Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Oct 14, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #76 of 1,577
I wonder how the NFB-2/3 compare with the Meier Audio STAGEDAC, which uses WM8741s as well.

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #77 of 1,577

Quote:
I wonder how the NFB-2/3 compare with the Meier Audio STAGEDAC, which uses WM8741s as well.

I doubt anyone has compared the two and if they claim to would you trust an internet post from a random stransger.
You have to ask yourself if you like the sound of heavy NFB and opamps (with hundreds of microscopic transistors in the signal path) or  feedback free discrete with just a few transistors.

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #78 of 1,577

Quote:
Did some USB vs. Coaxial listening again tonight. The hum returns while connected through USB although the volume of the hum is much lower than that of the first time when I hooked up the DAC with my laptop. Since my speakers (Focal Chorus 714V) have a sensitivity of 91dB, they're quite revealing. On the other hand, the coaxial input is dead quiet. The USB implementation in NFB-3 (or Tenor chip in general) is a disappointment; I guess it's inferior to asynchronous applications.

Great to see different impressions/characteristics.  Funny you should bring up hum or noise.  We all have our pet peeves and my biggest in reference to gear is noise/hum.  It is unacceptable in my book.  We spend $ on gear and IMO noise is not part of the package.  The first thing I do when I receive any piece of gear, is plug it in, pause a song and crank the volume to max, using all available inputs.  I use either my Denons or a Grado, if it's not a black backround, then we have a problem.  I also try a SS amp, tube and tube hybrid amp, when I test DACs. 

I posted a couple of posts back in reference to converters and why I decided to give them a shot a while back.  A couple of my DACs when connected to tube amps via usb would give me hum.  The converters solved the problem.  It would only happen via usb.  If I used optical it was dead silent.

The NFB-3 is dead quiet on my end with any input with the volume maxxed and no music playing.  Since I have been comparing the DAC-19 and NFB-3, my final backround noise test is when I connect them to my WA2.  Both, while getting some Woo Audio love are dead quiet as well.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #79 of 1,577
Kingwa suggested the hum is due to the ground loop problem and it seemed it's the power supply to my laptop (Using the battery eliminates the noise). However, the plug of the PSU is three prong; if I use a three to two prong adapter, it may fry the laptop's battery.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #81 of 1,577

Quote:
Kingwa suggested the hum is due to the ground loop problem and it seemed it's the power supply to my laptop (Using the battery eliminates the noise). However, the plug of the PSU is three prong; if I use a three to two prong adapter, it may fry the laptop's battery.

Why? Does it say that in the instructions?  I've never heard such a thing before. Notebooks (they aren't called laptops now due to the heat they put out causing burns) are designed to be used internationally, where many countries, for the most part, only have 2-prong sockets. 
smile.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #82 of 1,577

Quote:
Why? Does it say that in the instructions?  I've never heard such a thing before. Notebooks (they aren't called laptops now due to the heat they put out causing burns) are designed to be used internationally, where many countries, for the most part, only have 2-prong sockets. 
smile.gif

I read somewhere on the Net that battery could be in danger if the plug is not grounded. The recent notebooks I bought all come with a three prong plug (a pain for interntional traveling). There must be a reason for doing so.

Interestingly, my USB to SPDIF converter (a Creative external sound card) got rid of the noise.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #83 of 1,577

Quote:
I read somewhere on the Net 

Exactly. I'm 100% sure it's nonsense, otherwise most notebooks would be unusable in the USA, Canada, Japan, China, etc.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #84 of 1,577

My Sony VAIO has a 2 prong plug and hasn't blown up yet!

In other news I think I am going to order the NFB-3. Do you all think it'll be a real upgrade over my Zero DAC?
Quote:
I read somewhere on the Net that battery could be in danger if the plug is not grounded. The recent notebooks I bought all come with a three prong plug (a pain for interntional traveling). There must be a reason for doing so.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #85 of 1,577

Quote:
My Sony VAIO has a 2 prong plug and hasn't blown up yet!

In other news I think I am going to order the NFB-3. Do you all think it'll be a real upgrade over my Zero DAC?

Yes, definitely!  I use to own a Zero and then picked up my current dac, the 19DSP and the difference is huge.  Audio GD dacs are really incredible for the money.  In the future I plan on possibly getting the NFB-7.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back