Audio-gd NFB-28
Jun 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #406 of 2,104
Jun 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #408 of 2,104
  Imaging, too.
The HE-6 have more impact (more weight/body) but the 560 have faster transient.

Sure, on a great setup but from memory, my setup was not too great in this regard... Plus, the production unit should be even further improved, remember that 
cool.gif

Hence the 560 should hopefully have a more uniform sound across setups.
Imaging is a big plus though 
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #409 of 2,104

I will and when I get time to I will do the thing to make it a little warmer as well. The bass is pretty flat as it is though everything is clean and detailed. My family is staying with us so I will have to wait until they leave so I can hunker down on it. 

Where its at now the he-6 is turned almost all the way up for where I usually max out the volume for longer, loud listens. But some songs struggle and I know it needs more power for the bass. The bass sounds like it needs to be unlocked by a secret password(p*w*r)

if it doesnt work instead of letting go of the amp I will prob reach for the he-560. 

The warmer jumpers will most likely only change the sound slightly. Some even claims as much that it degrades the sound.

Ad for the highlighted part, that's essentially what I did, I sold the HE-6 a year ago and have pre-ordered the 560 4 months ago...
While power was not the issue for me [speaker taps], they sounded very lean on my setup, almost boring, almost too analytical I'd say. [but I do blame my setup for that partially]...
I loved them for all the things they did right - resolution, details, clarity, timbre, precision and tightness but they had a few flaws [above] I did not like, comfort and demands being up there as well.

As it is right now, the HE-560 seems to be the warmer, less bright, less demanding and more comfy... Even if it does not match the HE-6 in some areas, it does outclass them in a few, supposedly - like soundstage width or dynamics/impact...
All in all, I am looking forward to the HE-560 being as or even more so pleasant an experience as the HE-6 was :beerchug:

On this particular amp I am finding he same issues but my reasons for wanting to build a rig around it was how pure it sounds even under amped and at low listening levels. It is very unique and best everything I have had to date in that regards.
Did they make you send it back and did u have the 560 with the 28?

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #410 of 2,104
I've been following this thread since the Audio gd products, and NFB-28 in particular, seem to be some of the very best performance in their price range (or even well above their price range).  However, I'm concerned about all the problems reported.  I understand that almost all products tend have weak spots, and trade offs must be made.  I was hoping this might be a great product for me, but I'm starting to lose interest.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #412 of 2,104
On this particular amp I am finding he same issues but my reasons for wanting to build a rig around it was how pure it sounds even under amped and at low listening levels. It is very unique and best everything I have had to date in that regards.
Did they make you send it back and did u have the 560 with the 28?

Never got the 560 as only a few pre-orders initially shipped [and those were then recalled] as I ordered from a dealer.
I have the Compass2 [which is as similar as you can get to the 28] so that will be my point of reference, which should be useful for 28 owners as well.

Do u mean the 560 has better imaging?

Yep, that's what the reports say.

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #415 of 2,104

so if it do that will my he-6 through the optical out get louder? As it is its the same level as the usb almost. 

nope, the additional 6db gain on analog input has nothing to do with optical input and getting louder doesn't mean able to drive headphones properly

hey thanks guys for all the help

I figured Id mention that though I have had a ton of headphones I am totally tech illiterate. That "headphoneus supremus" moniker dont mean JACK nuggets to me as I have a ton to learn. I just shy away from the tech stuff because I loose interest too quickly. Im quick to explain how something sounds but cant really help much when it comes to the technical aspects. 

when sending a signal to my bottlehead I didnt have a DAC and the builder told me all audible audio is analog and that from the iMac optical out  the bottlehead/spdbl is getting an analog single. 
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #416 of 2,104

I figured Id mention that though I have had a ton of headphones I am totally tech illiterate. That "headphoneus supremus" moniker dont mean JACK nuggets to me as I have a ton to learn. I just shy away from the tech stuff because I loose interest too quickly. Im quick to explain how something sounds but cant really help much when it comes to the technical aspects. 

when sending a signal to my bottlehead I didnt have a DAC and the builder told me all audible audio is analog and that from the iMac optical out  the bottlehead/spdbl is getting an analog single. :confused_face(1):

I believe the Macbooks have a combination optical/3.5mm out, so unless you're running the output into another device (DAC), you'd have to be using it as a standard headphone output I believe, which is analog.

Saw you're selling your HE-6, hate it didn't work out for you, man!!

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #417 of 2,104

when sending a signal to my bottlehead I didnt have a DAC and the builder told me all audible audio is analog and that from the iMac optical out  the bottlehead/spdbl is getting an analog single. 
confused_face(1).gif

I believe the Macbooks have a combination optical/3.5mm out, so unless you're running the output into another device (DAC), you'd have to be using it as a standard headphone output I believe, which is analog.

Saw you're selling your HE-6, hate it didn't work out for you, man!!

I am super unstable with headphones and like to try everything... BUT its either sell the nfb 28 to be replaced by i dont know what at its price point that can best its sq and power at its price or sell the he-6 to be replaced by the he560. 

The latter makes more sense because Im not about to get a lesser DAC and good speaker amp.

I think what sold me was the imaging,bass, warmer mids and comfort. I value that very much. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #418 of 2,104
I haven't experimented with many amps/DACs... So tell me, oh experienced ones, is it just me, or do headphones really lose the center image much more than with other gear? My only references are a Xonar DGX, NAD 356BEE with DAC integrated amp and the Benchmark DAC1. I think it's more of the DAC section than the amp... Idk. SE on all, btw. I will say, nothing else gives me layering like the 28.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #419 of 2,104
I haven't experimented with many amps/DACs... So tell me, oh experienced ones, is it just me, or do headphones really lose the center image much more than with other gear? My only references are a Xonar DGX, NAD 356BEE with DAC integrated amp and the Benchmark DAC1. I think it's more of the DAC section than the amp... Idk. SE on all, btw. I will say, nothing else gives me layering like the 28.

I always thought amplifiers were more important than DAC but my recent experiences are proving otherwise so yeah, I agree.
The Compass2 (same DAC as 28) gives amazing layering. That's all due to just how reference, revealing and transparent it is, along with the amp section.

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #420 of 2,104
I always thought amplifiers were more important than DAC but my recent experiences are proving otherwise so yeah, I agree.
The Compass2 (same DAC as 28) gives amazing layering. That's all due to just how reference, revealing and transparent it is, along with the amp section.

Do the NFB-28 and Compass 2 really share the same DAC? The Audio-GD site says that the NFB-28 features a "real balanced DAC" and I see no such mention on the Compass 2 page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back