Audio-GD NFB-12
Sep 7, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #1,277 of 2,278
I don't think you can spend $250 and get a good DAC and something that will do justice to the LCD-2's.  There's a whole long thread on amplification for the LCD-2's, which I've heard are power-hungry.  So if you buy this, buy it for the DAC.  With coax/opt/USB and 9-way digital filters, you'll have a lot of versatility on inputs and digital filter tuning.  You can use the HP out in the interim (I agree with zenki14, look at it as a bonus), while you research the best amp choice for the LCD-2's.  As long as you do your homework/research, what you buy later as an amp will be a nice upgrade from the NFB-12 HP outs and you'll have a nice DAC feeding it.

This.

So far I know that one of the cheapest amps and most popular amps for driving the LCD-2 is the Schiit Lyr, at $449.
There might be some other's but expect to shell out at least $400 unless you are some DIY genius.

Running an LCD-2 out of a NFB-12 won't sound bad, but you could make it a lot better.

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #1,278 of 2,278
Guys,

Would like to ask that NFB-12 about how much in usd?

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #1,282 of 2,278
go for it.  I should be getting mine tomorrow.  
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Someone was asking about the alternatives to NFB-12 for a HD650 and i suggested the NFB-5, being able to change op-amps.. 
i'm deciding myself.. but i'm leaning towards the 5 atm.

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #1,284 of 2,278
Guys,

Little Dot MKiii better or NFB-12 better?

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #1,285 of 2,278
Guys,

Little Dot MKiii better or NFB-12 better?

MKIII is just an amp, not a DAC.

NFB-12 by itself is far, far superior than running the MKIII off onboard sound or something like a Xonar DX, from my own experience. NFB-12 + MKIII is indeed better than just the NFB-12, but remove the NFB-12 from the equation and it all falls apart.

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #1,286 of 2,278

Quote:

NFB-12 by itself is far, far superior than running the MKIII off onboard sound or something like a Xonar DX, from my own experience. NFB-12 + MKIII is indeed better than just the NFB-12, but remove the NFB-12 from the equation and it all falls apart.

It took me awhile to tell the difference between the built-in DAC of my SACD player (DVP-NC685V) vs the NFB-12 DAC.  After further listening, I do think the NFB-12 DAC is better.  

BUT. . .if I had to choose between a) coax/optical out of my SACD player into NFB-12 and using the NFB-12 HP out, versus b) using analog out of my SACD player into my Hifiman EF5 amp, I'd choose the SACD/EF5 option easily for SQ.  Granted, it wouldn't be as flexible since I wouldn't have the USB option anymore, but for my case with my DT880/600's, the HP amp made a much bigger difference in SQ than the DAC.  Because I bought NFB-12 new and the EF5 used, both cost me the same (~$250), but it's not a real apples-to-apples cost comparison since the EF5 costs $499 new.

There are no specifics on my SACD DAC, other than "192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter", so it is possible that this DAC is better than an average one.

But if I was on a budget, I'd consider the quality of my existing source and what kind of flexibility I needed before concluding that getting a high quality DAC that happened to come with a HP amp was a better option than getting a high quality HP amp.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #1,287 of 2,278

Quote:

But NFB-12 is made by China, worth? The machine itself will get hot after running in few hours or not?

I am worry it burns after 1 month running..

>.<

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #1,288 of 2,278
But NFB-12 is made by China, worth? The machine itself will get hot after running in few hours or not?

I am worry it burns after 1 month running..

>.<

Littledot amps are made in china as well.

Also, both the MKIII and NFB-12 get pretty toasty under normal use. Often I'll leave them both on for days at a time, and they've run for like half a year like this without any issue.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #1,290 of 2,278

Quote:
The NFB-12 would drive the HD650 properly...

Correct?

Ya, i think so. I read the specification from the website. Impedance for the range of 15 to 600ohm. HD650 only 300. Should be ok. "!';..;'!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back