Audio-GD NFB-12
Apr 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #1,921 of 2,278

Quote:
How did the filters affect the sound?

The 8x min phase apodising enhanced detail, while default 2x brickwall I thought was soft and blended details into more amorphous sound.  I remember someone saying one of the 4x gave warmth as well as sufficient detail (but still not as much as 8x mentioned above), but I never got around to trying that one since I have to unscrew, unplug and reset jumpers.  Just too lazy to go back, but eventually will when I have more time.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #1,922 of 2,278

Quote:
The 8x min phase apodising enhanced detail, while default 2x brickwall I thought was soft and blended details into more amorphous sound.  I remember someone saying one of the 4x gave warmth as well as sufficient detail (but still not as much as 8x mentioned above), but I never got around to trying that one since I have to unscrew, unplug and reset jumpers.  Just too lazy to go back, but eventually will when I have more time.

Yep - that was me.  I agree - the difference between the default and the 8x filters was definitely not subtle

My favourites are the 4x Minimum Phase Soft Knee (nice mix of warmth and detail), and the 8x Minimum Phase Apodising.

At the moment using the 4x - mainly because it does the job nicely for both my 325is and HD600s.  The 8x was almost too detailed with the 325is, and because my NFB-12 has the jumpers (not the external switches), it's a PITA to keep changing depending on the can I wanted to listen to.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #1,923 of 2,278
Quote:

Yep - that was me.  I agree - the difference between the default and the 8x filters was definitely not subtle

My favourites are the 4x Minimum Phase Soft Knee (nice mix of warmth and detail), and the 8x Minimum Phase Apodising.

At the moment using the 4x - mainly because it does the job nicely for both my 325is and HD600s.  The 8x was almost too detailed with the 325is, and because my NFB-12 has the jumpers (not the external switches), it's a PITA to keep changing depending on the can I wanted to listen to.

Agreed on PITA, sure wish the front switch option was available when I ordered mne.

Thanks for reminding me on the 4x you like. I'll try it out. I like all the detail I can get through my loudspeakers, but would trade some detail for warmth through HP out with mt 5LE's and DT880's.

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,924 of 2,278
I'm curious what you guys think the first-run 12's are worth now; I've yet to be disappointed with mine, but I honestly don't know how much these filters change the overall sound. Now that money's tight I'm considering selling mine, but I have no idea what a fair price would be, now there are models with more filter options.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #1,926 of 2,278

Quote:
Well it's still an NFB-12. Is it known what filter the first generation used? What if it's already one of the recommended ones? 

I asked to Audio-gd a few weeks ago.
Their answer was: "The old NFB12 was setting at 2X oversampling, filter 3."
That means  [size=medium][size=x-small]2X oversampling , Linear phase 'brickwall' filter. [/size][/size]

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #1,927 of 2,278
Yes I'm one of those who had bought the first gen NFB-12 without filter changing option. It would be nealy impossible for a guy like me to open the cover and lift the pins to change the filter. It is too tiny when looked on the board.

As for the sound I don't know how subtle or not the filter changes the sound but the description of 2x oversampling matches my experience. The music sort of feels blended. When I use my SFlo2 or Cowon i9 I find better seperation. While I'm not disappointed yet too I would have prefered a better separation the 4x or higher filter is said to be offering.

Though it was a newly launched product at that time it was bought audio-gd should have thought about this potential differences in sound the filters could bring. I don't have any of my music in 192/24 not even much of 96/24. Some of the earlier posts indicate the DAC is setup to expect 192 Khz input. At least with this mind I'm not sure, but audio-gd should have thought about this option.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,928 of 2,278

Quote:
Yes I'm one of those who had bought the first gen NFB-12 without filter changing option. It would be nealy impossible for a guy like me to open the cover and lift the pins to change the filter. It is too tiny when looked on the board.

As for the sound I don't know how subtle or not the filter changes the sound but the description of 2x oversampling matches my experience. The music sort of feels blended. When I use my SFlo2 or Cowon i9 I find better seperation. While I'm not disappointed yet too I would have prefered a better separation the 4x or higher filter is said to be offering.

Though it was a newly launched product at that time it was bought audio-gd should have thought about this potential differences in sound the filters could bring. I don't have any of my music in 192/24 not even much of 96/24. Some of the earlier posts indicate the DAC is setup to expect 192 Khz input. At least with this mind I'm not sure, but audio-gd should have thought about this option.

I wouldn't feel too bad about the filter options.  Out of my nfb 3.1 I do not think I would hold up to an ABX blind test on filter settings, they all sound the same to me, except for an extremely tiny difference that I am willing to believe is psychological.

I have not heard the 12.1, but out of the 3.1 the adjustable filter options seems a little unnecessary.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,929 of 2,278
Don't worry too much about 192KHz sound.

While 96KHz has some empirically proven benefits, in most cases performance at 192KHz is actually lower than at 96Hz.
And note that in both cases the added frequencies have no sonic benefit, since we can't hear those frequencies. The main advantages of higher sample rates lie in lower jitter (debatable) and better noise shaping. This means that there actually is no use in having 24/96 (or 192) music over 24/48 (or 44.1).

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #1,930 of 2,278
Does the NFB 12/12.1 have a Digital Filter setting for changing the sound signature to Neutral and Transparent? Maybe a Digital Filter thats close enough to it.

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #1,932 of 2,278
... I want one! The first couple of pages where a great read! I'm looking forward to getting into the nicer cans like HiFiMan He-500 and I'm excited to be apply to couple them [and others] with this amp :D

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #1,934 of 2,278
Eh, sorry, that is my bad.  I said class A from memory, but I think I mixed it up with the Burson discrete class A (I have both... )

The ACSS circuit is not the same as a classic A or AB design and it's quite late, so my brain isn't quite parsing the full circuit.  If I have some time this week I would like to think through how it's working as I've not looked at an ACSS in detail before.  It's nice the the publishes the schematics.  

On another note, whatever problem I had with bass distortion has resolved itself.  I tried TOSLINK at Kingwa's request and somehow when I went back to the exact same setup that had bass distortion for months, the distortion was gone.  It sounds quite nice now, especially for the $...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #1,935 of 2,278
Dang, the right channel of my NFB-12 seems to be dying, it has gone mute a couple of times and then come back, now it has been silent for a while. Tested with various sources into both coaxial and optical inputs and a couple of headphones. Any ideas? Got it almost a year ago trough Audiophonics.fr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back