Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Sep 18, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #661 of 1,678
This is the sabre equivalent to the r8 but with headphone amp as a bonus. SMD resistors are used, a lighter chassis, and and other cost-reduction is made to bring a value offer that should be pretty close to the nfb7.77/master-9 stack.

This is interesting sounds like a real winner.

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #663 of 1,678
Yes. If you want a very neutral sound with tons of power to drive pretty much anything. You can have it with a pair of 9038 dac chips for 1600$ or so. No review or impressions yet.

As good as that sounds I'd like a r2r variant. R28 type unit but with master 9 amp.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #666 of 1,678
Not enough room in the chassis for the relay volume control boards. You have to go for a r-8/master-9 stack to keep the price reasonable. Still a great bargain.

Make room :wink:

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #667 of 1,678
Hey there,

@Currawong (or anyone): thumb up for your video review. In addition, what would you say about R-28 unbalanced outputs? (Both jack 6,3 and RCA line out) Thanks.

Asking this as I only have unbalanced headphones and only RCA inputs for my stereo integrated amp.

I'd say don't buy a balanced component if you aren't going to use the balanced outputs.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #671 of 1,678
I’d prefer increased height to increased width. The Master chassis is already too big for my liking. An R-28 chassis with more height would be far better.
For practicality, you are right. But as far as fitting the hw in, the overall dimensions must be greater than those of the r8. I don't think we will see such a combo unless Kingwa reduces the size of the volume control board. I am not sure if it would be a good thing. I prefer good old, and big, designs.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #672 of 1,678
R-28 arrived yesterday. 12 days from purchase to delivery.

I need to completely go through this thread to see which headphones people prefer with the onboard amp. If there is no real pickiness to the amp then I'm thinking Aeon Flow Open, Focal Clear or an old favorite, HD800S.

As a previous Spring DAC (Lvl 1, 3) owner I wanted to return to R2R DACs, but instead of another Spring, I wanted to try AudioGD since I've never owned any of their products. I liked the idea of an all-in-one R2R unit as well. In the process of a man cave cleanup but hoping to start the burn-in/listening process by the weekend.

Based on some quick reading in this thread I don't get the sense that I2S input is an absolute must for best performance. Taking it slow, but I can always add some type of SU-1 or X-SPDIF-2 in the future. Both of those were kind of mandatory on the Spring DAC for best performance. Not starting a Spring vs R-28 war :). There is plenty of room for good DACs from multiple companies.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #673 of 1,678
I now using R-28 for 1 months up now I quite impress for what they can do.

Mostly I use it on Optical due to I play game from my ps4.

The sound quality from USB is far better than optical.

I want to use SPDIF but my TV not support it.

Did you think HDMI input will be more detail than optical?

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #674 of 1,678
R-28 continuous burn in for 14 days (business trip, left the unit on). It sound wonderful powering my LCD-2, but after 2 weeks, it's amazing!
It is now also a preamp for my 1 day old dynaudio lyd 7 and the R-28 sounds just as good on studio monitors. Hope burn in on the monitors will improve things.

20180919_195628.jpg

Now to find a matching subwoofer.. and figure out how to get the R-28 to output to sub. Anyone knows how with the R-28?

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #675 of 1,678
R-28 continuous burn in for 14 days (business trip, left the unit on). It sound wonderful powering my LCD-2, but after 2 weeks, it's amazing!
It is now also a preamp for my 1 day old dynaudio lyd 7 and the R-28 sounds just as good on studio monitors. Hope burn in on the monitors will improve things.

Now to find a matching subwoofer.. and figure out how to get the R-28 to output to sub. Anyone knows how with the R-28?
Dynaudio makes the 9s subwoofer in their pro line that does in line hi pass and low pass filtering. This will do what you want. The connection is a little different than you are thinking though.

R-28 -> 9s -> lyd 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back