Audio-GD NFB-12
Nov 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,531 of 2,278

Quote:
Not to take a sale away from Kingwa, but you can use the RCA outs from the back of your TV receiver (assuming you have that) to a in-line volume control, to your headphones. It's not as good as the NFB12 but it's not bad. I suggest this as the guy who uses a NFB10SE for TV use 
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I thought of it, but then again, sometimes I watch a DVD or a Music channel....therefore, I want a minimum of good sound quality...... This is why I was looking at the NFB12.....or maybe I should go for the NFB-5 ????

Densy

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #1,533 of 2,278

I have a beginner question, I could not find the answer to in this massive thread: how do I know if my NFB-12 is getting a bit perfect stream? I am using Deadbeef on Linux as a player and when I play a 192kHz file over USB to the NFB-12 it plays fine. I know the max samplerate over usb is 96kHz. So what is happening? Is the software downsampling or is this done inside the NFB-12?

I tried playing a dts encoded wav file and it too plays fine. But how do I know if I am actually hearing a dts encoded file and not a downsampled 16bit/44kHz version of that file? Is there any way to know this? 

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #1,534 of 2,278

I have a beginner question, I could not find the answer to in this massive thread: how do I know if my NFB-12 is getting a bit perfect stream? I am using Deadbeef on Linux as a player and when I play a 192kHz file over USB to the NFB-12 it plays fine. I know the max samplerate over usb is 96kHz. So what is happening? Is the software downsampling or is this done inside the NFB-12?

I tried playing a dts encoded wav file and it too plays fine. But how do I know if I am actually hearing a dts encoded file and not a downsampled 16bit/44kHz version of that file? Is there any way to know this? 

I don't think there is any way to know. But if you try to put 192kHz over USB it is most likely down sampled by the OS.

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #1,536 of 2,278
Are there some models of the NFB-12 that don't have adjustable filters? There are no pins anywhere on my 12, mine doesn't have any markings on the switches.

The earlier models didn't have an adjustable filter. Mine doesn't have one either, for example.

When did you buy yours?

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #1,537 of 2,278

Quote:
I don't think there is any way to know. But if you try to put 192kHz over USB it is most likely down sampled by the OS.

It has to be on the OS-side.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 15, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #1,539 of 2,278

Quote:
Thats too bad. So even if playing a 96kHz file over USB it might be it arrives in the NFB-12 as a downsampled 44kHz file? Learning something new every day :)

No - it'll do 24/96 over USB.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #1,540 of 2,278
I found out about the clicks in integer mode, turns out my old comp send out a zero bit at certain intervals due to some power issue or something. need to get a powered usb hub if I want to use integer mode, and here I was blaming the tenor usb chip in the nfb12.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #1,541 of 2,278
Thats too bad. So even if playing a 96kHz file over USB it might be it arrives in the NFB-12 as a downsampled 44kHz file? Learning something new every day :)
No - it'll do 24/96 over USB.

24/96 is the maximum over USB. Anything lower than that will stay the same, anything higher will be downsampled by the OS. That is, it should be downsampled by the OS, if not the signal will be messed up.
Don't worry too much about it. As far as I know there hasn't been any disputable evidence whether or not 96kHz is audibly better than 44.1kHz. The only thing is that with lower sample rates the NFB-12 changes the frequency response a bit on the high treble, this might be audible but it won't be a large difference as it only hits the 1dB mark at about 14kHz; a frequency almost neglected by our perception of sound.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,542 of 2,278

Quote:

Most software will downsample to the highest supported bit-rate, such as 88.2 or 96, not 44.1 of 48 unless you have set it up to do so...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 20, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #1,543 of 2,278
Sheesh, this thing is literally acting as a space heater for my room as I speak. It's not even subtle. I can feel the heat surrounding that part of my room.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #1,544 of 2,278

Quote:
Sheesh, this thing is literally acting as a space heater for my room as I speak. It's not even subtle. I can feel the heat surrounding that part of my room.

Weird.  Mine is 'mildly' warm (as most amps are) - nowhere near what you described though .....

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #1,545 of 2,278
Well it's warm to the touch, not hot or painful or anything. It's just that when it's on for hours in a room, it tends to heat up the environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back