Audio-gd NFB-28
Mar 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #211 of 2,104
  Honestly for 680$, I don't think you can find something better.
I am not a Audio-GD seller. I sold my NFB-28 last week, because i wanted something with DSD support.

If you are looking for a neutral amp/dac NFB-28 is good choice. The low are very dry with good impact, mid/high cleare with no warmth.
And keep in your mind, if one day you go for a low impedance headphone, NFB-28 will able to drive them probably not HEED CANAMP.

It is funny that you can now buy the NFB-28 with DSD support

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #213 of 2,104
  It is funny that you can now buy the NFB-28 with DSD support

I want something who can handle DSD files
I am not masochist and that the same without the warranty DSD is working flawless. And espacially when you read that : "The DSD and 384K support not in warranty".
My new DAC got a Amanero usb interface and I can play DSD256 file. I know is useless, since no one is going for DSD128, so DSD256 ...

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #214 of 2,104
Anyone compared the 28 to the Schiit Bifrost/Asgard2 stack?

Looking to replace my big rig with one more inline with iems and powered monitors.  24 steps and sensitive iems... bad :wink:  Looking for something with analog pot or high step count, pre/hp switch and not too massive.

Also considering Grace or Burson but the Burson's stepped will likely be a problem with iems.

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #215 of 2,104
  Anyone compared the 28 to the Schiit Bifrost/Asgard2 stack?

Looking to replace my big rig with one more inline with iems and powered monitors.  24 steps and sensitive iems... bad :wink:  Looking for something with analog pot or high step count, pre/hp switch and not too massive.

Also considering Grace or Burson but the Burson's stepped will likely be a problem with iems.

Burson's stepped attenuator is pretty awful on any kind of sensitive headphones, i shudder at the thought of IEMs. 

I'm surprised this unit isn't more popular overall. For 2/3 of the cost of the Phoenix you get a balanced dac and amp. Pretty hard to beat. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #216 of 2,104
Personally I believe that the abundant options Audio-GD has hurts more than it helps.  

The Sabre version uses a 7110 ACSS based amp, the Wolfson an smd version of the amp used in the higher end models, including the Ref 10.32 and NBF-27.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #217 of 2,104
Can anyone elaborate on the 'warmness jumper' bit again?

Here is a thread I made recently: http://www.head-fi.org/t/709227/need-a-new-dac-se-or-dac-amp-balanced-suggestion-for-about-a-grand#post_10347935
cliffs - I like the NFB-28 for the the extras in balanced amp+usb input, but I am not sure if it will sound warm enough to my ears. I've read reviews, they all seem quite positive. Still, would help to know where it stands in neutralness-warmness spectrum compared to other DACs.

From what limited reading I've done, I learned that I/V stage and power circuitry is far more influential than the choice of DAC in determining the overall sound signature. Yet I saw some remarks stating the ES9108 designs tend to be faster, neutral but less warm/lush. Should I be looking at PCM1704 or WM874x ones instead? Not sure if there is a balanced dac + balanced amp package at a similar price point with those chips. IIRC PCM1704 is becoming scarce and you need like 8 chips to run them fully balanced + harder to design the analog section = more $$$

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #218 of 2,104
  I want something who can handle DSD files
I am not masochist and that the same without the warranty DSD is working flawless. And espacially when you read that : "The DSD and 384K support not in warranty".
My new DAC got a Amanero usb interface and I can play DSD256 file. I know is useless, since no one is going for DSD128, so DSD256 ...

Amanero suggest you have replaced NFB-28 by Yulong DA8, is that correct? If so, could you provide direct comparison of sound signature, from your point of view? TIA.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #219 of 2,104
No I can't. Since I didn't chose a Yulong.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #220 of 2,104
What is your NFB-28 replacement then, LKS? something different?
Edit:
OK i see in your description, LKS it is. So my 2nd quess was correct. If you could compare, my question still stands. I am on the similar path...

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #222 of 2,104
  Personally I believe that the abundant options Audio-GD has hurts more than it helps.  

The Sabre version uses a 7110 ACSS based amp, the Wolfson an smd version of the amp used in the higher end models, including the Ref 10.32 and NBF-27.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Definitely agree. Not to mention if someone says "Schiit Asgard" everyone knows the unit. If you say "Audio-GD NFB-___" there are so many options chances are no ones heard it before. Also, all the Audio-GD owners are fractured into various threads. Variety is great, but I think Kingwa needs to try to limit the options as well. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #223 of 2,104

Definitely agree. Not to mention if someone says "Schiit Asgard" everyone knows the unit. If you say "Audio-GD NFB-___" there are so many options chances are no ones heard it before. Also, all the Audio-GD owners are fractured into various threads. Variety is great, but I think Kingwa needs to try to limit the options as well. 

He's been working on that lately.

The worst was the NFB-10 which existed with various DAC chips and specs.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #224 of 2,104

He's been working on that lately.

The worst was the NFB-10 which existed with various DAC chips and specs.

The NFB-10 was particularly confusing. Not to mention, at first glance many thought the NFB-10SE meant "single ended" even thought it was also a balanced unit through and through. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #225 of 2,104
Shame about having to open the unit up to change between fixed and variable. I alternate between two sets of speakers: active monitors requiring 'variable' and passives (with pre and power amps) requiring 'fixed'. Without an external toggle switch, it's too impracticle. Would pay extra for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back