Audio-gd NFB-28
Dec 14, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,351 of 2,104
My NFB-28 is having an intermittent "USB Device Not Recognized" issue. It is one of the newer versions with the Amanero interface. I've tried different power cables, USB cables, USB ports and different computers. Other inputs work as normal. It appears the Amanero USB interface isn't starting correctly - no amount of resets fix it... but usually if this happens it works fine the next day after a long time powered off. Unfortunately this flared up again yesterday and is still not working today.

A month ago I went through the process of getting it returned to China for other intermittent issues (distortion, uneven volume changes, clicking sounds across all inputs when changing volume) They ended up shipping a whole new unit and covered all shipping costs but was painful as I need this interface to drive headphones and my speakers.

This is the ~5th Audio-GD unit I've owned and everything else has never had an issue. I think I've just been extremely unlucky and these intermittent issues have escaped their pre-shipment testing.

Any ideas head-fi on an easy fix? I really don't want to go through the whole returns process again!

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,352 of 2,104
Reflash the latest firmware, and clean reinstall the drivers.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #1,353 of 2,104
Should have mentioned I've reinstalled the drivers (it's funny - on the AGD website they use an outdated version of the amanero drivers. I've tried both clean installed). As it happens on my laptop and desktop I don't think it's a driver issue.

Is there any guidance online on reflashing the latest firmware?

Cheers.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #1,356 of 2,104
It has the same issue on both computers?

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,357 of 2,104
Yes exactly the same issue. As soon as it is plugged in "USB Device Not Recognised" comes up.

Going into Device Manager it comes up as 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)'. Double clicking on this shows this is error 'Code 43'.

Like I said this happens intermittently, like every 2 weeks or so. Roughly 13 days it's fine no issues. Suddenly this error comes up. Usually takes a day to fix itself.

I've tried all of the things above to find and isolate the issue. The only thing I keep coming back to is an issue with Amanero board on the device. I hope I'm wrong and there's a simple fix or else it's no device for a month again.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,358 of 2,104
  Yes exactly the same issue. As soon as it is plugged in "USB Device Not Recognised" comes up.

Going into Device Manager it comes up as 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)'. Double clicking on this shows this is error 'Code 43'.

Like I said this happens intermittently, like every 2 weeks or so. Roughly 13 days it's fine no issues. Suddenly this error comes up. Usually takes a day to fix itself.

I've tried all of the things above to find and isolate the issue. The only thing I keep coming back to is an issue with Amanero board on the device. I hope I'm wrong and there's a simple fix or else it's no device for a month again.

If it's happening on multiple computers and always on both when it happens, it has to be the hardware in the NFB-28.  Talk to Kingwa.  It's possible he could send you a new USB board for you to swap out and avoid shipping.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,359 of 2,104
Yeah. I can't quite get over how it only happens sometimes.

I love the sound of the NFB28 and as a balanced DAC/preamp/HP amp it's perfect for my needs so I'm set on getting this to work.

Will email Kingwa then. I'll post again when it's been solved.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,360 of 2,104
I'm considering an upgrade from my Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus to the NFB-28. Apart from the joys of balanced, which I'm really looking forward to, will this be a decent step up?

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #1,361 of 2,104
So ive been itching to upgrade something. NFB-28 to awesome so thats going to stay, he-500 trade for an LCD-2 is more of a side step not an upgrade.

So i decided to invest some coin in something i've previously thought to be snake oil, cleaner incoming AC. So like someone recomended i went with a Trip Lite isolation transformer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842111278&cm_re=power_conditioner-_-42-111-278-_-Product

I then tried to follow Bimmer's recomendation and picked up a Pangea Audio 1.5 Meter AC-14
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030ERR9A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Unfortunately on closer inspection the above is their budget model. now im debating with i should cancel the above for one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-Signature-Power-Cable/dp/B00V75CYL0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1451299252&sr=1-2&keywords=Pangea+Audio+AC+14SE+MKII

Might also pick up a shielded USB cable? pangea's is sexy and not that expensive, im using the one that came with the 28.
http://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-cable-PCOCC-silver/dp/B005AWYC9I/ref=pd_sim_23_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41SumLlztDL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1VB33GMAW8BBMR0AX5NX

I'm really hoping these upgrades get rid of the last bit of graininess when playing 192khz files. It seams the background noise is always noticeable with higher frequency files, all my best recordings are 24/96 or less.

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,362 of 2,104
So ive been itching to upgrade something. NFB-28 to awesome so thats going to stay, he-500 trade for an LCD-2 is more of a side step not an upgrade.

So i decided to invest some coin in something i've previously thought to be snake oil, cleaner incoming AC. So like someone recomended i went with a Trip Lite isolation transformer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842111278&cm_re=power_conditioner-_-42-111-278-_-Product

I then tried to follow Bimmer's recomendation and picked up a Pangea Audio 1.5 Meter AC-14
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030ERR9A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Unfortunately on closer inspection the above is their budget "c7" model. now im debating with i should cancel the above for one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-Signature-Power-Cable/dp/B00V75CYL0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1451299252&sr=1-2&keywords=Pangea+Audio+AC+14SE+MKII

While we're on the subject of snake oil, might also pick up a shielded USB cable? pangea's is sexy and not that expensive, im using the one that came with the 28.
http://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-cable-PCOCC-silver/dp/B005AWYC9I/ref=pd_sim_23_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41SumLlztDL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1VB33GMAW8BBMR0AX5NX

65$ power cord really better then 40$ or 5$ one? (i know this isnt even scractching the surface for prices out there) Better USB cable worth it? anyone using 'non-audiophile' isolation transformers with their gear?

I do not want to get into any cable arguments (not the least because it's against the forum rules) so I'll just throw this out there:  I had a chance to directly A/B a standard USB cable with a $500 Nordost Heimdall II USB cable.  The difference was noticeable and dramatic.

That said, I still haven't purchased an expensive USB cable nor do I plan to anytime soon.  $500 would be better spent upgrading my headphones or DAC at this point.

I've never experimented with power cables so I have no opinion on that subject.  Good luck, let us know if you get them and how they work out!

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,363 of 2,104
I do not want to get into any cable arguments (not the least because it's against the forum rules) so I'll just throw this out there:  I had a chance to directly A/B a standard USB cable with a $500 Nordost Heimdall II USB cable.  The difference was noticeable and dramatic.

That said, I still haven't purchased an expensive USB cable nor do I plan to anytime soon.  $500 would be better spent upgrading my headphones or DAC at this point.

thanks, i'll phrase my cable problem a little differently. All my recent purchases could offer a very slight change and improvement to my sound.

power conditioner (200$)
lower end upgrade USB and power cables (150$)
focuspad-a (40$)

But instead I could have just sold my he-500s for about 500$ and spent around 800-950$ on a used pair of LCD-2's or HD800's.

At this I love my current rig to much to change, so might as well squeeze a bit more out of it. I really need to get to a meet and try some other headphones, just to see whats really out there. I need to know i like something better before i start trying to change too much

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #1,364 of 2,104
Well two things:

1 - Power conditioner and upgraded power/USB cables can be used on ANY gear you own in the future.  It's something you'll never have to buy again.  If you feel like it's offering an improvement then it seems like a decent investment.

2 - I do think that you have room for improvement in your rig.  As you suggested, upgrading your cans is always a decent option.  I agree that the LCD-2 isn't the best upgrade path from the HE-500, but you've got the right idea.  Depending on how much you want to spend, you could also upgrade the DAC... I loved my NFB-28, but once I discovered R2R, it was hard to go back to Sabre... even the great AGD implementation.

But hey, if you're loving your rig, why spend more on upgraded cans or amp or DAC?  Close Head-fi, avoid temptation, and enjoy the music.  
atsmile.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,365 of 2,104
So quick update. been using my nfb-28 => he-500 for nearly a year now and love it. but i wanted to upgrade stuff so i picked up a Pangea 14se AC cable and a line conditioner. turns out the LC2400 conditioner is not an 'isolation transformer' and really not ideally suited for this kind of work. I haven't read up on what the technical difference is but the one i got is more for keeping check out machines running through brown outs. Thinking about trying to return it, didn't make any difference as far as i could tell.

The Pangea Audio AC 14SE MKII power cable however definitely changed the sound. this really surprised me, i was very skeptical it would. as i clicked buy i honestly resigned my self to waste 65$ on something that couldn't possibly make a real difference. I got the power cable before anything else so i got to try it without another recent change in the system. when i hit play i was thinking ok, maybe it will sound 'better'. but it wasn't really a matter of sounding better or worse, but it certainly sounded different. It was sort of thinner but a bit 'faster' and the sense of space is decently crisper. After listening for a few hours i would say the new sound is indeed 'better' although a person who really wants a warmer sound my like the stock cable.

here's an unrelated problem
I also ordered a USB cable from Pangea, that should get here Saturday. pretty excited to see if that corrects the only problem that's still bugging me. 24/96 tracks almost always sound better then 24/192. i have plenty of tracks 96k and under that have a totally black noise floor, but MOST of my 24/192 tracks have some level of hiss or a faint tone like a PA was left on in the corner of the room. I say most in caps because thats the strange part, i do have a hand full of 24/192 that are immaculately silent, namely the HD tracks Grateful Dead releases.

is this a common thing? I've wondered if all recordings have some level of defect and the ones that don't are just over processed. But after the change the power cable made i got my fingers crossed protecting the digital input will chase the last of the bats from my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back