Audio-GD NFB-12
Sep 19, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #1,351 of 2,278
I noticed that the inside of the nfb-12 has different digital filters that can be enabled, and I was just wondering what the effect of these are.  Do they force upsampling in the dac? If my music is nearly all 16/44, we'll these different settings cause the dac to render them as 24/96?

Any clarity on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

No. The upsampling must be done at source, as far as I know.
I think the actual bad frequency response curve is caused by the fact that the NFB-12 tries to do the upsampling, instead of it being done at source.

If you have a soundcard you can easily enable upsampling in most cases. If you're running foobar2000 you can use the standard upsampling DSP.

Hope this helps

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #1,352 of 2,278
The NFB12 have not upsampling, just the oversampling by the WM8741 function.
From the measure by equipment, the digital filter setting at option 2 and 9 have the best measure result , the option 4 and 6 have the worst measure result.
The 9 types rssult had clear different show on equipment. Who know why the WM8741 design these best and worst measure result ? I don't think this is a  joke.
But I don't think all users like the best measure result for listen.
A cheapest PC soundcard already offer the best measure result than some USD5K gears.

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #1,353 of 2,278
Thanks Kingwa

All I can advise on is my own experience with the NFB-12 - and to me, number 7 (8 x oversampling with the minimum phase apodising filter) sounds really good - HD600 / DT880.

Jibbie - try experimenting & see which one you like.  The ability to alter the overall presentation via the filters is a very good bonus!

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #1,354 of 2,278
I am the type of person who would spend hours and hours trying to find the perfect setting instead of just listening and enjoying my music, so there are many ways in which this option is a detriment to me haha.  I'll probably end up leaving it stock (without any caps installed) and pretend I can't change it.  Maybe I'll try all of the 192khz options.  

Regardless, I'm very excited to receive my unit.  Haven't heard any word on a ship date yet, but I'm assuming it'll ship sometime this next week (I hope).

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #1,355 of 2,278
Also, if anyone else wants to share what setting their digital filter is at and why, that'd be awesome.

Thanks.

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #1,356 of 2,278
Reason for the one I listed above was that it seems to be a little brighter and more detailed than the others.  It pairs really well with the HD600. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #1,357 of 2,278
Well i'm a bit stumped, for Gain on the NFB-12 does anyone here actually use it(Putting it on H)? 

I've been using it for the past few days with my HD 650, and after some reading apparently it can destroy the headphones, wreck the coils or something along those Lines.

Is this correct? does it wreck the coils and shorten the life of them?

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #1,358 of 2,278
Okay I just tested the 8X linear phase half band filter for backward and compared to 8X minimum phase apodising filter and the apodising filter is brighter and slightly detailed. But it sounds a bit thin and i've been listening to this filter ever since i got the nfb-12. Just tried the Linear phase half band for backward and its a lot fuller, more body in the sound. Pairs quite well with my Grado Sr325i out of Headphone Out. I have it running as dac and connected to my Little Dot I+ and sounds pretty good, very warm and relaxing. Might keep this setting for a while until I try something else.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #1,359 of 2,278
Well i'm a bit stumped, for Gain on the NFB-12 does anyone here actually use it(Putting it on H)? 

I've been using it for the past few days with my HD 650, and after some reading apparently it can destroy the headphones, wreck the coils or something along those Lines.

Is this correct? does it wreck the coils and shorten the life of them?

I think almost everyone is using it on high. There's general consensus that low takes a lot of the life and PRaT out of the sound and there was speculation high was 0dB and low -12dB. If you haven't listened on high yet, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I haven't heard any reports of damage at high setting - where did you read this? Just take normal precautions.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #1,361 of 2,278
oh my, i've been listening on low gain all this time. 
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:
I think almost everyone is using it on high. There's general consensus that low takes a lot of the life and PRaT out of the sound and there was speculation high was 0dB and low -12dB. If you haven't listened on high yet, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I haven't heard any reports of damage at high setting - where did you read this? Just take normal precautions.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #1,362 of 2,278
Yes the high gain can destroy your headphones if you have a moving coil headphone (as opposed to an orthodynamic) and you have the volume up too high, this can easily be solved by keeping the volume knob at less than 12oclock (approximately, depends on the efficiency of the headphones).

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #1,363 of 2,278
Most high quality headphones should be perfectly find with any volume that a normal healthy human doesn't find deafening, right?

I can certainly imagine blowing out my AD2000s for example. They're almost deafening turned 15% on high gain setting, I can imagine that if you accidentally turned it up all the way bad things would happen.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #1,364 of 2,278

Quote:
Most high quality headphones should be perfectly find with any volume that a normal healthy human doesn't find deafening, right?

I can certainly imagine blowing out my AD2000s for example. They're almost deafening turned 15% on high gain setting, I can imagine that if you accidentally turned it up all the way bad things would happen.

absolutely, you WILL know if it is blowing out the headphones, the volume will be beyond what you can enjoy. My orthos sound like real speakers when the volume is all the way up (DO NOT TRY THIS, my driver type can handle it, most headphones cannot)

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,365 of 2,278
I'm making a purchase soon, I just can't decide between getting this dac or the project sunrise tube amp?  I'm thinking if I start w/ the dac I could find a cheap vintage amp to use for the hp out and a set of bookshelfs.  

I'm really wondering what you guys think is the better starting point dac or amp?

This is for my laptop that limits me to the usb out.  I have many sacd rip .isos at 24/96 24/192 etc. tons of flac 16/44.1 and some 24/96 24/192 etc. Largely classical, also classic rock like led zep, grateful dead concerts, hendrix.  HPs are sony mdr-v6(for now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back