Audio-GD NFB-12
Aug 21, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #1,216 of 2,278

Quote:
Third.
Though I doubt the differences will be that huge.

Probably not, i personally enjoy mine as is. it would have been nice to have those adjustments though, even if i never used them.

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #1,218 of 2,278
I'm pretty sure kingwa picked the filter he thought worked the best so I''d probably never switch them anyway.

Well, adjusting the filtering reduces what samplerates are usable, if you use 8x oversampling you can't use 192khz or 96khz sampling rates. It's set to 2x oversampling for 192khz support to be available, but alot of people will prefer 8x oversampling which limits you to 48khz.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #1,219 of 2,278
Just got my NFB-12, wow does it sound good. First impression is that I DO prefer the 8X oversampling compared to the stock 2X Brickwall but both do sound pretty good. But prefer the 8X paired up with my tube amp and grados. Burning in at the moment.

what are you guys burning the NFB-12 with? music or pink/white noise???

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #1,220 of 2,278

Quote:
Just got my NFB-12, wow does it sound good. First impression is that I DO prefer the 8X oversampling compared to the stock 2X Brickwall but both do sound pretty good. But prefer the 8X paired up with my tube amp and grados. Burning in at the moment.

what are you guys burning the NFB-12 with? music or pink/white noise???

I'm burning in with a Squeezebox (so music).

Did you just compare the two (2x brickwall vs 8x min apodising)?  Just curious, as those are the only two I compared.

What was your previous source?  As I wrote earlier, in the end, I couldn't tell the difference between my NFB-12 and two other DACs.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #1,221 of 2,278
hey captouch, i actually read your post earlier. that is why i only tried brickwall and the 8x minimum phase filter. i think you couldnt tell a difference is because probably your older dacs are just as good. i was using a Udac2 before, so the dac performance was a big jump... especially with the udac it was rather bright so it was tiring when listening with my sr325i. even though my little dot tube helped abit but it was still too much... the nfb-12 is much more comfortable listening to with my tube amp.. just love it!!

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #1,222 of 2,278
Eclipes, let me know if you try any other filter settings.  I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference with any of the others.  I did notice a difference between the 2x brickwall and the 8x min phase apodising, but just not between the 8x and my other DACs, which still surprises me given the varying age of the DAC's (even if they're all high quality for their time).

Given that I can't tell the diff between DAC's, I really doubt I could tell the difference between two different DAC's using the WM8741, so at least I'm glad I didn't spend more on implementations using higher end PSU's or caps!

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #1,223 of 2,278
I will definitely let you know when I try other filters. Just curious on what you guys use to cool your dacs and amps. Especially my tube amp, it sounds great and all but its pretty warm and hot sometimes. I don't want my tubes to die so soon. Right now, I have my tube amp and NFB-12 side by side, so the area acts like a mini heater which I don't know if its bad or not. Thinking of a Laptop cooler or something to put under but don't really its necessary and effective.

Quote:
Eclipes, let me know if you try any other filter settings.  I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference with any of the others.  I did notice a difference between the 2x brickwall and the 8x min phase apodising, but just not between the 8x and my other DACs, which still surprises me given the varying age of the DAC's (even if they're all high quality for their time).

Given that I can't tell the diff between DAC's, I really doubt I could tell the difference between two different DAC's using the WM8741, so at least I'm glad I didn't spend more on implementations using higher end PSU's or caps!

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #1,224 of 2,278
As long as they get enough ventilation it should be that bad. Hold your hand near the devices and feel if the air it self is hot. If the air is still hot at a 10-15cm distance, only then you would have a problem.
In that case a cheap computer fan would do the trick, I guess.

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #1,225 of 2,278
I will definitely let you know when I try other filters. Just curious on what you guys use to cool your dacs and amps. Especially my tube amp, it sounds great and all but its pretty warm and hot sometimes. I don't want my tubes to die so soon. Right now, I have my tube amp and NFB-12 side by side, so the area acts like a mini heater which I don't know if its bad or not. Thinking of a Laptop cooler or something to put under but don't really its necessary and effective.

Both my tube amp and my nfb-12 get pretty hot, as a rule of thumb I just don't stack them and I leave about an inch of space between them for airflow. General temperatures seem to stay in check, even when it's hot in my room.

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #1,226 of 2,278
Noctua computer fans and a 5v psu with molex, can get both at newegg. They are very quiet, but a little pricey, but compared to audio rack fans, much better on both counts. Sometimes the fans go on sale.

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #1,227 of 2,278
how many hours do you need to burn in this baby.... I am assuming at least 100+ hours to hear some differences right? its currently at 30hrs
gs1000.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #1,228 of 2,278

Both my tube amp and my nfb-12 get pretty hot, as a rule of thumb I just don't stack them and I leave about an inch of space between them for airflow. General temperatures seem to stay in check, even when it's hot in my room.
'
Imagine putting three components (Power supply, tube pre-amp, DAC) stacked in a closed cabinent.
Then wait to see which one fries first. :evil:

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #1,229 of 2,278

Quote:

Did more listening this morning to compare DACs, this time using some classical, plus I have more hours of BI on the NFB-12.  There is a discernable difference, and the NFB-12 sounds fuller and wider soundstage than my old Sony ES preamp DACs.  The difference vs the Sony SACD player DAC is more subtle, but I do think there's a slight difference.

Satisfied with purchase so far.  

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #1,230 of 2,278
I an glad you heard a difference, so it seems the NFB-12 will only get better as time progress.
Quote:
Did more listening this morning to compare DACs, this time using some classical, plus I have more hours of BI on the NFB-12.  There is a discernable difference, and the NFB-12 sounds fuller and wider soundstage than my old Sony ES preamp DACs.  The difference vs the Sony SACD player DAC is more subtle, but I do think there's a slight difference.

Satisfied with purchase so far.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back