or a gentle giant depending on the settings, Venus can’t be that raw and naughty

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #1,133 of 1,748
Don't know if i do understand that question in its own.

You want to listen to your speakers and hp simultaneously?

On my setup, i've active speakers connected to the R28 (Elac Air-X 407).

If i want to listen over hp i've to push the front button "Dac/Hp" once and the R28 will switch between HP or speaker.

Never touched the "pre"-button on the back, afaik.
Dip switch on the back of the speaker is set to "default" for a fixed initial volume level.
Volume control handled by the R-28.

If i was wrong, forget about. ^^
Hi Sorry, I was away a bit. I want to use the DAC along with either my active monitors, or my headphones, not simultaneously. But the DAC + Pre will be used simultaneously.

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #1,134 of 1,748
If I remember correctly, you can't. It is like in my R2R-11: if you switch to the headphone amp, it cuts line outputs and in reverse. It is very convenient on the desk, but if you want simultaneously there is a better option. If it is confirmed, better get R-1 plus NFB-1AMP. From the higher range replace R-27 with R-8MK2 plus one of Master series amp.

As for differences, R-28 DAC section is based on R-1. Comparing to the R-27 which is based on R-8, there are four DA-8 ladder modules instead of two DA-7, but it gives the same number of ladders and everything works in the same balanced configuration.

In the headphone amp section R-28 has an expensive to make relay based stepped attenuator and electronics is based on the well known NFB-1AMP. In R27 you can only find a pot, but the amp is based on the Master series (top range).

In my opinion R-28 is an exceptionally good value, R-27 not so. If you are targeting this level of performance get R-8 instead as it is available in MK2 version, R-27 is not.
Oh, so I cannot use DAC + Pre together. But why not? It is not like they're competing for like I understand the HP and Pre are so I need to switch/toggle between those two.

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #1,135 of 1,748
Oh, so I cannot use DAC + Pre together. But why not? It is not like they're competing for like I understand the HP and Pre are so I need to switch/toggle between those two.
Actually it is different in R28. There is 'Pre' switch on the back, it changes everything. See this post, a post later you are quoting. :)

Sep 17, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #1,136 of 1,748
REALLY REALLY need an answer to this as my dealer has a returned unit BNIB at a nice discount..
Do I understand you must push the "Pre"button on back of unit EVERY time you switch between preamp & headphone use?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,137 of 1,748
Quick question,could use answer ASAP..
Do I understand you must push the "Pre"button on back of unit EVERY time you switch between preamp & headphone use?
Not. 'Pre' button changes functionality, set it once, depends on your setup. One position is for those who want line outputs to work in a fixed mode (bypassing pre-amp), it makes line outputs independent from a headphone amp and a volume control. In the other position line outputs are controlled by the volume control (full pre-amp functionality) and a front DAC/HP (output selection) switch.

Sep 17, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,138 of 1,748
hahahaha,just found the manual online but thanks for the reply..For future reference this is the description:
"The DAC/PREAMP output mode selector :
Pull out , XLR / RCA /ACSS output as decent DAC. Push into , XLR / RCA /ACSS output as preamp .
Headphone output modes have not any effect by this selector ."..
So to summarize:"Pre"button on back sets output to EITHER DAC only OR full PreAmp..Has NO affect on front DAC/HP button which toggles between HP use & P/A-DAC....
TRIGGER PULLED on BNIB 2021 version with the upgraded remote & I SAVED a minimum of $700.00 over BursonC3R & $1200.00 on the Violectric!
DOING A HAPPY DANCE!!!
"The R28 is a fully Fully Balanced solid state preamp with 9.5 watts per channel headphone amp"

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #1,139 of 1,748
Thanks. :)

So for use with active monitors and/or additional amp/ tube amp, you've to release the button, ideally.
For an "endpoint" with fixed volume, the button has to be pushed in to set the volume via R-28.

It's all clear now. :)

Sep 18, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #1,140 of 1,748
76 pages,read every reply.Started freaking a bit when I was reading about going inside to change jumpers around,SOOO glad to read the latest has front switch control for the various filters..
Which brings me to my questions..Headphones are HFM HE6SEv2Adorama,which,based on my ownership of HE400i & Sundara I imagine will be like a beautiful crystal clear day looking out over a snow covered field,along with iBasso SR-1,which have a more noticeable organic warmth that imo need a source signal like a good Sabre DAC with no additional warmth added..So looking for 2 different flavors from the R28 which filters do you recommend trying to get:
a warmish,detailed but smooth presentation for the HE6 &
a cleaner,more neutral presentation for the iBasso's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back