Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Oct 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #46 of 1,577
Many thanks for the update Heatfan12. And also the pictures help a lot. Did you consider to upgrade your power cables? Do you think NFB-2 is worth the extra $150?

My NFB-3 is underway to my home ....

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #47 of 1,577

Quote:
Many thanks for the update Heatfan12. And also the pictures help a lot. Did you consider to upgrade your power cables? Do you think NFB-2 is worth the extra $150?

My NFB-3 is underway to my home ....

Hi tubesound,
Thanks and congrats on your purchase. 
beerchug.gif

In reference to the power cables, I have several upgraded ones that I use, however for something like this and when I purchase new gear, I like going "vanilla" to keep everything on an even keel.  If it sounds good stock, then it can only get better with a couple of tweaks.

About the NFB-2, I can't advise, since I have never listened to it.  My guess would be, one or the other, then take the next step into the NFB-1 or 7 or Ref series if curiosity calls.  I believe the NFB-2 will be around for a while, it was the NFB-3 that was a limited run.  Hence, my curiosity and its obsoleteness...lol

Cheers  

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #48 of 1,577
Would love to know how these compare to each other more and versus DAC19.  Do take your time, though, no rush. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #49 of 1,577
Because his website only described the physical difference between NFB-2 and NFB-3, I asked Kingwa about the sound difference between the two. But he declined to answer the question. Since my amp is not high end at all, I bought the cheaper one. I will have the chance to compare NFB-3 with a modded Muse Model 2 DAC (an oldie but a goodie) and a Softone Model 2 tube DAC (made by a boutique Janpanese company). Softone has beaten Muse in my system, not by a large margin though.

Here is an internal view of the Softone tube DAC:

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #50 of 1,577
From the reading I have done on other threads and general information about power supply design, there should be very little difference between the NFB-2 and the NFB-3.  The digital portions of the DAC don't require as much work on the power supply as the analog sections do.  The analog section is much more dependent on power supply design, so given the analog section still has the same power supply design as the NFB-2 I would imagine that the differences are extremely minimal.

I would suggest that the NFB-2 would outperform the NFB-3 in a more meaningful way if your AC power was dirty though, as the power supply might make a noticeable difference at that point.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #51 of 1,577
Let me know which one you find more musical heatfan. Btw that stack of yours on the desk makes me wet every time I see it, looks really nice.

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #52 of 1,577

Quote:
Let me know which one you find more musical heatfan. Btw that stack of yours on the desk makes me wet every time I see it, looks really nice.

LOL...Thanks very much .Sup.......I'm making room for it on my desk upstairs.  That's the dining room table.  Easier for me to test gear out.  Can't push my luck though...After a couple of days on the dining room, wifey gives me these looks that do not need words...lol.....

Quote:
Would love to know how these compare to each other more and versus DAC19.  Do take your time, though, no rush. 
beerchug.gif

Will do Max....
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Because his website only described the physical difference between NFB-2 and NFB-3, I asked Kingwa about the sound difference between the two. But he declined to answer the question. Since my amp is not high end at all, I bought the cheaper one. I will have the chance to compare NFB-3 with a modded Muse Model 2 DAC (an oldie but a goodie) and a Softone Model 2 tube DAC (made by a boutique Janpanese company). Softone has beaten Muse in my system, not by a large margin though.

Here is an internal view of the Softone tube DAC:

<snip pic>

Nice tubesound.  Would love to hear your impressions between the two.

Quote:
From the reading I have done on other threads and general information about power supply design, there should be very little difference between the NFB-2 and the NFB-3.  The digital portions of the DAC don't require as much work on the power supply as the analog sections do.  The analog section is much more dependent on power supply design, so given the analog section still has the same power supply design as the NFB-2 I would imagine that the differences are extremely minimal.

I would suggest that the NFB-2 would outperform the NFB-3 in a more meaningful way if your AC power was dirty though, as the power supply might make a noticeable difference at that point.

Great info Epoch....

Well, postman left me a little package today- DI (Digital Interface)

Just plugged it to the DAC-19.  Very pleased with the sound, however WASAPI (Foobar) is a bit buggy.  KS works great.  I posted in the DI thread to see if others have experienced the same.  No worries at all and not a detractor one bit.  I usually use KS even in Vista.  Too early for any thoughts, but it sounds darn good.  My DAC-19 does not have the TE7022, hence me first plugging it in to her......

Couple of pics--- A little Police action on a beautiful sunny and hot So. Fla day.....Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #53 of 1,577
Heatfan12: Did you open up your NFB-3? It might be a NFB-2 instead
wink_face.gif
. Could you compare USB -> NFB-3 vs. USB -> DI -> SPDIF -> NFB-3 as well? I didn't buy a DI and was hoping Tenor USB receiver would work just as good as SPDIF.

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #54 of 1,577

Quote:
Heatfan12: Did you open up your NFB-3? It might be a NFB-2 instead
wink_face.gif
. Could you compare USB -> NFB-3 vs. USB -> DI -> SPDIF -> NFB-3 as well? I didn't buy a DI and was hoping Tenor USB receiver would work just as good as SPDIF.

LOL....No, I have not opened her up, don't want to press my luck....I will definitely try various setups with the DI.  In all honesty, I did not purchase the DI to pair with either A-GD dac.  Well, maybe the DAC-19 eventually for the 24/96.  I ordered the NFB-3 and after a couple of days decided to order the DI and maybe condense the shipping a bit.  However, they shipped separately and I ended paying for shipping individually anyway.  Kingwa helps out with shipping if you order and they ship together, however, I believe my NFB-3 was ready before the DI.

EDIT: Forgot to add tubesound---- All three inputs of the NFB-3 are slammin'...no worries there at all...
beerchug.gif
....   I have been using usb to spdif converters for a while.  I currently own several of them and own three DACs and an E-MU 0404USB that have digital out, that I have also tested in this fashion.  Curiosity gets the best of me and I think they do have a purpose with various applications.  Since Kingwa pumps out great products, I decided to give the DI a shot.

Look at this thread I started in June 2009....http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/428220/usb-to-spdif-converters-not-too-much-love

I believe I only had two of them at that time.....lol......
beerchug.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #55 of 1,577
Received my NFB-3 tonight. The problem first: DAC generates a little bit hum; maybe the earth issue? The coaxial input is quite better than the USB input - more air. My USB to SPDIF converter is simply a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit external sound card. Audio gd's DI may improve the sound even further? And I feel NFB-3 is slightly better than the Softone tube DAC which is priced more than twice of NFB-3. Will do some serious listening this weekend.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #56 of 1,577

Quote:
Received my NFB-3 tonight. The problem first: DAC generates a little bit hum; maybe the earth issue? The coaxial input is quite better than the USB input - more air. My USB to SPDIF converter is simply a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit external sound card. Audio gd's DI may improve the sound even further? And I feel NFB-3 is slightly better than the Softone tube DAC which is priced more than twice of NFB-3. Will do some serious listening this weekend.

Congrats tubesound,

Sorry, I don't understand the earth issue.  What amp do you have it plugged into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back