Audio-GD NFB-12
Jan 12, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #1,696 of 2,278

Quote:
Hi all, I just brought NFB-12 from someone in local forum. I plug usb with the same setting as mr. Brooco. Here I compare my Fiio E10 that I got earlier to boost my HD555 (modded). It's hard to say I love NFB-12, couse lack in transparent mid-hi frequency and the midrange not realy as good as I expected. I don't understand why Fiio E10 with crap in power supply slightly better sound.
I want to ask, Its worth to upgrade some caps in digital section with sanyo oscon maybe, or change caps in analog section with other better caps? just my curious, sorry with my bad english.   

Are you saying you prefer the sound of the E10 over the NFB-12? 

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #1,697 of 2,278

Quote:
Are you saying you prefer the sound of the E10 over the NFB-12? 

It's hard to say E10 give me more relaxed in bottom mid and high frequency. NFB-12 give more emphasis on cymbal, so it's sound clear but tend to grainy and less extended. 
While I connect E10 to my gainclone setup, I can't access the bass boost feature and volume control, the sound also weaker and less dynamic. I purchase NFB-12 and become the first ultimate source I have had hehehe. Strong bass, dynamic rythm, clear high and deeper soundstage. I thing the weakness NFB-12 are narrow soundstage and lack of high extension. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #1,698 of 2,278
yeah the downside of NFB-12 is narrow soundstage.

Quote:

It's hard to say E10 give me more relaxed in bottom mid and high frequency. NFB-12 give more emphasis on cymbal, so it's sound clear but tend to grainy and less extended. 
While I connect E10 to my gainclone setup, I can't access the bass boost feature and volume control, the sound also weaker and less dynamic. I purchase NFB-12 and become the first ultimate source I have had hehehe. Strong bass, dynamic rythm, clear high and deeper soundstage. I thing the weakness NFB-12 are narrow soundstage and lack of high extension. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #1,699 of 2,278
Don't forget you can change the NFB-12 sound signature by changing the jumpers inside of it to the 9 different Digital Filters. But you can only do it on the NFB -12 if yours are the later models which has the Jumpers. Not the older models of it which doesn't. It was mentioned in this thread  some pages back in case you didn't see it eclipes and palermo. 

I was so close ordering one with that discount in play. Then I end up being short, I know I getting the NFB - 12 next month.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,700 of 2,278
I've actually tried a few already, probably around 5 or 6 filters. The 2 filters that sounded the most pleasing with my speakers were the 8x minimum phase apodiser and the 4x minimum phase soft knee. Both are quite good with clarity and bass wise but couldn't really find a filter that expanded the soundstage enough to be significantly heard. 

Quote:
Don't forget you can change the NFB-12 sound signature by changing the jumpers inside of it to the 9 different Digital Filters. But you can only do it on the NFB -12 if yours are the later models which has the Jumpers. Not the older models of it which doesn't. It was mentioned in this thread  some pages back in case you didn't see it eclipes and palermo. 

I was so close ordering one with that discount in play. Then I end up being short, I know I getting the NFB - 12 next month.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #1,701 of 2,278
Does anyone know specifically which drivers the NFB-12 uses? On windows7. I've had nothing but trouble with it on my desktop lately. It'll randomly stop playing, then not start again till I switch USB ports and the drivers start running again. It also won't work right away when I turn on my desktop, loud white noise in the sound. Which again goes away when I switch USB ports.

Works perfectly fine on my laptop and I used it on another desktop for a few weeks and didn't have a single problem.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,703 of 2,278
Thats weird.. i do get those white noise when i start up the computer but it'll go away in like 3 seconds. I never tried or used the USB on the nfb-12, have it connected via optical and works perfectly on my Windows 7 Ultimate. Try emailing KingWa, sounds like its the unit. Did this ever happen before?

Quote:
Does anyone know specifically which drivers the NFB-12 uses? On windows7. I've had nothing but trouble with it on my desktop lately. It'll randomly stop playing, then not start again till I switch USB ports and the drivers start running again. It also won't work right away when I turn on my desktop, loud white noise in the sound. Which again goes away when I switch USB ports.

Works perfectly fine on my laptop and I used it on another desktop for a few weeks and didn't have a single problem.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,704 of 2,278

Quote:

Obviously means there is something wrong with your desktop if the Windows drivers work fine and the NFB-12 works fine on your laptop and other desktops.  The default windows USB drivers are the same on all computers.  So this likely points to a hardware issue on your desktop.  Something wrong with your USB ports.  

The only other thing I can think of, do a reinstall of Windows.

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,705 of 2,278
Yea, personally I never use USB at all and then I can just skip all the head aches.  Maybe a useless comment but besides netbooks, I've never seen a computer without coax or optical on in - and my computers are usually pretty low-end machines.  Though I had my laptop for 6 months before I found the unadvertised, hidden optical connection on it.

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,706 of 2,278
Try this.  I'm guessing your desktop uses an Intel chipset, pretty much 95% of motherboards that have a socket for Intel CPU do today.  

Download the official desktop chipset drivers from Intel.  

Then right click on the installer.  

Set the compatibility mode to Vista SP2.  

Then press Windows key + R.  

Drag the installer to the run as dialogue.  

After just add -overall.

Run the installer. This will override any Windows or default drivers for your USB controller.  The Chipset is the controller for your USB ports.  That might help.  Once you restart, Windows may reinstall the USB DAC drivers as well.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #1,709 of 2,278
I think the digital filter just give a different sound in term of "flavor music" or frequency balance, not expanding soundstage 
wink.gif

Just question, why NFB-12 does not have onboard upsampler feature, it's hard to implement asrc chip? just my curiosity 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #1,710 of 2,278
I have no idea, maybe it be in the NFB-12 on the next ver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back