Audio-gd NFB-28
Jun 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #391 of 2,104
Will do shortly.
Can the source be different eg. USB - PC, optical - PS3?

Awesome, thanks!

Yes it can.  That's actually exactly how I have it set up right now for testing a separate optical source.  USB to PC and Optical to PS3.  Once you turn on the PS3, you can switch to it if you'd like and hear the main menu sounds when you scroll around.  Switching back to USB, the internal muting relay should no longer 'click'.  Then as soon as you turn off the PS3, the muting relay click will return.

In my case at least :)

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #392 of 2,104
  Awesome, thanks!

Yes it can.  That's actually exactly how I have it set up right now for testing a separate optical source.  USB to PC and Optical to PS3.  Once you turn on the PS3, you can switch to it if you'd like and hear the main menu sounds when you scroll around.  Switching back to USB, the internal muting relay should no longer 'click'.  Then as soon as you turn off the PS3, the muting relay click will return.

In my case at least :)

Running Compass2 latest firmware and USB drivers. Using PS3 as optical source and PC as USB source, playing music on both, my USB still clicks.
So the mute relay is fully working on my unit even if optical is engaged and playing.

Still, I'd prefer it as an optional item. I have zero DSD songs and the clicks are quite annoying nonetheless.

For me, line in still doesn't work when USB is engaged though [or on the USB input, has to switch to digital inputs. Minor hassle though]

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #393 of 2,104
  Running Compass2 latest firmware and USB drivers. Using PS3 as optical source and PC as USB source, playing music on both, my USB still clicks.
So the mute relay is fully working on my unit even if optical is engaged and playing.

Still, I'd prefer it as an optional item. I have zero DSD songs and the clicks are quite annoying nonetheless.

For me, line in still doesn't work when USB is engaged though [or on the USB input, has to switch to digital inputs. Minor hassle though]

Cool, thanks.  Looks like it will have to go back unfortunately.

If you want to disable the muting relay, it is possible.  Ask Kingwa, there is a wire you need to take off and it will disable it.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #394 of 2,104
  I'm in that forum and I tested the Lyr and the HE-6.

In most cases, I could not pass 50/60 steps of volume. You only can have problems of low volume at the max with very low volume recordings. But at the end I think the HE-6 needs more power, for me the HE-500 is a better match for the NFB-28. I guess that the HE-6 will be driven better with the Master 9, or even the SA-31SE, which is more powerful than the NFB-28. I have the NFB-28 conected to a computer and with the HE-500 usually have the volume arround 30 in High Gain.

Comparing the NFB-28 vs the Lyr, I think that the Audio GD is a better amp in every way. Is more neutral, refined, and smooth. I found that the Lyr sounds quite good, but for me, it lacks some overall refinement. The power output is very similar, but maybye the diferences with the HE-6 are because of the voltage. Anyway, I woud not recommend any of both to drive the HE-6 properly.

Hello.

That forum is talking about?

You could put a link where they talk of Nfb-28?

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #395 of 2,104
  Thought I'd post brief impressions on the warmth jumpers since I'd asked others about their thoughts on them. The mid-bass gets a ~10% increase in lushness (perhaps even a mild boost - sounds more Sennheiser-esque), giving bass guitars/drums a nice, pleasing soft punch. Mids maybe lose ~5% of dynamics/clarity, but gain some darkness. Treble, it's hard to tell, perhaps3% more veiled, but that could be my imagination.

Sounds great as a DAC/pre! Much better upper mids and portrayal of reverb/room decay compared to the DAC module/pre in the NAD 375BEE integrated amp. Upper mids/lower treble are very hard to get right IMHO! I'm loving this product more and more every day!

For treble it sounds less piercing IMO especially for songs that has lots of high frequencies.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #396 of 2,104
Just to confirm the previous impressions, the 28 isn't ideal for the he6 some recordings definitely need more power. It's a very clean sounding amp and great otherwise.
iMac >audirvana> USB > nfb 28 on high gain,HP selected> he6 4pin xlr terminated

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #398 of 2,104
Has anyone tried the Master 9 with the he-6?

Got my NFB-28 earlier this week and have really been enjoying it so far.  My favorite amp for the He-500 for sure, really makes the treble and upper mid-range perfect IMHO and I only need to get to 30-40 range volume wise to have plenty of volume with any music.  One thing I'm noticing is great dynamic range from these, the NFB does a great job at presenting instruments "attack" and "decay,"  it's fun to listen to.

About to try it out as a pre-amp/DAC with a Marantz 2220B I just got, I'm thinking it will be a nice combination.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 15, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #399 of 2,104
  Hey Guys, I just found out that: If the input is RCA(I use iphone 5S), and I hooked up my HE 500. The volume is much lower than using USB as input. The NFB 28 can't be a dedicated amp?

There are jumpers to increase the gain by 6 dB. It's a bit low for me too, so instead of using the jumpers, I throw in my Bottlehead Quickie.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #400 of 2,104
  Hey Guys, I just found out that: If the input is RCA(I use iphone 5S), and I hooked up my HE 500. The volume is much lower than using USB as input. The NFB 28 can't be a dedicated amp?

read the user manual here, on this part "Setting the NFB-28 have extra 6DB gain for analog inputs:"

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB28/NFB28EN_Use.htm

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #401 of 2,104

It can be used as dedicated amp but the 5s headphone out doesn't deliver the standard lineout power expected by any amp. Using the extra gain jumper will help but then the signal may be too loud and clips when you use a source with a proper lineout.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #402 of 2,104

read the user manual here, on this part "Setting the NFB-28 have extra 6DB gain for analog inputs:"

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB28/NFB28EN_Use.htm

so if it do that will my he-6 through the optical out get louder? As it is its the same level as the usb almost. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #403 of 2,104
  so if it do that will my he-6 through the optical out get louder? As it is its the same level as the usb almost. 

It should get louder definitely. Try and see!

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #404 of 2,104

It should get louder definitely. Try and see!

I will and when I get time to I will do the thing to make it a little warmer as well. The bass is pretty flat as it is though everything is clean and detailed. My family is staying with us so I will have to wait until they leave so I can hunker down on it. 

Where its at now the he-6 is turned almost all the way up for where I usually max out the volume for longer, loud listens. But some songs struggle and I know it needs more power for the bass. The bass sounds like it needs to be unlocked by a secret password(p*w*r)

if it doesnt work instead of letting go of the amp I will prob reach for the he-560. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #405 of 2,104
  I will and when I get time to I will do the thing to make it a little warmer as well. The bass is pretty flat as it is though everything is clean and detailed. My family is staying with us so I will have to wait until they leave so I can hunker down on it. 

Where its at now the he-6 is turned almost all the way up for where I usually max out the volume for longer, loud listens. But some songs struggle and I know it needs more power for the bass. The bass sounds like it needs to be unlocked by a secret password(p*w*r)

if it doesnt work instead of letting go of the amp I will prob reach for the he-560. 

The warmer jumpers will most likely only change the sound slightly. Some even claims as much that it degrades the sound.

Ad for the highlighted part, that's essentially what I did, I sold the HE-6 a year ago and have pre-ordered the 560 4 months ago...
While power was not the issue for me [speaker taps], they sounded very lean on my setup, almost boring, almost too analytical I'd say. [but I do blame my setup for that partially]...
I loved them for all the things they did right - resolution, details, clarity, timbre, precision and tightness but they had a few flaws [above] I did not like, comfort and demands being up there as well.

As it is right now, the HE-560 seems to be the warmer, less bright, less demanding and more comfy... Even if it does not match the HE-6 in some areas, it does outclass them in a few, supposedly - like soundstage width or dynamics/impact...
All in all, I am looking forward to the HE-560 being as or even more so pleasant an experience as the HE-6 was 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back