Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Nov 2, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #1,186 of 1,678
I set my DAC to auto dark and leave it on. My other R2R DACs seem to like being left on. Any thoughts on the R1?

I do prefer to leave the amp display on though. So, the dark film to dim the lights was absolutely worthwhile.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #1,187 of 1,678
Hi guys,
on my R28-2021v2 I encountered the following issues:
1) The display auto-dark does not work;
2) The settings (NOS / oversampling modes and OUT) are not saved after switching off/on;
3) Apparently the sound does not change in the various NOS/oversampling settings;
4) the rotator switch isn't working for increase the volume.

For these issues, with the support of MagnaHifi, I will replace the MCU (behind the display) and hope to solve ...

Question: what is the function/use of the jumpers included in the R28-2021v2 package? The product page, on the Audio-gd website, is continuously updated and the specs/use manual of my R28-2021v2 can no longer be found..

Thanks in advance

Salvatore
Here's the 2020 version, I think the fonctions are the same.
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R282020/R282020EN_Use.htm

Edit: I found the 2021 version
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2821/R2821EN_Use.htm

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #1,188 of 1,678
192 hours of continuous play/burn-in/what-bloody-ever... Okay, new horizons have not opened before me, I have not seen other dimensions or levels of Heaven or hell...
However, This is a combination that has tamed the Empyrean headphone's bass and brought the level of mid detail and even a touch of treble out into the open. The Empy's are never going to be mistaken for neutral or analytical, but the R28 has tightened the bass and helped them to sound more musical and enjoyable. I have listened at different oversampling rates as well as NOS and haven't developed a preference yet (depends on my mood I guess, and what's playing).
Am I going to keep it running the whole 400 (recommended) hours? If my blasted LCD-5 ever shows up, then probably yes. Even now, anytime I get the itch (which is often) I can just sit down and listen to music already playing for a couple minutes...that somehow stretches into an hour or so.

That's really the best compliment I could give the R28.
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Yes...I am listening to "Electric Light Orchestra" on the Empy's plugged into the R28 as I write this...

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #1,190 of 1,678
Ecco la versione 2020, penso che le funzioni siano le stesse.
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R282020/R282020EN_Use.htm

Edit: ho trovato la versione 2021
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2821/R2821EN_Use.htm
Thanks.
However on my R28-2021v2 I cannot find this setting:

Warmer sound setting :
The unit had built in a lot setting in the FPGA for users select the best suite sound flavors but they only effect the digital inputs.
Push into 4 pcs jumper for got the warmer sound flavor. It is effect for all inputs.
R28warmsound.jpg

So the question remains: what is the function/use of the jumpers included in the R28-2021v2 package?

Thanks

Salvatore

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #1,191 of 1,678
Thanks.
However on my R28-2021v2 I cannot find this setting:

Warmer sound setting :
The unit had built in a lot setting in the FPGA for users select the best suite sound flavors but they only effect the digital inputs.
Push into 4 pcs jumper for got the warmer sound flavor. It is effect for all inputs.
R28warmsound.jpg
So the question remains: what is the function/use of the jumpers included in the R28-2021v2 package?

Thanks

Salvatore
I don't know my R28 2022 did not come with any jumpers

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,193 of 1,678
has anybody compared r-28 with r-27?
There appear to be very few impressions out there by folks who have heard both.

The R-27 was exactly what I wish had been available at the time that I purchased my R-28. On the other hand, perhaps the R-28 is ultimately the better value. Going for separates might be optimal if one is chasing the best.

I am tempted to get an R-27 though, to use in the living room setup initially, and then long-term in my bedroom/office setup. Even then, it would difficult to part with my R-28.

It should be pointed out that, according to my correspondence with Kingwa, the R-27 contains the equivalent of the Master 19, and not the Master 9 (how could it).

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,194 of 1,678
There appear to be very few impressions out there by folks who have heard both.

The R-27 was exactly what I wish had been available at the time that I purchased my R-28. On the other hand, perhaps the R-28 is ultimately the better value. Going for separates might be optimal if one is chasing the best.

I am tempted to get an R-27 though, to use in the living room setup initially, and then long-term in my bedroom/office setup. Even then, it would difficult to part with my R-28.

It should be pointed out that, according to my correspondence with Kingwa, the R-27 contains the equivalent of the Master 19, and not the Master 9 (how could it).
Ty for sharing! I guess R-28 is good enough, and better value as you say

Nov 13, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #1,195 of 1,678
If anyone near MA has an R28, we can try it out against my R1 / Master 19 stack. Is that basically what the R27 is?

Nov 14, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,198 of 1,678
Well folks,
After 400 additional recommended hours of burn-in with multiple multi-hour, I-can't-pull-myself-away sampling sessions, I am very impressed with the R28 (2022). Unfortunately, my LCD-5s still haven't arrived so all the playback was on my Meze Empyrean. I admit I was a little snarky with my previous post about new worlds and horizons not opening up for me with the R28 but there was a grain of truth to the post as I will try to explain here.

My only DAC experiences have been the common Delta Sigma and Schiit's version of Multibit. In the case of the Delta Sigma (being a believer in circuit/brain/line/system/metaphysical/unicorn/whathaveyou burn-in), I could hear changes in sound quality over time. Some could be minor like smoothing of treble or tightening of bass. Sometimes the changes were almost drastic like the soundstage opening out and gaining air and detail. I understand the DAC is only one component in the system but can contribute significantly to the changes...IMHO/YMMV.

To me, the thing about the R28 is it started out by sounding fantastic with a mature sound that Delta Sigma (and Multibit) evolve into over time. So why bother with a recommended 400 hour burn-in? Nuance. Subtlety. Feeling like you are a part of the music. Being able to pick out whatever part of the music you want and just track on that for the whole song...or...listen to the music as a whole and feel like you haven't missed a thing. It's powerful and the amp just gets out of the way. When I started using it I was concerned it was too powerful for the Meze Empyreans which are very easy to drive and on low gain the highest volume I could listen to for my comfort was around 25-30. The Empy's could take more but I couldn't. I didn't dare try high gain for fear of setting off the smoke alarm.

I haven't written a review in years so I am not use to using those marketing words that reviewers throw around when they are trying to get you to buy meat (organic, lean), wine (full-bodied, sweet, dry), or real estate (lush, warm, dry), etc... So I will only tell you of my experience with my Empy and the R28. I played my favorite flac playlists from ELO, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, The Alan Parsons Project, Manheim Steamroller, and Howard Shore's Complete LOTR Soundtrack. I used each oversampling setting and non-oversampling for at least a day plus the Simulated Vinyl setting. As I said previously, I listened in from time to time for what ended up to be extended sessions.

Results: I have seen reviews and opinions of the Meze Empyreans that said they weren't worth their flagship price. That they were muddy and bloated in the bass and lacked treble, air and detail. Obviously, the reviewers and people with those opinions have never heard them with the R28. I have never heard the Empyrean sound so balanced and controlled on any other piece of equipment that I have owned. The bass was not reduced but brought under control and doesn't dominate the lower mids but when you need it, it is there. Sub bass is there...I got rumble from frequencies I never expected. But overall everything is balanced with more levels of detail and nuanced character.
For me, the Meze Empyrean sounds like a flagship headphone. That's the best compliment I can give the R28.

Is there better out there? Of course there is, but I'm finally at a good starting point. Time to enjoy it for a while...
-HK sends

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #1,199 of 1,678
Well folks,
After 400 additional recommended hours of burn-in with multiple multi-hour, I-can't-pull-myself-away sampling sessions, I am very impressed with the R28 (2022). Unfortunately, my LCD-5s still haven't arrived so all the playback was on my Meze Empyrean. I admit I was a little snarky with my previous post about new worlds and horizons not opening up for me with the R28 but there was a grain of truth to the post as I will try to explain here.

My only DAC experiences have been the common Delta Sigma and Schiit's version of Multibit. In the case of the Delta Sigma (being a believer in circuit/brain/line/system/metaphysical/unicorn/whathaveyou burn-in), I could hear changes in sound quality over time. Some could be minor like smoothing of treble or tightening of bass. Sometimes the changes were almost drastic like the soundstage opening out and gaining air and detail. I understand the DAC is only one component in the system but can contribute significantly to the changes...IMHO/YMMV.

To me, the thing about the R28 is it started out by sounding fantastic with a mature sound that Delta Sigma (and Multibit) evolve into over time. So why bother with a recommended 400 hour burn-in? Nuance. Subtlety. Feeling like you are a part of the music. Being able to pick out whatever part of the music you want and just track on that for the whole song...or...listen to the music as a whole and feel like you haven't missed a thing. It's powerful and the amp just gets out of the way. When I started using it I was concerned it was too powerful for the Meze Empyreans which are very easy to drive and on low gain the highest volume I could listen to for my comfort was around 25-30. The Empy's could take more but I couldn't. I didn't dare try high gain for fear of setting off the smoke alarm.

I haven't written a review in years so I am not use to using those marketing words that reviewers throw around when they are trying to get you to buy meat (organic, lean), wine (full-bodied, sweet, dry), or real estate (lush, warm, dry), etc... So I will only tell you of my experience with my Empy and the R28. I played my favorite flac playlists from ELO, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, The Alan Parsons Project, Manheim Steamroller, and Howard Shore's Complete LOTR Soundtrack. I used each oversampling setting and non-oversampling for at least a day plus the Simulated Vinyl setting. As I said previously, I listened in from time to time for what ended up to be extended sessions.

Results: I have seen reviews and opinions of the Meze Empyreans that said they weren't worth their flagship price. That they were muddy and bloated in the bass and lacked treble, air and detail. Obviously, the reviewers and people with those opinions have never heard them with the R28. I have never heard the Empyrean sound so balanced and controlled on any other piece of equipment that I have owned. The bass was not reduced but brought under control and doesn't dominate the lower mids but when you need it, it is there. Sub bass is there...I got rumble from frequencies I never expected. But overall everything is balanced with more levels of detail and nuanced character.
For me, the Meze Empyrean sounds like a flagship headphone. That's the best compliment I can give the R28.

Is there better out there? Of course there is, but I'm finally at a good starting point. Time to enjoy it for a while...
-HK sends
Good afternoon.
Thank you for your feedback, also thanks to him.....
....Ordered an Audio GD R-28 2022, due in early December. This is my first R2R, now have a Singxer SDA-2c, here will compare different DAC technology. Will write a review for sure.

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #1,200 of 1,678
Any comparisons to RME ADI2 Dac FS or Gustard X26 Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back