Audio-GD NFB-12
Aug 1, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,156 of 2,278
Here are my listening impressions after 10 days of owning the NFB-12:

I'm not using this DAC with headphones due to a persistent case of tinnitus.  I bought it exclusively to listen with speakers at work using my computer as the source.  The chain is Realtek integrated computer sound (ALC888S) digital output ---> coax cable ---> NFB-12 ---> RCA-XLR cables ---> M-Audio BX-5 Deluxe powered monitors.  For software, I use Foobar's WASAPI output at 24 bit with 470ms buffer, and also Windows digital sound at 16 bit 96k for Pandora and system sounds.  I listen to many different genres of music.

Both the design and build quality of this unit more than met my expectations.  My powered speakers have separate, rear-mounted volume controls, so I needed my DAC to have a variable analog output.  The quality volume control on the NFB-12 is a pleasure to use.  The case is well built and attractive.  I really appreciate the fixed/variable output having the option of being variable/variable (i.e. no fixed output possible) and also not having to open the unit up to set the fixed/variable output jumper.  I don't want to flip a front-panel switch by mistake and blow out my speakers and my ears by suddenly having a full-volume signal going to my speakers. 

Before the NFB-12, I was satisfied with my computer's sound but in no way did it sound high end.  The BX-5a Deluxe speakers have an open, airy sound with slightly emphasized treble (either that or slightly recessed mids) and natural but not deep or powerful bass.  I didn't think I could get truly enjoyable sound out of my computer and these speakers before it occurred to me to buy an outboard DAC.  Adding an outboard DAC was the best thing I could have done to improve this system, and it is now very satisfying. 

With the NFB-12 in the chain, the noise floor is now dead silent, whereas before there was a noticeable hiss all the time, even when no music was playing.  I finally have a good stereo image.  The instrument separation is excellent and the soundstage is greatly improved.  The sound is smooth but detailed enough for music enjoyment.  The bass on my system is not any stronger or weaker than before, so I do not believe the NFB-12 emphasizes or reduces the bass.  The timbre of the instruments and vocals themselves are tremendously better.

I have the gain switch set to high.  On low gain, in my system there was a noticeable lack of PRAT to the point that the sound was bland and boring.  Switching the gain to high fixed that immediately; it now has very nice PRAT.  Also, in my system, the NFB-12 has a slightly dark character.  It is smooth and very listenable for long periods of time, but there's no question that I can hear the slightly dark sound signature of the NFB-12.  There's always the risk of having a given component color the sound enough that all music sounds somewhat the same and you end up listening to the component rather than the music.  I don't think the NFB-12 crosses into that territory.  Its coloration is done very well, almost to the point of being addictive, but I do sometimes notice its character.  For those whose systems are already dark, or to get the most neutral sound, I would recommend Edwin's other DACs such as the NFB-11 or the new NFB-5 that has multiple filters to change the sound signature.  For my use, especially at this price, I can live with having this one, slightly dark sound signature.  In my system, and for non-critical music listening, it's a good match. 

As for break-in, I have left the unit on 24/7 for 10 days, and have had music playing through it for about 40 hours.  The sound seems to have improved over that time, but I haven't tracked the changes enough to discuss them here.

I can't speak to how the NFB-12 would operate in a headphone system, especially with respect to the soundstage and treble.  My system is not revealing enough to evaluate those aspects of its sound.

DHL shipping to Los Angeles was $40, which is about 20% of the cost of the unit itself, but it got here undamaged in four days, so it was worth it to me.

Overall I'm extremely happy with this $239 purchase (delivered price, bought during a promotion that dropped the price by $10). :)

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #1,157 of 2,278
I see that the NFB 12 doesnt have RCA out, so how would I connect the NFB12 to my dedicated tube amp???

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,159 of 2,278
okay thanks, what do guys think about the NFB 12 going up against the Yulong U100, Audinst, Dr. Dac, or music streamer II.

Still cant decide which DAC to pair with my Little Dot I+ and SR325i.

Any Help please
L3000.gif

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #1,161 of 2,278
Aug 5, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #1,163 of 2,278

Quote:
What you think about nfb-12 amp?
its ok for hd600?

I think it's great with the HD600. Very detailed, yet smooth and musical.

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #1,164 of 2,278
Any other USB/optical/coax DAC contenders in this price range, or is this the one to get? The HPA function is a nice-to-have, but not absolutely required, so primarily interested in the flexibility of inputs with the DAC functionality.

Have DT880/600's, TripleFi 10i's, and Ety ER-4P's, and can use a Hifiman EF5 as another amp option with NFB-12 DAC outs if it's better than the NFB-12's built-in HPA to drive the DT880's.

But also plan to use this as DAC with speaker setup feeding an old Sony TA-77ESD which has circa late 80's DAC's, which I want to improve upon.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #1,166 of 2,278
When I asked for a quote for NFB-12, Audio GD said the "tax fee" for EMS is cheap, but expensive for DHL.  

Is there any customs/duties charges for ordering this directly from Audio GD and does this vary by shipping method?  I'm confused.

They also said DHL shipments recently have been damaged, whereas earlier I thought I read EMS was having the same problem. 

Any recommendations?

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #1,167 of 2,278
Shipping to the US from DHL for me was easy. Just one shipping fee (about $50 I think) when I ordered, and it arrived with no hassle.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #1,168 of 2,278
Is it ok if I use a PC power cord to power my NFB-12 rather than the power cord provided? I'm scared to use the stock one now since I've read it is improperly wired.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #1,169 of 2,278
Yes that will be fine. It's just a standard power cable, nothing special about it. I doubt it's improperly wired though, it works fine for me.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #1,170 of 2,278
Is it normal that the case of NFB-12 is not grounded? According to my multimeter the case and the audio connector grounds are at either 50 or 85 VAC w.r.t. to powerline ground, depending on which way the powerplug (non-polarised europlug) is connected, or at 140 or 0 VAC when the unit is off. When touching the unit I get a buzzing sensation that you usually get when touching metallic laptops that are not connected to grounded outlets, for example. Touching the unit and the ground at the same time would probably give you an unpleasant zap, even though the current shouldn't be dangerous. So do the other NFB-12 owners get a buzzing sensation when moving your finger on the case? Make sure it's not grounded trough any of the other connections. I'm quite sure the case should be connected to the powerline ground according to most safety regulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back