Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Apr 29, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #1,218 of 1,593
Hi guys,

I have the R28 on order will arrive soon can't wait. I'm currently using the NFB-10WM and Kingwa said R28 with have more details/resolution as well with bigger soundstage with tighter control especially in the sub-bass. Headphones are mainly Denon D7000 and Fostex 900/909.

I will use R28 to feed both Woo Audio WA22 with balanced XLR
and Woo Audio WA6-SE with unbalanced RCA.

Will R28 automatically detect which amp to feed the signal when I turn the amp on?
Also will R28 simultaneously feed both amps signal thru XLR and RCA at the same time?

The default setting with R28 is OS8X correct?

Thanks

Apr 29, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #1,219 of 1,593
Hi guys,

I have the R28 on order will arrive soon can't wait. I'm currently using the NFB-10WM and Kingwa said R28 with have more details/resolution as well with bigger soundstage with tighter control especially in the sub-bass. Headphones are mainly Denon D7000 and Fostex 900/909.

I will use R28 to feed both Woo Audio WA22 with balanced XLR
and Woo Audio WA6-SE with unbalanced RCA.

Will R28 automatically detect which amp to feed the signal when I turn the amp on?
Also will R28 simultaneously feed both amps signal thru XLR and RCA at the same time?

The default setting with R28 is OS8X correct?

Thanks
It will feed both at all time, unless it is physically disconnected. If your system is sensitive enough, you may be able to hear a minute difference if you physically disconnect it. My system can't tell.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #1,220 of 1,593
It will feed both at all time, unless it is physically disconnected. If your system is sensitive enough, you may be able to hear a minute difference if you physically disconnect it. My system can't tell.
Just got a reply from Kingwa confirming that both XLR/RCA outputs are active simultaneously. He didn't mention if it will degrade the signal or not. Thanks!

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,222 of 1,593
Just got a reply from Kingwa confirming that both XLR/RCA outputs are active simultaneously. He didn't mention if it will degrade the signal or not. Thanks!
Thanks.

Let the amp pairings begin. :o2smile:

May 2, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,224 of 1,593
Thanks! Received it last Friday and it's been on the whole time. The next two weeks is gonna be torture lol.
Initial impressions compared to my old NFB-10WM is lots more detail (I'm using default OS8X). Instruments separation is much better with pitch black background.
Female vocal seems to be more present and upfront. Haven't test out bass heavy tracks yet will report back after break-in period.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #1,229 of 1,593
Любая причина, почему GAIA?. Мне очень нравится мой Di20HE.
GAIA: Industry-leading USB audio interface solution based on the STM32F466 Advanced AMR MCU. The Di20HE has exactly the same USB module as my R-28 2022 - Amanero, a good module but quite ancient. GAIA is more advanced technology in everything except power supply, Di20HE has it recuperative, I don't know how important it is.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #1,230 of 1,593
GAIA: ведущее в отрасли решение USB-аудиоинтерфейса на базе MCU STM32F466 Advanced AMR. The Di20HE has exactly the same USB module as my R-28 2022 - Amanero, a good module but quite ancient. GAIA is more advanced technology in everything except power supply, Di20HE has it recuperative, I don't know how important it is.
Please share any news why Gaia has better USB implementation than Amanero. In my books Amanero is a solution (as a ready module or a licensed chipset) used in number high-end implementations. It is a two-chips design. A microprocessor with a sufficient speed for handling USB protocol and an advanced CPLD decoder chip for low jitter decoding logic. STM microprocessor, even the fastest one cannot handle jitter-free decoding, IHMO.

R-28 will benefit from DI-20 (not to mention HE version), as it doesn't have isolation on the USB port. Galvanic USB isolation is only offered in top-end R-8/R-7 MK2 models. These are identical in design with DI-20, but still benefit from DI-20, it is other issue.

A word about USB galvanic isolation in DI-20. It is a bidirectional isolator to assure asynchronous clock delivery from USB host to the output. Others, depend on internal reclocking. Gaia probably too, as Denafrips reclock everything. Audio GD approach is unique, as internal ultra-low jitter oscilators are used directly, avoiding losses on reclocking when data can be delivered asynchronously.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back