Audio-GD NFB-12
Jul 10, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #1,051 of 2,278
Audio-gd does a burn in, but it is fairly short, some people report an increase in sound quality over time owned and on (I seem to notice this as well), but I feel like that is a bit subjective. I do like turning it on and letting power flow through it for a little while before using it, just letting the caps get filled and ready (I really dont know if it does anything, but I do it anyway.

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #1,052 of 2,278
Audio-gd does a burn in, but it is fairly short, some people report an increase in sound quality over time owned and on (I seem to notice this as well), but I feel like that is a bit subjective. I do like turning it on and letting power flow through it for a little while before using it, just letting the caps get filled and ready (I really dont know if it does anything, but I do it anyway.

I think it takes very (very) long for capacitors to discharge. Sometimes they even have most of their charge (even a deadly one) after decades. This is why in no event you can ever assume that a capacitor is empty, as even after 40 years they can still hold a deadly charge.
Other than that I think the increase in sound quality can also be explained by the fact that you get used to the sound of a certain component. Such 'burn in' could even be noticed with second hand components. It's a personal thing, and not something mechanical.
The only components that DO have noticeable burn-in are tubes. They both have a burn-in of first usage, and start up; it takes several minutes for my tube amp to sound to it's full potential after turning the power on.
And with tubes it IS smart to turn them off, as leaving it turned on reduces the live-span of the tubes (comparable to light bulbs).

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #1,053 of 2,278
high-quality caps do have a long lifespan, but caps can discharge very very quickly. I'm not sure if you meant "slowly" as in they can keep a charge for a very long time if not grounded, or whether they actually discharge slowly.

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #1,054 of 2,278
high-quality caps do have a long lifespan, but caps can discharge very very quickly. I'm not sure if you meant "slowly" as in they can keep a charge for a very long time if not grounded, or whether they actually discharge slowly.

I mean that they discharge fast when required, but that they on the other hand do not lose their charge very quickly after you turn of a device.

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #1,055 of 2,278
It's probably ok to leave your NFB-12 on all the time, just make sure it's properly ventilated because they do get pretty hot.

Don't stack things ontop of your NFB-12 and let it have some breathing room all around it, it'll do alot to help reduce it's temperature and keep things in check.

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #1,056 of 2,278
Yeah, mine acts as a mini heater so if I'm not using it I turn it off.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #1,057 of 2,278

Quote:
Audio-GD said EMS is slower shipping to US and sometimes item got damaged.

What is your experience on EMS?

If it is damage when I received, how will Audio-GD handle it?

Thanks.

When I received my NFB-12, the box had a huge dent/cave-in on one end. Upon opening up the box, everything was fine. It works great and has no scratches/dents (although the case was wobbily so I put some foam tape underneath to level and secure it). The packaging is nice and I wouldn't doubt it's capable of international travel but it's not the best I've seen by a long shot. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #1,058 of 2,278

Quote:
USB on the NFB-12 should be far better than any motherboard output. Even with digital output, you can't be sure that you're getting a bit-perfect signal from your computer to the DAC. The NFB-12 has the Tenor USB chip which is driverless cross-platform 24/96 bit-perfect. Motherboard audio is a super cheap circuit that is thrown on just because it works and most people (non-audiophiles) have no problem with it. Also, the USB in the NFB-12 uses IIS output instead of S/PDIF which makes for less jitter.

Interesting - I'm using the coaxial out from my Claro Halo with HT Omegas cable from the board. http://www.htomega.com/clarohalo.html

I've been looking for a better PCI card, gotta try the USB first and see how I like that.

Liking the sound right now with Grado RS1's.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #1,059 of 2,278
Most sound cards will not have very different quality coaxial spdif output compared with the claro halo. I would recommend getting a reclocker instead if you want to improve jitter.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #1,060 of 2,278

Quote:
Most sound cards will not have very different quality coaxial spdif output compared with the claro halo. I would recommend getting a reclocker instead if you want to improve jitter.

If I remember right, the NFB-12 already has that via a WM8805 chip. At least, that's the chip a lot of USB transport devices use to reclock.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #1,061 of 2,278

Hi fellow audiophiles,

I am currently in a position where I am deciding between getting this or a dedicated headphone amp at the same price. I have a Audinst HUD-MX1 and a valab nos dac. So my consider is should I spend 200 USD on the NB12 which yield slightly better improvement from my existing audinst (presumably) or should I spend 200 usd on a h-amp which currently I have yet to decide on M-stage or the audio gd FUN giving to the option to use the valab nos and the dac portion of the audinst. I have the HD650 which I plan to use most of the time along with a earsonic SM3.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thank You!!

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #1,062 of 2,278
@crumplertm I would consider the C2 SA amp and NFB2 combo for best possible musicality from Audio GD at this, very good price.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #1,064 of 2,278
the FUN and the NFB12 are not that different according to audio-gd, the DAC section of the nfb12 is very nice, dual wolfsons etc. and the amp section is also very good, however it sounds as if you have plenty of DACs, I would recommend just getting a good amp.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #1,065 of 2,278

Quote:

beyersmile.png
 How does it sound? Mine doesn't arrive till friday from pacific valve 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back