Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Aug 20, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #511 of 1,787
Subscribed.

Replacing my R2R-11 for these AIO... balanced out is perfect for my upcoming dynaudio lyd 7 monitors.

Nice! I would love to hear well the R-28 sounds with those Dynaudios.

Can anyone comment on how well the R-28 functions as a preamp compared to the Master 9? Also, apart from having less power, how close in sound quality is the single ended out compared to the balanced out (for headphones)?

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #512 of 1,787
Nice! I would love to hear well the R-28 sounds with those Dynaudios.

Can anyone comment on how well the R-28 functions as a preamp compared to the Master 9? Also, apart from having less power, how close in sound quality is the single ended out compared to the balanced out (for headphones)?
I have both a 2014 master-1 and a 2016 nfb-1amp. As pre, the master-1 images a little better.

The difference driving headphones would be greater i assume, but as pre, the master-9 and nfb-1amp should be very close.

I tried my headphones both balanced and single-ended through the nfb-1amp. Very subtle difference again. The quality of cable you use has more importance imo.

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #513 of 1,787
Also, apart from having less power, how close in sound quality is the single ended out compared to the balanced out (for headphones)?
I find the AGD balanced amps (R-28, NFB-1) to be designed for balanced, so the quality and power for headphones are better when balanced. Kingwa said as much when asked that very question. Nothing wrong with the SE quality, but for example I found the SE output of the R2R-11 to be similar if not slightly more punchy than the SE output of the R-28, whereas with balanced it’s no contest in favour of the R-28.

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #514 of 1,787
I find the AGD balanced amps (R-28, NFB-1) to be designed for balanced, so the quality and power for headphones are better when balanced. Kingwa said as much when asked that very question. Nothing wrong with the SE quality, but for example I found the SE output of the R2R-11 to be similar if not slightly more punchy than the SE output of the R-28, whereas with balanced it’s no contest in favour of the R-28.

+1. NFB1 user, same experience.

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #515 of 1,787
+1. NFB1 user, same experience.

But isn't the SE output of the R28 equivalent to xlr? Would they actually be hard wired?

I'm hoping to not change headphone cables once my unit arrives.

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #516 of 1,787
But isn't the SE output of the R28 equivalent to xlr? Would they actually be hard wired?

I'm hoping to not change headphone cables once my unit arrives.
No it's not. It was going to be, but that changed just before shipping as the quality of the XLR-equivalent SE output was apparently poor. If you're getting the R-28, my suggestion is to make sure all your cans are balanced, although the SE quality is still excellent compared to entry-level amps.

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #517 of 1,787
No it's not. It was going to be, but that changed just before shipping as the quality of the XLR-equivalent SE output was apparently poor. If you're getting the R-28, my suggestion is to make sure all your cans are balanced, although the SE quality is still excellent compared to entry-level amps.

Darn it, more money again...

I'm upgrading from an R2R-11, and I'm keeping my lil dot mkii for tubey days (6xx). Oh well, hello balanced lcd2's

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #519 of 1,787
After receiving and burning in my R28 for a month, I just recognized some glitch sound like when you listen to a vinyl record. Is that normal?

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #520 of 1,787
After receiving and burning in my R28 for a month, I just recognized some glitch sound like when you listen to a vinyl record. Is that normal?
With some old records, yes. Use records you know well to test, Avoid highly compressed mp3 files. Have you installed the amanero driver (assuming you are on pc)?

One other point is wripping a cd is not error free unless you use a properly configured sw. I have some file i know have wripipimg erros on them. Worst, wripping a cd that is a copy of a copy usually leads to desastrous results. Quality files are mandatory with a quality dac because it will reveals every defect.

Be sure to max the player application's volume, otherwise you degrade the signal.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #522 of 1,787
FredA / jerick70,

Thank you for your suggestions. I just tried again. The problem seems to be disappeared. I suspect that it might be related to my PC ( Windows 10 ) . Normally, I turn on R28 prior to my PC, but last night I did the opposite way. I will continue test and let you know if it happens again.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #523 of 1,787
I have the Hugo 2 here, which the Qutest is essentially the same as (apart from the USB input and headphone output). If you're thinking "Should I get a Qutest and NFB-1AMP?" then my answer is: Buy a Hugo 2 and a Schiit Wyrd.
But Hugo 2 doesn't have much power to drive high-impedance headphones, right? I'm planning to use with planer magnetic headphones like audeze. That's why I thought to buy a good dac and powerful amp as separate units. Have heard Chord's dacs are excellent and nfb-1 has plenty of power. that's why i thought Qutest+nfb1 is good combo. is there any other good amp with enough power (more than hugo2's builtin amp) to pair with Qutest withouth missing details under $800, $900?

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #524 of 1,787
But Hugo 2 doesn't have much power to drive high-impedance headphones, right? I'm planning to use with planer magnetic headphones like audeze. That's why I thought to buy a good dac and powerful amp as separate units. Have heard Chord's dacs are excellent and nfb-1 has plenty of power. that's why i thought Qutest+nfb1 is good combo. is there any other good amp with enough power (more than hugo2's builtin amp) to pair with Qutest withouth missing details under $800, $900?

The nfb-1amp does great with my he-560. If you can find a used master-9, it should be even better. The nfb-1amp has a very smooth treble

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #525 of 1,787

High-impedance headphones are easier to drive. They require far less current. Due to battery improvements, something like a Hugo 2 can provide plenty of current for planars too. The Audio-gd equivalent would be an R2R 7 and Master 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back