Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Sep 29, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #31 of 1,577
Ordered one nfb-3 yesterday
wink_face.gif
. Soon i'll join the group, but i bet i'll have to wait at least 1 more month before my audeze lcd-2 arrive
confused_face.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #32 of 1,577

Quote:
Ordered one nfb-3 yesterday
wink_face.gif
. Soon i'll join the group, but i bet i'll have to wait at least 1 more month before my audeze lcd-2 arrive
confused_face.gif

Congrats Cya|\|.....I believe you will really enjoy it....

Cheers
beerchug.gif

I just returned from work and am getting ready to bring some gear downstairs for a little listening impressions with the NFB-3, DAC-19DF and C-2....Very long day, so first I need a nice cold pint of Guinness.....lol......Good times

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #33 of 1,577

Quote:

I just returned from work and am getting ready to bring some gear downstairs for a little listening impressions with the NFB-3, DAC-19DF and C-2....Very long day, so first I need a nice cold pint of Guinness.....lol......Good times

Sounds great, congrats on receiving the NFB-3! Let us know what you think
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #35 of 1,577

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please be sure to give us sober impressions too so we can have something real to go on.
wink.gif

Quote:
Sounds great, congrats on receiving the NFB-3! Let us know what you think
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL....Thanks...

Sober of course.....They do taste good though....
beerchug.gif

On another note

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM......

I guess I'll post it here and hopefully get some quick answers...

I placed a nice order with Kingwa back in March, I believe (C-2, DAC-19, FUN (A), all 3 HDAMs for FUN and all 3 HDAMs (6 really L & R) for C-2 etc. etc...It was all shipped together and I have been enjoying the gear very much.  I set it up in my stand and that was it.  Have not moved it or opened it up.  Only the FUN to throw in the Moon OPA.

When I was setting up downstairs a little while ago, I noticed something odd through the vents of the DAC-19DF.  I saw some red....Seeing red is consistent with DAC-19DSP and never noticed it before, since I have not opened her up.  Well, I took her cover off and checked the website on pics for 19DF & DSP and low and behold mine looks just like the DSP version.

Can someone confirm if this is the 19DF or DSP?  Back then I was having a hard time deciding between the two, but I am almost positive I ordered the DF.  Looking for my PP emails, but I believe they are on another PC.

Kingwa has been great through all my transactions and if I was shipped the DSP version and I payed for DF, I will definitely contact him and send him the difference.

Pics of my DAC-19-

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #36 of 1,577
You have an Altera Cyclone chip, which is the DSP.  That makes up the DSP portion of the DSP, you also appear to have the upgraded resistors and WIMA caps everywhere, which makes it the DSP version.  Aside from having a newer version of the DSP inside mine, it looks pretty much identical.  Below is the DAC-19 DF, which as you can see doesn't have all of those red WIMA caps, and the riser board where you have the DSP is much more sparse on the DF version.

Congrats, you have been using a nicer DAC than you thought you had.  Now you can play with DSP settings too, I have tried the -50db filter setting and like it more than the stock setting.  Also, I now get a better idea of what I skipped out on when I went for the DAC-19 DSP instead of the NFB-3 when I placed my order a couple weeks ago.

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #37 of 1,577

Quote:

Congrats, you have been using a nicer DAC than you thought you had.  Now you can play with DSP settings too, I have tried the -50db filter setting and like it more than the stock setting.  Also, I now get a better idea of what I skipped out on when I went for the DAC-19 DSP instead of the NFB-3 when I placed my order a couple weeks ago.

How many different kinds of settings do you get with the DAC-19 DSP?

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #39 of 1,577

Quote:
Yes, that is the DSP version.

Quote:
You have an Altera Cyclone chip, which is the DSP.  That makes up the DSP portion of the DSP, you also appear to have the upgraded resistors and WIMA caps everywhere, which makes it the DSP version.  Aside from having a newer version of the DSP inside mine, it looks pretty much identical.  Below is the DAC-19 DF, which as you can see doesn't have all of those red WIMA caps, and the riser board where you have the DSP is much more sparse on the DF version.

Thanks very much guys.  Wow, all these months and I thought I had a DF.  I had the C-2 and DAC-19 stacked and never thought about it.

beerchug.gif

Well, here is the workstation in full force.  A lot of A-GD love and a little bit of tube goodness.  Listening to 3 headphones and switching around (HD650, RS1i, PRO900).

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #40 of 1,577
Well, you thought that you had the DF1704 version, so you had no reason to open it up and play with settings inside since there weren't supposed to be any.  Now you have more to play with.
That is a nice looking stack of equipment too, I am very much looking towards hearing your impressions with that gear.

Also, I keep seeing all of these posts with people having pink Sharkwire ACSS interconnects.  It keeps making me wonder what mine are since they aren't pink.  I think I will email Kingwa and ask what the difference is.

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #41 of 1,577

Quote:
Well, you thought that you had the DF1704 version, so you had no reason to open it up and play with settings inside since there weren't supposed to be any.  Now you have more to play with.
That is a nice looking stack of equipment too, I am very much looking towards hearing your impressions with that gear.

Also, I keep seeing all of these posts with people having pink Sharkwire ACSS interconnects.  It keeps making me wonder what mine are since they aren't pink.  I think I will email Kingwa and ask what the difference is.

Thanks Epoch,

I remember when I was burnin' everything in, I had the FUN on the dining room table and the C-2 and DAC-19 stacked upstairs.  Since then they have not moved til now.  The funny thing, a couple of hours prior I was on the A-GD site browsing and that's when I noticed the red caps.  When I brought the gear down, I did a double take and had to open her up...lol

In reference to the ACSS ICs, I had him make the ones pictured (1ft.).  The stock ones are 3ft. and a bit long if you are going to stack.  I also have the 3ft. ones and they are also pink.

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #42 of 1,577
Epoch, if it is not sheathed in techflex you can read the cable for the name. I think you either have techflex, or they temporarily ran out of the sharkwire and used canare L-5CFB, or they decided to try out another cable.

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #43 of 1,577

Quote:
Epoch, if it is not sheathed in techflex you can read the cable for the name. I think you either have techflex, or they temporarily ran out of the sharkwire and used canare L-5CFB, or they decided to try out another cable.

The Cables were  upgraded.
Inside still Shark cables.
But fit in a black netting for reduce the librate effect of the signal .

Oct 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #45 of 1,577

Quote:
Very informative thread Heatfan. Funny about your' unintended upgrade. haha

Hi John...LOL...Thanks....And you know DT was pumping....

[size=medium]Well, spent most of yesterday afternoon and last night with the NFB-3.  Mainly usb input (TE7022).  Of course first thing I played were 24/96 files.  All played beautifully with no problems, dropouts or delays after about eight hours non-stop and it was in the Foobar Output list once I plugged it in.  All my music is upstairs on a NAS and I’m tapping wireless down here.  No messing with buffer settings or any of that.  Plug it in and rock and roll.[/size]
[size=medium]Setup I used: Laptop (Vista)à[/size]Foobar (KS)àNFB-3àC-2 (RCA & ACSS)… & NFB-3 àMapletree Ear+HD (RCA 12B4As & Sylvania 7025)àHD650, PRO 900s, RS1iàAll files FLAC.

[size=medium]Threw in a array of different music- Rock (all kinds), House, Trance, Hip-Hop and I also have a couple of “audiophile voices” and some test CDs as well that have been ripped.  All CDs have been ripped with EAC (cues, logs, crc etc.).  Included also were various 24/96 albums, DVD-A rips and I even listened to some DTS CD rips (5.1 to stereo).[/size]

[size=medium]The beauty of having all your music in one place.  Priceless…lol[/size]

[size=medium][/size]

[size=medium]If you have read the various A-GD threads there is always the word “neutral” mentioned in one way, shape or form.  When I first hear that word, the first thing that comes to mind is- flat, dull, boring, sterile.  After listening to some A-GD gear for a little while, that is definitely not the case.  The gear lets the music flow as it was intended, with nothing to impede it.  The NFB-3 does its part in this aspect as well.  Crisp, clear music with punch. [/size]
[size=medium]It is however, a double-edged sword.  Your source material must be on par.  Feed it crappy source material and you will get a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death, just in case), saying “The NFB-3 has encountered an unrecoverable error due to sudden change in quality input”…...For real….lol…Feed it quality and you will be rewarded……I pulled some mp3s and ogg (192-256) files from my Nano, and it was very evident.[/size]

[size=medium]I wanted to try three very different phones as well as SS and tube to see how it sounds.  The biggest surprise was the Grados.  I figured it would be a little cold with SS, given the DAC’s “neutral” disposition.  Wrong….My misconception turned out to be a very tonal and clear presentation.  The highs were not overbearing at all.  I even listened to some Deadmau5 with them.  NICE…..Not as good as the PRO900s of course when that bass hits and knocks your socks off, but very enjoyable nevertheless…[/size]

[size=medium]Paired with the Mapletree, the NFB-3 was rocking.  I like the 7025 tube a little better than the 5751 or 12AX7.  The dynamics and midrange are sick (in a good way) with this tube.  At the same time, it has a bit more warmth than the other two families.  Best of both worlds….Excellent match with the NFB-3.  Again, music was flowing and everything was crystal clear.  The Mapletree complimented it very well.  It did not slow down and kept pumpin’.[/size]

[size=11pt]I have not compared the NFB-3 to the DAC-19DSP as of yet, head to head.  Last night was the NFB-3’s turn.  Today the DAC-19DSP is rockin’ atm.  [/size]

[size=11pt]Will keep you posted....
beerchug.gif
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back