Audio-gd NFB-28
Sep 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #481 of 2,104
  However, I'd not mentioned that I also have a pair of prodipe pro 5 v2 active speakers.
They are, as of now, connected to the integrated gigabyte motherboard audio panel
and they do gather lots of noise from there while not giving their best for the same reason.
So I need the xlr output to connect the prodipes. :)

A bit of topic but, I have the same active speakers and have them connected to an audio gd c2 (and before that to a nfb5) using rca to jack interconnect cable . At first, I had a low quality interconnect cable and had a lot of noise (the back of my computer is full of cable ...). I simply switch to a shielded interconnet cable and the problem was solved. You may wanna try before going for xlr.

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #482 of 2,104
  A bit of topic but, I have the same active speakers and have them connected to an audio gd c2 (and before that to a nfb5) using rca to jack interconnect cable . At first, I had a low quality interconnect cable and had a lot of noise (the back of my computer is full of cable ...). I simply switch to a shielded interconnet cable and the problem was solved. You may wanna try before going for xlr.

Simply switching to better cables (mine is double shielded already though) would still leave them
connected to the motherboard of my pc which is far from ideal. The more important part here is to connect
them to a better source. Losing the interference/noise in the process is more of a plus. Big plus, ofc.
I'm far from an expert on the matter but I safely concluded that xlr is better for active speakers, and
generally everything else profits from using it, too.
Also, having more output options is never bad. :)

I'm kind of looking for a jack of all trades dac, considering future upgrades.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #483 of 2,104
If you want a Jack Of All Trades, NRB-28 is the best you can do for anywhere near the price... which is why I got one. Multiple sources, adding speakers, great with any headphone, remote control... I can't think of anything it's missing!

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #484 of 2,104
If you want a Jack Of All Trades, NRB-28 is the best you can do for anywhere near the price... which is why I got one. Multiple sources, adding speakers, great with any headphone, remote control... I can't think of anything it's missing!

Terming it "Jack of all trade" may give an impression it's master of none, which probably isn't your intend as it would be quite unfair to the nfb28.

I bought one of the very first nfb28 a year ago when I start to get back to full-size (been out of it and go exclusively IEMs and portable for a few years) and wanted a nice all-arounder to be my base line when evaluating new DACs and AMP. After spending much time with dedicated amps and dacs at the $1000 to $1500 level I simply could not find anything that gives me clear improvement via my LCD3/HE6. IMO if we would need to spend upwards of a total $3000 for dedicated amp/dac components to rival nfb28 at under $700, it's a winner.

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #485 of 2,104
Terming it "Jack of all trade" may give an impression it's master of none, which probably isn't your intend as it would be quite unfair to the nfb28.

I bought one of the very first nfb28 a year ago when I start to get back to full-size (been out of it and go exclusively IEMs and portable for a few years) and wanted a nice all-arounder to be my base line when evaluating new DACs and AMP. After spending much time with dedicated amps and dacs at the $1000 to $1500 level I simply could not find anything that gives me clear improvement via my LCD3/HE6. IMO if we would need to spend upwards of a total $3000 for dedicated amp/dac components to rival nfb28 at under $700, it's a winner.

how about the nfb27 or the ref10.32 :wink:)

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #486 of 2,104
how about the nfb27 or the ref10.32 :wink:)

You can ask kingwa for his own opinion :wink:

Fwiw I was ready to give him nfb27 money but I thought I might actually follow the man's own advise.... for pcm1704, he strongly recommended to go for the M7 when/if I don't like the nfb28 sabre sound and keep the 28 as amp.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #487 of 2,104
has anyone used this amp with the Beyer T70's?

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #488 of 2,104
if u hear relay click noise everytime you start or stop playback thats normal, if your songs has a short silence at the begining, you wont notice the 0.5 sec muting

What if the songs don't have a short silence at the beginning?

Quote:
kingwa add that muting design to avoid the unpleasant noise between DSD and PCM file playback

However, for me the unpleasant thing is to miss 0.5 seconds of music every time i press 'pause' and 'play'.

Regards.

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #489 of 2,104

What if the songs don't have a short silence at the beginning?

However, for me the unpleasant thing is to miss 0.5 seconds of music every time i press 'pause' and 'play'.

Regards.

if the songs don't have short silence at the beginning then your first 0.5 song will be truncated

if u use foobar2000 or Jriver you can add silence in the begining of track, just add like 0.8 sec so all your songs now wont be affected by the muting design

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #490 of 2,104
I just received an NFB-28 yesterday. Along with it came a couple unidentifiable items. Sent an email to Kingwa but i won't hear from him until at least this evening.
Does anyone know what these are?

Is this a dimmer switch for the display?

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #491 of 2,104
I just received an NFB-28 yesterday. Along with it came a couple unidentifiable items. Sent an email to Kingwa but i won't hear from him until at least this evening.
Does anyone know what these are?

Is this a dimmer switch for the display?

the little chip is USB firmware chip, agd included it for those who burn their chip during flashing firmware, i personally found it useless since i have up/down firmware on many agd dacs without any trouble for the past 2 years :))

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #492 of 2,104
  the little chip is USB firmware chip, agd included it for those who burn their chip during flashing firmware, i personally found it useless since i have up/down firmware on many agd dacs without any trouble for the past 2 years :))

Thank you for the info!

And any ideas what the switch is for?

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #493 of 2,104

And any ideas what the switch is for?

That is not a switch, it is the extra volume potentiometer the nfb28 came with.
Some people had their volume pot broken during shipping, and this prompted agd to include extras.
At one stage, kingwa even eliminated the volume pot on his products! Putting on push button volume controls instead. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #494 of 2,104
Thank you Sayh and Xxxfbsxxx for answering my questions.

I bought the NFB-28 for my home (I have a NFB-10ES2 in my work space where I only listen to music from the computer). Using the NFB-28 as a preamp is fantastic. And it's great to be able to listen to Vinyl on headphones through a quality headphone amp,  run balanced from my phono preamp - a Violectric V600 (also running balanced out of my turntable), and controlling everything through the Audio-GD metal remote which is really good looking. The headphone amp and DAC sounds the same as the 10ES2 to me, but the preamp with multiple analog inputs + outputs makes it a much better investment than the 10ES2, and it has noticeably improved the sound of my system. That said, i think the 10ES2 is better looking - the buttons and display feel crammed onto the face of the NFB-28. The other issue is the brightness of the display. The 10ES2 has a dimmer for the display and I miss that for sure. Does anyone know if they is a way to dim the display (this would have to happen internally but I would consider it worthwhile). In the end I am a huge fan of Kingwa and Audio-GD. Next purchase will be two Precision 1s!

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #495 of 2,104
Consult kingwa direct if you intend to mod from in within the display circuits.
If not, easiest would be paste a cut to size colored window tint film, over the display, internally, externally, tint percentage, all up to you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back