Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Nov 22, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #1,202 of 1,678
For the owners or those who really can help me with the question/answer.
R28 2022 vs Burson Conductor...

Thinking about going the next step from my Burson Playmate ... and I ended up on this short list :)
Hey there, sorry for taking so long to reply but I was under the weather yesterday. That's a real toughie to answer. I have the Conductor 3XR and R28 2022 and they both have their strengths. It's really going to come down to what sound you are looking for and how comfortable you are with difficult interfaces. Seeing as you already have a Playmate, the Conductor's controls will be familiar. The 3XR has 4-Pin balanced out (so does the R28), the 3R is single-ended only but is a little cheaper (the R28 has balanced and single-ended output). The Conductor has roll-able OpAmps. Finally, Burson has a Black Friday sale on their audio gear right now. The Conductor is going to sound like the Playmate 2, but better...:wink:

The R28 is all about nuance, layering, and subtle detail. It's also about very long recommended burn-in times to get there (to the point where some folks don't even sense a difference in the sound...for the record, I do). Most frustratingly, the interface requires trying to interpret three web pages on the R28 from three different years (non of which are fully updated), and the helpful advice of the members of this forum. Audio-gd is one of those older Chinese companies that put out some amazing audio products that perform way above expectations...once you have figured out how to make it perform as intended. While an amplifier may not be so difficult to work out, a R2R DAC that has oversampling/non-oversampling and separate DSD processing modes is a bit difficult to navigate. With some digging around and the help on the forum, you can get things going...I'm listening to my R28 right now and it sounds fantastic! But you need to do the research into how much effort you want to spend on getting good sound.

Honestly, either choice you make...you'll come up Aces!

Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #1,204 of 1,678
Hello. Please tell me which DAC setting you prefer? I prefer the NOS setting in my Singxer SDA-2. My R-28 2022 hasn't arrived yet.
I prefer NOS. Occasionally I like to play around with oversampling but end upgoing back to NOS for regular listening.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #1,206 of 1,678
I finally tried different filters on my R1 the other night. I think I like 2x over sampling the best.

To my ears, 8x gives the best definition but NOS gives the best sense of space and sounds the most effortless. 8x can sound a little strained by comparison.

I would like NOS the best, but it gives up too much on complex passages. I listen to a lot of rock and metal. A couple electric guitars can quickly turn into a wall of noise, especially on a compressed recording.

For me, 2x gives 90+% the best of both!

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,208 of 1,678
OK done ! Just received yesterday my R-28 2021 Edition...
Too early to make my opinion about this combo, but after one day, i can say that comments from AudioAlex & sajunky are 100% right...

I did not change my HQPlayer Settings, set the DAC to Nos Mode, plug the Utopia with XLR Cable and Press play...More Musical, effortless...This R2R Produces music, with great precisionbut keep it very Natural...
AudioAlex & sajunky thanks for your comment, it's exactly what i feel when i'm listening to the R-28...I'm happy :)

Now, it's time for burnin' and play with Oversampling (which btw change the behavior of the system pretty nicely)
I have the 2021 version, and have some issues connecting a smart TV and Audiolab CDT6000. On the optical input #3, I attach a Roku Television and when I have #3and#4 inputs running, input #1 has a loud digital noise. When the CDT goes into sleep mode, it will generate a digital signal in error, and I will find my system with a loud digital noise.
Would it be possible for r28 owners to try to replicate my problem scenerio in DAC mode?

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #1,209 of 1,678
Hey guys, long time no see. In short, I want to know how the R-28's DAC compares to the R7, to Denafrips products and to other Audio-gd D/S Dacs? (I've been reading this thread, but there's a lot.)

In less short, here is my whole rant. I started on Head-fi back in high school, around 2001. Made my way as far as a set of HE-5LE and an Audio-gd NFB-10SE. I bought both used from other Head-fi'ers. Wound up losing touch. I was so happy with my gear, I didn't want to know about anything else. There was an account wipe at some point, after I trailed off, here.

How I went down the rabbit hole: My HE-5LE kept dying. I finally gave up and got HE-560, but didn't really like them. At Canjam 2018, I heard LCD-4 on a Violectric stack. I was blown away. Didn't have $8k though, so I bought LCD-2c. Later, I did find the Violectric stack (V281 and V850) used and thought it was a step up. More resolution and more refined than the NFB-10SE. Then I got a THX-789 to see what the fuss was about and it showed me that I was still missing some resolution and low bass, even though I liked the Violectric class A signature better. Canjam 2020, I stumbled into a floor model Audiovalve Solaris. Tried to flip it, failed, fell in love. Something had to go. So I sold the Violectric gear, refinanced my house and bought a Denafrips Venus and LCD-4. Next I bought a Topping A90 and gave the 789 and LCD-2c to my little brother. The last thing I bought was a Furman power conditioner and then some Amazon garden hose "audiophile" power cables DMS recommended. The cables actually helped the A90 a little bit.

Now we're caught up, here's my problem. I love my system, but I keep longing for slightly more resolution, slightly more forward vocals and better, stronger deep bass. I think I was missing the original signature of the NFB-10SE. So what did I do? I done screwed up. I pulled it off the shelf and gave a listen. I think it must really like the power conditioner.. Resolution no longer seems to be lacking and it really kicks up the dynamics over the Venus. Vocals are back in front and have that natural tone I missed. Low bass is more satisfying. The Venus still takes the cake in sound stage and refinement, but it's just too relaxed for me, I think. The Venus picks up spacial ques better though and the Solaris really runs with them. Perhaps it is a difference in decay? So, I'm kind of split down the middle. I would say the NFB-10 DAC has more resolution in the truest sense, but they pick up different things differently. The Venus is maybe more composed in complex passages, but it's close.

I went back and just read Sound News' review of the R7 and he holds it up over the Venus in all the ways that matter most to me. I think Sandu has the exact same taste that I do. I bought the Venus on his recommendation, but before that R7 review had been out. That and I heard my friend's Ares and liked it better than my other DACs at the time. It occurs to me, that the Violectric stack never lived up to the impression that it made on me at Canjam and I wonder if the power condition would have helped? Meh.

ANYWAY. The R7 freakin' is huge... And if the 10ish year old NFB-10SE is this good, I bet Audio-gd's bigger products are over kill. So, my real question is: How good/similar is the R-28's DAC compared to the R7? Will it have a similar signature and tonality to my old NFB-10? Can it really nail the low bass and dynamics like a modern D/S? If in real life, R-28 vs R7 is splitting hairs and Sandu isn't full of crap, then I could easily see the R-28 displacing the Venus and A90 for me. The Solaris would be tougher, but I'm open to it. I would so like to simplify my stack, especially if I had money left over, after selling some of my current gear.

I wondered if perhaps a Master 19 plugged into the Venus would inject some of that Audio-gd house sound? After spending more time comparing the DACs , I don't think that's a safe assumption. The NFB-10 has no analog inputs, but the NFB-10 driving the A90 is very close to the NFB-10 by itself.. Beside, I don't want to buy another straight solid state amp unless it can oust the Solaris and I don't know if that's going to be a thing. The NFB-10 into the Solaris is more punchy and vocal forward with a smoother, deeper sound stage and more clarity to certain things. The Venus like I said, picks up more spacial ques that the tubes really feed off of to make a wonderful, 3D stage. But laid back a bit, vocals often still recessed and lacks very deep bass. Also, while rare, certain mid to high pitch reverberations or vocal highs can be too much on this combo. My current system kicks ass with most acoustic stuff, but I listen to a lot of metal and electronic. Very well suited to this as well, but still looking for just the slight extra resolution, vocal forwardness and detail retrieval.

Anyone near Mass with modern Audio-gd products wants to have a mini-meet?
I replaced the preamp part of the r28 with the Hades from denafrips and the sound was much improved. In my opinion, the preamp section is the weakest part. I think the preamp makes some 80s CDs sound strange. The Dac section sounds great.

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #1,210 of 1,678
Thanks Chris!

The only thing I can say wrong about this gear's looks is the blue LCD displays. They are so bright! They would only make sense if you planned to use a generator and closed phones and listen on the beach in broad daylight.

I think it was only Tuesday when I cut the seals and opened the lids. I inserted some dark photo gel sheets between the displays and the glass. Now they are about perfect.
The first thing you should do is switch the display into single dot mode.

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,211 of 1,678
Good evening. I also received my R-28 2022. The device plays its money back 100%. Warmed for 400 hours, Kingwa says 100 hours warmed at the factory. I will have 500 hours of warming on 31.12.2021 just in time for New Year's Eve. Here are my first impressions:
https://www.dastereo.ru/t/czapy-i-k...-strannye-zaklinaniya/31586/1155?u=igor375375
I'll write more after the warm-up. But I'm already very happy with the sound. This is my first device with R2R technology, now I understand why it has such respect in audiophile circles.

Jan 7, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #1,214 of 1,678

Users who are viewing this thread

Back