Audio-GD NFB-12
Jan 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #2,177 of 2,278
Thanks! I opened it up and the jumpers were indeed in the wrong location.

EDIT: Never mind, it says "NFB-12" on the board, but there are no filters, weird.
EDIT2: Searched this thread and found out that my NFB-12 is an early model with no filter settings.
Does anyone know which setting it's equivalent to?
EDIT3: Fixed output is still being affected by the volume pot!

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #2,178 of 2,278
Vide Edit 3
My first quess is the jumper might be broken / not working. Along with the unit you should have bag with spare jumpers, try to use another one and double check if its placed securely and in correct position.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #2,179 of 2,278
Quote:
Vide Edit 3
My first quess is the jumper might be broken / not working. Along with the unit you should have bag with spare jumpers, try to use another one and double check if its placed securely and in correct position.

Unfortunately, I bought it off another person, and they did not include the replacement jumpers.
Would there be a difference in sound quality if I use variable as DAC out if I connect it to another amp? Also, are there replacement jumpers available online?

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #2,180 of 2,278
From sound quality point of view, if you are using integrated amplifier fixed signal from DAC should be deliver. If you are using power amp, you could use NFB-12 as pre-am in this case fixed is not required. Concerning jumpers from mu experienced this jumpers are not different than used in pc mainboards (for i.e. clear cmos), so you coud try pc shops, pc repair etc. Alternatively you could PM Kingwa and ask them about availablility of jumpers.

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #2,181 of 2,278
Yeah those jumpers are super common. I got a jar filled with them. Anyone who spent some time building computers should have a stack of them. A computer repair shop should have buckets of them. Let's just say paying for such an item is just silly.

If you're in Canada, just PM me your address and I'll post you some.

Though you should verify that the jumper really is the problem. If you're confident in the steadiness of your hands, you could try shorting the pin together with a metal object while the unit is powered. I'm not responsible if you short something else, though. :wink:

BTW the FIXED volume is the same as when the pot is in the middle. So if you wanna test it, don't leave the pot in the middle, but more like 1/4 volume.

Though you don't even have to test the volume out. If you place the Output switch to FIXED and short the pins bellow the jumper in this picture, you should hear a relay click. It should also click if you insert a working jumper while it's in this state.

If nothing clicks, then you indeed have a problem.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2,182 of 2,278
So back to my question earlier. When I flip the switch to "DAC," sound should stop coming out of the headphone jack? Because that's not the case. 

Current configuration is Optical > iMac. Nothing else plugged into the NFB12.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2,183 of 2,278
Quote:
So back to my question earlier. When I flip the switch to "DAC," sound should stop coming out of the headphone jack? Because that's not the case. 

Current configuration is Optical > iMac. Nothing else plugged into the NFB12.

Yes, it should. Your unit is clearly defective.

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #2,185 of 2,278
Just write them an email and ask. I've had good experience contacting them trough e-mails.

I think you'll have to cover the shipping cost to send it back oversea. If that's the case, maybe you could shop around locally for someone who could fix it. I have a feeling it's a super simple problem - probably a dead relay, a bad solder or a broken wire. It may be cheaper - and faster - to get it fixed locally.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #2,186 of 2,278
Welp, it turns out I'm just an idiot and had the jumper in the wrong slot 
tongue.gif
. All I had to do was swap the cable and jumper positions and it works correctly now.

Customer service was top notch...exchanged several e-mails with Kingwa and he responded within minutes each time. Glad I got that sorted.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,187 of 2,278
For those of you that had to return equipment to audio-gd, what address did you ship to? I've had my NFB-12 and T1 sitting in a box unable to use either for a few months now and I want to get around to shipping it, but the user pays shipping both ways and the mess of a shipping address Audio-gd has provided me with is this:

"No.1502 Room 16 building Yu-jing Garden Jin-Bi new building Leliu Town Shunde District Foshan City Guangdong province China"

I really don't know what to write on the box before I send it, because if I just write that down I'm sure it will just get returned to me and I'll lose the $40 or whatever it costs to ship it back to them.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #2,188 of 2,278
Is this thread also valid for the nfb-15.32?
I was wondering if it is possible to use the EQ with the usb connection too. I'm not talking about a player EQ, but an overall system EQ. I use my pc as transport, so I would like my sound to be constantly equalized, even when watching youtube, or playing videogames.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #2,190 of 2,278
Is it better to use low gain instead of high gain?

Use the lowest gain that still gives adequate volume (including covering very dynamic music). The gain changes the volume - it doesn't change quality.

By going lowest gain setting that still allows normal listening - you then have much finer control of volume. Sometimes using higher gain can take away a lot of the available 'play' you would have had on the pot - so you effectively end up limiting your volume options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back