Audio-gd NFB-28
Nov 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #166 of 2,104
Hi can somebody help me with this selection. I have a Hifiman HE-500 which I feel is a bit bright.

I was trying between the NFB10ES3 and NFB28 but apparently they sound the same and have only minor upgrades. Actually I was recommended the NFB10.33 because of its warmer and smoother sound. It is obviously cheaper. I read somewhere in this thread that the PCB of the newer models being more future proof than the older PCB of the NFB10.33.

Now reading through this thread, I am leaning towards the NFB28, especially if it can be made to sound warm by a simple adjustment.

How do the NFB10.33 compares to the NFB28 sonically?

I intend to by the 30 dollars kit from Kingwa to modify the stock cable of HE500 to balanced.

Any feedback is welcome. Also has anyone got any idea how either of the models sound with the Hifiman?

Thanks.

What is your budget?
Also, what is your current setup to help us identify your preference in terms of sound signature.

From my experience, the SA-31 is a terrific pairing for the Hifimans. It has 3 warmth setting which is convenient for brighter phones (HE-4) and enough power and low noise floor to drive anything ranging from iem all the way up to the HE-6.
It is an amp only, though.

Too bad I sold my HE-500s right after I got the NFB-27 - and before I could set up the latter properly. A different class, but certainly a sound signature similar to the little brother NFB-28.

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #167 of 2,104
Here's an interesting question too...

After  listening to Bryston BHA-1 today at the store and a couple of DACs (BDA-1 and Naim Audio Classic DAC which I think I prefer over the BDA-1) I'm thinking of doing the following - I'll be getting a DAC/AMP by Audio-gd if that will be right, or maybe the Yulong DA8 or Matrix X-Sabre I can't demo these here...

Anyway, I'm thinking of Audio-gd NFB-28 like in a month or two and then get myself Bryston BHA-1 amp for it, my headphones will be mostly LCD-3 and perhaps some HD700 or HD800 (If I decide to upgrade somehow/time)

Will this be a good idea, getting the NFB-28 and then going for the Bryston BHA-1 as a separate amp and using the NFB-28 as the DAC?

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #169 of 2,104
Thanks clemmaster.

Actually I am speaker guy having a Focal 826 and Image T2 with an SVS woofer driven by a Denon 3312. I am currently driving the Hifiman off the Denon headphone jack.

I have no headphone DAC or amp. I was basically looking for all in one solution for night time listening from my PC. Unfortunately Audio GD DAC works only from a PC, so I cannot use my other iOS and Android family of sources.

My media is mostly Blu-ray (concerts, musical, jazz, rock, movies, classical, instruments, flamenco etc). Music includes flack, 24/96, 24/192 flac etc.

Also I was keen to go balanced with Hifiman, so Audio GD products seem to solve so many requirements for much less money. All suggestions welcome.

Sorry forgot to mention, budget is around 800 usd.

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #171 of 2,104

What is your budget?
Also, what is your current setup to help us identify your preference in terms of sound signature.

From my experience, the SA-31 is a terrific pairing for the Hifimans. It has 3 warmth setting which is convenient for brighter phones (HE-4) and enough power and low noise floor to drive anything ranging from iem all the way up to the HE-6.
It is an amp only, though.

Too bad I sold my HE-500s right after I got the NFB-27 - and before I could set up the latter properly. A different class, but certainly a sound signature similar to the little brother NFB-28.

Saw that you recently picked up the SA-1.32, curious on your thoughts comparing that to other DACs you've owned. Been really tempted to pick up a PCM1704UK based DAC.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #172 of 2,104
Hi. Does anyone have a similar problem?

Dear Sergey,
It is the relays working sound, it close or break have one click sound.
This is normal for the relays based volume control .
Kingwa

At 2013-11-23 01:23:26:

Good day, Kingwa. Always and permanently, but not on all positions of regulator.
For example: one-two clicks - clearly audible buzzing, next click - quieter buzzing, next click - silence. And so the circle. 
Noise like the silent sound of high-voltage lines. Only in right chanel.

Thanks for your answering.

P.S.: SN: N28-13090211.

2013/11/22 audio-gd <audio-gd@126.com>
Dear Sergey,
Is the noise always exist?
Or just turn the volume and happen?
Stop turn the volume the noise disappear?
Kingwa

At 2013-11-22 03:11:34:

Good afternoon again. Could you answer? Dealer says the buzz in the headphones (one chanel) - this is normal. Linking to you. Device NFB28
Thanks in advance.

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #177 of 2,104
  This is not clicks. This is clearly audible permanent buzzing.

Quote:
  Noise is, even if completely disconnected from PC.

Experienced that when trying my nfb-28 with my inears (Logitech UE900) so i thought there where something wrong with my nfb-28. However when i got my HE-6 and hooked them up its completely silent at any volume.
I think it has something to do with impedance and/or sensitivity of the phones.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #178 of 2,104
Hey guys!! I've read everything I can possibly find on the NFB-28 (including Google's translations of Audio-gd's forum, which was about as unfun as it sounds), as I'm considering picking one up to tide me over until I can save up enough for a Lynx Hilo (probably going to be a while). I know that posts with a million questions about a particular piece of gear can get annoying, but I honestly can't find enough info to help me decide one way or another, so hopefully you won't mind if I look here for some friendly guidance! :)

Some background information: 
  1. My gear is listed in my profile, if anyone is interested. My speaker setup is computer -> V-Link 192 -> Daccord -> W4S STP-SE -> W4S SX500 (x2) -> ATC SCM 7
  2. I tend to value clarity, texture and tone over soundstage and "musicality." Treble extension and detail are highly valued. 
  3. In descending order of importance, my plans for the NFB-28 would go thusly: DAC > headphone amp > preamp.
  4. I listen to a pretty schizophrenically varied range of music, but I listen to more metal and generally discordant music than anything. 
  5. At some point, I will try these out driving a set of ATC SCM 10-2 actives and compare it to my W4S STP-SE preamp-- but it'll be a while. 

Here are my questions (please don't punch me): 

1. How well does the SE headphone out perform compared to the balanced output? Several AGD devices have poor SE outputs, and I want to make sure this one doesn't. I know the Audio-gd site indicates the SE output isn't compromised (I think that's what it's saying, anyway) but I'd like to know what experience you've had here. Any hiss, power or compatibility issues? I'm considering using it with some of my IEMs, and I'd love to have both functioning eardrums and non-melted ASG-2s if that's a possibility. 
  2. Ultimately, I'm considering this as a stopgap on my way to eventually getting a Lynx Hilo. Any chance that someone has heard both and could offer a comparison?
  3. If/when I get a Hilo, assuming I get the NFB-28 first, I'm considering keeping it as a balanced HP amp. Is there anything out there that is better as a balanced HP amp only?  Mjolnir, maybe? 
  4. This would essentially replace a Meier Daccord and AMB M^3 for me. Thoughts on how it would compare to those? (I plan on comparing it to the Daccord, which has a lot of positive things going for it, but the particularly smooth sound just doesn't mesh well with my preference for more aggressive music, particularly when using the LCD-2s). 
  5. From the DAC or HP outs, does this sound "dark" at all? A few years ago I strongly considered getting a Phoenix, but ultimately got something else due to the "dark" sound description. If anything, I tend to prefer a slightly treble-tilted sound. 
  6. With that said: any issues or complaints with the treble extension? 
  7. What other modifications can be requested from AGD besides changing ACSS output for RCA and TXCO upgrades? BNC for coaxial input maybe? And is there anything you'd consider particularly beneficial? 
  8. How far behind the Master series is this in terms of both DAC and HP amp capability? 
  9. Other than aesthetics, any benefit to getting the metal remote control? (Any additional button options, better range, etc)
  10. A bit tangential, but anybody have NFB-27 versus Lynx Hilo impressions to share? I'm pretty set on the Hilo (particularly due to its versatility and AD conversion), but as I'm an open minded person (=philandering gear whore) I'd welcome other thoughts that could change my plans. 
  11. Is the USB input on this pretty solid? I have a V-Link 192, any thoughts on whether that would be an up- down- or sidegrade? 

Again, hopefully this massive laundry list doesn't get me tarred and feathered-- I'm just a gear whore with a bit of an OCD streak, and this post is pretty much exactly what that looks like 
tongue.gif
. I'm interested in any thoughts or opinions you have, and I look forward to reading your responses as they come in!!

Side note: I'm more than happy to answer any questions anyone has of me on this, but I'm on a 14-hour shift tomorrow, so if there's a day or so lag in my communication, please know it's less from a lack of courtesy or interest than of sleep and free time :wink:

Thanks in advance, guys!!

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #179 of 2,104
  Here are my questions (please don't punch me): 

I can't answer all of your questions but I will answer what i think i can. Just so you know, I am sort of a n00b when it comes to headphones.
Have allways liked good audio (up untill a few months ago speakers only) but i generally just go for what i think sounds nice and dont analyze things so much. And I have only owned one pair of high-end headphones wich are my HE-6's and have only listened to the HE-500 in addition to them.

Any hiss, power or compatibility issues? I'm considering using it with some of my IEMs

I got some humming/hissing when i used my UE900's with the nfb-28. Works well with sennheiser pcx-450 though so there must be an issue with impedance and/or sensitivity when using the UE900's.

Quote:
From the DAC or HP outs, does this sound "dark" at all? A few years ago I strongly considered getting a Phoenix, but ultimately got something else due to the "dark" sound description. If anything, I tend to prefer a slightly treble-tilted sound. 

I would say no. I bought it because i prefer a more neutrual sound. It is not cold sounding but has some warmth to it.

With that said: any issues or complaints with the treble extension? 

No, not that I can pick up.

How far behind the Master series is this in terms of both DAC and HP amp capability? 

I have not listened to the master series but what i have heard from a colleague who has both and is a true audiophile, that there isnt that big a differense, if you dont have really good ears that is. He recommended me to buy the nfb-28 when i got my HE-6's instead of the master 9.

Other than aesthetics, any benefit to getting the metal remote control? (Any additional button options, better range, etc)

The metal remote is very nice. Its big but the plastic ones are very flimsy and feel cheap. I would recomend the metal remote.
With the metal one you could probably kill someone who sneaks up on you, its really solid and heavy :)

Is the USB input on this pretty solid? I have a V-Link 192, any thoughts on whether that would be an up- down- or sidegrade? 

I have had no problems what so ever. Not on my macbook pro, my Dell XPS laptop or my stationary PC.

/Striges

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #180 of 2,104
Great feedback man, thank you!! As for the UE900 humming/hissing, I looked it up and they are spec'd at 101.2 db, which seems pretty sensitive to me. I tried looking up both the pcx-450 and the ASG-2 for comparison, but couldn't find sensitivity numbers for either. I know that the ASG-2 is, in practice, noticeably less sensitive than the IE8, so I'm keeping hope alive that it will work with the SE out here :wink:. In truth, I'll be primarily using it with my LCD 2.1 and T5p, but naturally, I'd like to keep my options open. 

Btw, great call on the HE-6 as the one headphone to have... After auditioning one last year, I was utterly blown away, and will absolutely own a pair myself. One day 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back