Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Apr 25, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #796 of 1,577

Quote:
Quote:
I got my tracking number sent to me overnight. It's on its way

Congratulations! Now let us know if you consider your patience to be amply rewarded.
L3000.gif

You like eggroll or flied lice with NFB-3? (Sorry, folks; it's a PM-based joke...)

I went to a chinese restaurant last weekend and they reminded me of our pms as well :D

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #797 of 1,577
Bearing in mind Audio GD's enthusiasm for bringing new models to market, do you think it will be too long before they come up with a replacement DAC in the NFB's price bracket?   The NFB's have been around quite a while now in Audio GD terms
popcorn.gif

I am relatively new to Head-Fi and digital audio (although I have a long background in high-end analog), but I have a hard time imagining how Kingwa could best the NFB-3 for a sound/value combination at $300, plus shipping, and of course, waiting. Just the component parts cost of the dual Wolfson 8741 D/A chips with six regulated power supply stages and the DIR9001 (or WM8805) receiver would put most other manufacturers well past the $500 price point that the NFB-2 fetches.

Given the incredibly high demand (and irregular supply so far) of the NFB-2/3 series, I can't imagine that Kingwa would be eager to eclipse it with something else so soon. Just IMHO, of course.

Other than the assembly/shipping delays and one order that got damaged in transit, I haven't read anything but raves about the NFB-2/3 sound quality.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #798 of 1,577

Quote:
Bearing in mind Audio GD's enthusiasm for bringing new models to market, do you think it will be too long before they come up with a replacement DAC in the NFB's price bracket?   The NFB's have been around quite a while now in Audio GD terms
popcorn.gif

The questions I would ask is will the next model be a substantial step forward or just an incremental upgrade, and where do I stand in the race for the latest and greatest? In the mean time new and improved models *do not downgrade* the sound quality of the models they replace. :)

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #799 of 1,577
I have never tried the DAC-19 but have heard the NFB-2/3 is slightly better than it. I'm sure Kingwa will be able to improve even more on his designs eventually, for now I am quite happy with my NFB-2 though and will be for quite a long time hopefully.

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #800 of 1,577
I just received my NFB-3.  But I cannot attach the ACSS.  As you can see from the picture, the C-2.1 (above) has the socket out so that it can receive the ACSS cable but the NFB-3 (below) is missing the socket to receive the ACSS cable.
Is this a defect or am I missing something?   Again, King-Wa help!!!

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #802 of 1,577
Huh! I'm not at home, so I had to check my own online photo of my NFB-3's back panel to compare it to yours:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512856/audio-gd-nfb-2-nfb-3-delivery-impression-thread/600#post_7353320

I can't say conclusively given photo resolution, but it looks like your ACSS sockets aren't in the housings. Weird. I suspect Kingwa might want you to open the case and send him a photograph of the internal wiring before considering whether you want to return the entire unit. Hard to believe that could pass a pre-shipping inspection...

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #804 of 1,577
The NFB3 in the photo, it was applied the new ACSS sockets.
These new sockets are our custom order, gold plate, better quality, and will use in our future products.  We have updating the web page .
Every customers if buy the gear with the ACSS cables , our mates will ask the which sockets you want to use.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #805 of 1,577
The NFB3 in the photo, it was applied the new ACSS sockets.
These new sockets are our custom order, gold plate, better quality, and will use in our future products.  We have updating the web page .
Every customers if buy the gear with the ACSS cables , our mates will ask the which sockets you want to use.

Thank you for your participation in this thread, Kingwa. If I can ever save up the money, I'll be getting a C-2.1 someday myself, and will make sure to get the correct ACSS cables for the sockets on my NFB-3 and the newer C-2.1.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #806 of 1,577
Thank you King Wa, but Audio GD did not send the right cable than.  The ACSS cable Audio GD sent only works for my C-2.1 but not NFB-3.  So does that mean you will send me another ACSS cable?
And will the new cable be compatible with the C-2.1 you sent?  Or will you send adaptors or a new set of cables that will fit the C-2.1 that you sent and the NFB-3?  I'm still confused what I can do?

Edit: Did Edwin send me a C-2 and not the new C-2.1 with old pair of ACSS cables? 

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #808 of 1,577
I have read the whole thread (well almost) and I haven't seen enough comparison or people actual EXPERIENCE.

1-Who tried both nfsb 2 and 3?

2-How do they compare and is it worth the 150$ upgrade for a better psu or not?? I've only heard supposition in this thread. Yes a good psu implementation is important, but no one seem to have tried both to actual comment on their experience!

3- Well how good is the DAC from long time audiophile, it's all "my first dac" people who said their opinion?

Not enough reviews as well! too much complainnig
tongue_smile.gif

dont mind the wait if the DAC is great!

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #809 of 1,577
Just my two cents

1. Well...Audio-GD sells directly from China, and don't attend shows/meets here, so it's hard to imagine who would have tried both. Buying one takes couple months. Imagine you will have to buy two? :) i guess you can order both at the same time, but who would? :) Again, Kingwa has said before NFB-3 offers the best bang for the buck.

3. after all NFB-2/3 is an entry level DAC (a very good one) and targets entry level users, long time audiophile have probably passed this level and demands something much more. For what it worth, you can read:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/177-audio-gd-nfb-2-dac-19-series

again, just my two cents. :)

I have read the whole thread (well almost) and I haven't seen enough comparison or people actual EXPERIENCE.

2-How do they compare and is it worth the 150$ upgrade for a better psu or not?? I've only heard supposition in this thread. Yes a good psu implementation is important, but no one seem to have tried both to actual comment on their experience!

3- Well how good is the DAC from long time audiophile, it's all "my first dac" people who said their opinion?

tongue_smile.gif

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #810 of 1,577
Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

Thanks!

I think Kingwa counts as a seasoned audiophile (and is probably the only person to hear both), and his email to me said the 2 offers a "slightly blacker background and a bit more extension at the bands" than the 3.  It's up to you to decide whether those two factors are worth an extra $150 or not.  One more thing - the 3 probably has a completely black background as it is (based on my experience with the FUN and NFB-12).  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back