Audio-gd NFB-28
Feb 5, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #1,981 of 2,104
On that topic, I find that the 28 likes a bit of warm-up time as well. I typically turn mine on 10-15 minutes before listening, because it doesn't sound quite as good cold. It's a small thing, but it helps.

I haven't noticed any break-in or change in sound over the past year, but I haven't listened for it either. Audio-gd burns them in for 100 hours before shipping, so I figured it's more or less done out of the box.

Currawong (Youtube reviewer) said that he likes to warm up it for 4 hrs or even more :D

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #1,982 of 2,104
Ordered Audio-GD NFB 28.28 AMP/DAC (got it cheaply), anyone tested NFB 28s filters with LCD 2C, what would give best soundstage or is best with it?

The Audio-GD equipment, like the Audeze transducers, are extremely sensitive and responsive, and don't incorporate any filtering or isolation(except the i2s usb isolator upgrade) at the inputs or ac line, so every little bit of noise its exposed to youll hear. Common/Traverse mode noise, smps noise, usb error correction phy noise, etc. etc. Some affordable conditioning to isolate the unit from the source and AC mains will render you the cleanest most detailed non fatiguing sound you've ever heard. You can see my signature for some examples but the jist is to have some type of USB high speed galvanic isolation before the usb input and an isolation transformer.

My recommendations are always the Uptone ISO Regen and Topaz Line Noise Isolator. The ISO regen is a little bit more at $300usd and the Topazs you can find new/used for $100. But the two together are really amazing improvements for Audio-GD components.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #1,983 of 2,104
I dont believe on any "USB purifiers" or so, I know what goes in there and anything that tampers the original code is BS. NFB has jitter fx in it and thats enough. What comes to "power purifier" too it is not needed is Finland, we got highest electric network standards in the world. But thanx anyway..

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #1,984 of 2,104
Galvanic isolation for the USB is standard on the 28 now anyway. It was an upgrade option (which I took) when I bought mine a year ago.

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #1,985 of 2,104
Galvanic isolation for the USB is standard on the 28 now anyway. It was an upgrade option (which I took) when I bought mine a year ago.

The isolator for the Amanero board is on the i2s side, so the usb to i2s conversion is still susceptible to all that noise, so having high speed usb galvanic isolation before the receiver is still beneficial. Also if you have the i2s isolator on the Amanero board then it's USB powered, even nore reason to drop power from the source and inject clean power.

I dont believe on any "USB purifiers" or so, I know what goes in there and anything that tampers the original code is BS. NFB has jitter fx in it and thats enough. What comes to "power purifier" too it is not needed is Finland, we got highest electric network standards in the world. But thanx anyway..

A hub chip with a precision clock and lowest noise voltage regulators is far from tampering with the code instead providing the highest signal integrity to the reciever, decreasing phy noise from error correction and providing excellent timing and low noise operation for the usb to i2s conversion.

Common/Traverse mode noise are present despite how clean you might perceive the power to be. The transformers have the added benefit of filterless surge production. It's fine if you're not interested just make sure your beliefs line up with the science ;]

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #1,986 of 2,104
The isolator for the Amanero board is on the i2s side, so the usb to i2s conversion is still susceptible to all that noise, so having high speed usb galvanic isolation before the receiver is still beneficial. Also if you have the i2s isolator on the Amanero board then it's USB powered, even nore reason to drop power from the source and inject clean power.

A hub chip with a precision clock and lowest noise voltage regulators is far from tampering with the code instead providing the highest signal integrity to the reciever, decreasing phy noise from error correction and providing excellent timing and low noise operation for the usb to i2s conversion.

Common/Traverse mode noise are present despite how clean you might perceive the power to be. The transformers have the added benefit of filterless surge production. It's fine if you're not interested just make sure your beliefs line up with the science ;]

What would a USB isolator or ISO Regen do that a well-shielded cable and power conditioner wouldn't already do? Like @Terozzzz I am hesitant to buy something to fix a problem that I don't have/cannot perceive.

Also, isn't common mode noise eliminated by balanced output?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #1,987 of 2,104
My power source is clean as F. No noise at all, not even if i turn the volume to max, no hiss, no nothing. This is something that i dont get, i have heard noise and hiss in the 1980 with crap radios but now days i cant hear. I think that it depends country you live in and in what state the power lines are.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #1,988 of 2,104
What would a USB isolator or ISO Regen do that a well-shielded cable and power conditioner wouldn't already do? Like @Terozzzz I am hesitant to buy something to fix a problem that I don't have/cannot perceive.

Also, isn't common mode noise eliminated by balanced output?

So, a cable by it's definition degrades signal quality. The hub chip, regenerates signal quality, you see this often in active usb cables and usb hubs, the iso regen is just a balls to the wall audiophile hub chip. The point being to reduce phy noise generated by error correction, and not lose any data to timing or error correction, the latter of course being less noticeable but still contributing to better imaging and staging performance. USB and digital power cables are actually more of a cause of emi/rfi to other cables due to the large voltage swing of a digital signal. Using galvanic isolation before the receiver isolates not the power line, but the data and ground lines, preventing most noise from the computer from interacting with the receiver.

The Audio-GD equipment by itself sounds just fine, I'm just sharing the very positive benefits these 2 methods of conditioning have had for me. I understand the hesistancy and I'm not so much telling you to buy these things, so much as informing you of an option. I think the material I'm throwing at it is pretty demanding, real time hrtf binaural convolution based on measured room impulse response, playing blistering fast distorted death metal, and it makes differences in components in the digital upstream very noticeable. For instance in testing power supplies for the iso regen, the supplied smps was fatiguing and almost grating after a few minutes, whereas a low noise ifi ipower, while also being a smps, could be listened to for hours without any fatigue.

My power source is clean as F. No noise at all, not even if i turn the volume to max, no hiss, no nothing. This is something that i dont get, i have heard noise and hiss in the 1980 with **** radios but now days i cant hear. I think that it depends country you live in and in what state the power lines are.

Signal to noise ratio of modern audio equipment is very good, so often no, turning the volume to max with no audio playing will still sound quiet. However, common mode noise leaks right through the line receiver in analog circuits. It will be noticeable in the analog outputs being able to completely render the incoming audio stream, i.e. better imaging and staging, microdetail, etc. A balanced line receiver can reduce common mode noise by 20-30db, however, the isolation transformers reduce it by 130-150db, as well as 50-70db of traverse mode noise.

Here's some discussions on them.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/top...ansformers-for-affordably-clean-power.857448/
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ed-from-quotlps-1-troubleshootingquot-thread/

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #1,989 of 2,104
Feb 11, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,990 of 2,104
OMG, Audio-GD NFB 28.28 is here.

Ok, this thing is AMAZING. My Aune x1s is totally crap, it has nothing on Audio-GD. The sound before was like iw been listening trough muted plastic bubble with Aune.
Soundstage is now bigger but the clarity and resolve is far out of this planet :D . You can hear things iw ever heard before in songs, A LOT more.
Best 1000$ i spend ever.
My Audeze LCD 2C is now close to endgame headphones.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #1,991 of 2,104

Ok, this thing is AMAZING. My Aune x1s is totally crap, it has nothing on Audio-GD. The sound before was like iw been listening trough muted plastic bubble with Aune.
Soundstage is now bigger but the clarity and resolve is far out of this planet :D . You can hear things iw ever heard before in songs, A LOT more.
Best 1000$ i spend ever.

Welcome aboard! You have some glorious listening ahead.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #1,992 of 2,104
Welcome aboard! You have some glorious listening ahead.
Sure do, im like kid in a candy store :D Everything just sounds a lot better.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #1,993 of 2,104

Best 1000$ i spend ever.

Haven't had a chance to try the lcd2c's on these but the nfb-28 has made my hd800's and aeon flow opens endgames

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #1,995 of 2,104

Users who are viewing this thread

Back