Audio-gd NFB-28
Jan 6, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #1,366 of 2,104
Is the NFB still the best choice if I'm looking for a balanced DAC/Preamp/Headphone amp all-in-one combo for under $900?

How does the HD600 sound on it? Too bright?

How does this stack up against Schiit Multi-Bit tech?

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #1,367 of 2,104
Is the NFB still the best choice if I'm looking for a balanced DAC/Preamp/Headphone amp all-in-one combo for under $900?

How does the HD600 sound on it? Too bright?

How does this stack up against Schiit Multi-Bit tech?

Yes.

No HD600/650 will ever sound too bright.

Multibit will sound much better, IMO, but you can't get a Schiit all-in-one.  Audio-GD make an all-in-one multibit called the Master-11, but it's not under $900.

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #1,368 of 2,104
Would this be a wise purchase if I intended to add a balanced tube-amp later?

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #1,369 of 2,104
Would this be a wise purchase if I intended to add a balanced tube-amp later?

If you plan on going back and forth between the tube amp and the built-in SS amp, sure.  

If you never plan on using the SS amp again, I'd get the NFB-1DAC and NFB-1AMP, which is the same as the NFB-28 but in two units.  Then you can sell the amp off when the time comes.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #1,370 of 2,104
i havent heard anything multi-bit my self, but most people say its a pretty big step up from even very good delta-sigma like the nfb28. If your thinking of getting a TOTL tube amp in the future you should stay about from all in one. NFB28 has always been known for having a perfect balance of good dac and good amp, something none of the other AIO's have. depends what headphones you have and how high end you plan to go on that amp.

if your thinking about getting a WA22 to drive your 1000$+ headphones then the sabre dac on the 28 will probably be outclassed and hold back your system. If your thinking of getting a valhalla on the side to drive your 600/650/he400i then switching between on board and external amps might offer a nice way to mix it up.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #1,371 of 2,104
So... anyone interested in selling their NFB-28? :D

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,372 of 2,104
If I have zero interest in DSD, is there any benefit to the 2015 model? I'm looking at buying one used.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #1,373 of 2,104
There's better shielding inside, so a lower noise floor. It would only make a difference with very sensitive headphones (some portable models, IEMs). Also, the NFB-29 was introduced that year. Warmth jumpers might've been lost then as well.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #1,374 of 2,104
If I have zero interest in DSD, is there any benefit to the 2015 model? I'm looking at buying one used.

IMO, the money you save from buying used more than makes up for any small loss in performance from the incremental changes.  IMHO, I doubt anyone would notice the difference without A/B'ing.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,375 of 2,104
I was not a fan of the Bifrost multi-bit vs my NFB28, but I hear the Gumby and Yiggy are different beasts.

I recently purchased a Valhalla 2 to use in conjunction with my 28 whenever I feel like some tube flavor. Quite liking the setup, this 9018 implementation was one of the better ones I've found.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #1,376 of 2,104
How does the old NFB10ES compare to this one? Especially for driving LCD2s.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #1,377 of 2,104
How does the old NFB10ES compare to this one? Especially for driving LCD2s.

Similar amp, different DAC.  The NFB10ES uses a Wolfson DAC, which is going to be much warmer than the Sabre in the NFB-28.  For pairing with the LCD-2, I'd personally want the brighter one.  I think the LCD-2 needs all the help it can get in the treble department.  But that's a preference thing... YMMV.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,378 of 2,104
Warmer excite me.

Is it still considered a comparably excellent DAC?

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,379 of 2,104
Warmer excite me.

I haven't heard this implementation so it's hard to say.  The NFB-15, another Wolfson DAC, is nothing special.  The ALO CDM, Wolfson based, is spectacular.  The Wolfson is capable of scaling well so it's about the implementation.  You might ask in that thread?

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,380 of 2,104
Warmer excite me.

I had the the ZMF x Vibro and have tried them on the 10es as well as used them daily via Balanced and single end with the HFB 28, and The Vibros had very good bass and great musical and warm midrange, where the 10es sounded good with them, the NFB 28 sounded fantastic with them, because form my experience the detail and resolution as well as the staging felt better on the nfb28, and though it was less warm than the 10es it was by no means analytical, boring, sharp, and or bright. It has the stage, detail, and resolution of a great dac and amp but with a smoothness(not overwhelmingly so, but slightly) where it makes it much easier to listen too for long periods of time. The HE-560 is considered slightly brighter by some and one the NFB 28 I have never had any peakiness that bothered my ears, it sounds fast, detailed with nice punch and speed in the low end, detailed and and good neutrality without sounding dry and giving it a slight smoothness that makes it enjoyable and memorable, with still having good space, articulation, and without being bright in the treble. This is in my opinion on many different set ups in the 400-800$ dollar range the best all in one, and the best DAC/Amp that I have heard. Not to say it is the best out there for personal combos with certain headphones. But I have tried the Panam, the Lyr, GO1000(paired with separate amps both class a solid state and tube/tube hybrids)  but none gave me the detail and authority that the NFB28 can give with my orthodynamics. It makes it hard because I kind of am should I try something new? because it has been a while... but cannot think of anything inside of 1k that I feel would be a significant difference with my headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back