Audio-GD NFB-12
May 13, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #946 of 2,278

Quote:
I can confirm that using the Digital Interface (with PSU) with the 12 does improve sound over the built-in USB. It's not huge but noticeable to me. More 3D-like sound, a step closer to the music.
Whether or not spending $200 on a converter for a $200 DAC/Amp is worth it is the question (I don't think so) but I use the DI for my Phoenix/Ref-8 rig and already had it.

This also sounds really good with the D7000.

Do you have the DI ver. A or B?
I want another person confirming PC coax to DI ver. A coax to NFB-12 coax being a pretty good improvement.

May 14, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #947 of 2,278
I was thinking to upgrade a better dac amp combo, how is this compare to the matrix mini i dac in terms of sound quality? not only headphone, i want it to pair with studio monitors as well...any opinions pls?

It has a much better amp than the matrix mini i in power output and design (mostly due to limits in keeping it's small size), the DAC section is probably a matter of taste - the matrix mini i is more analytical and the NFB-12 more musical. You'd probably get more bass and more mids out of the NFB-12, and less highs. It really depends on what headphones you're using, if you were using 250-Ohm or higher headphones you wouldn't really want to use the matrix mini i over the NFB-12.

hello, can the nfb-12 still be ordered from audio-gd? Also, how does it compare with something like the octovart o1 or yulong dah1. I am thinking of using with my dt 150 but as its a rare can i can't seem to get feedback on synergy and if it would work. Any help would be appreciated

I'm not too sure on all the characteristics of the DT-150, but if it follows the beyerdynamic house sound the NFB-12 will work well with it. Any headphone with a "U" shaped frequency response (powerful lows and highs, reduced mids) will sound nice on the NFB-12.

May 14, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #948 of 2,278
Hi all.

I have an update on the impressions of the comparison between the NFB-11 and the NFB-12.

After a longer burn-in-period on the NFB-12 ...of approx. 400 hours it started to open up more and the result differs less to the NFB-11(!)

I am using the DI w TCXO, USB-in, upsampling to 96k as before, to get the flat response of the -12, and I am feeding both the -11 and the -12
simultaneously coax in. I have as You all understand, been using the same source, configuration, music, volumelevel and just plugged between the two.

Right now and With the HD650's w "RG178 ag"-cable the difference is very hard to spot. And this even with very high resolution-recordings.

At this moment I think the NFB-12 is a better value/money because of this and the fact that all inputs are present and wellworking on it.

Worth mentioning may be that the DI has been burning in day and night with various music since a couple of weeks... approx 600-700 h. Maybe this have a slight influence of the result but I address it mainly to the stabilising of the components in the analog parts during the burn in.

So in this situation the NFB-12 pairs very good the HD650.

Bargain? Oh yes sure! Go for it.

/Jan

May 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #950 of 2,278
I have had my NFB - 12 on burn-in for around 300 hours. The bass increased after 40 hours and reduced after that. The sound stage grew out of head around at around 70-100 hours may be. In between the sound felt like less clean. Now after around 300 hours it sounds very clean and resolving but lean on the bass and narrow soundstage compared with my ordinary intel audio laptop out and s:flo2. It lacks the bass impact too. I'm using with DT880/600 and HD555.I

May 14, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #951 of 2,278
Random question, how does the DAC compare to the Musiland Monitor 02?

I have a few headphones and I may purchase this if the amp is decent. But I will primarily use it for my monitors.

May 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #952 of 2,278
yes my nfb-12 is showing very drastic changes as well. its pretty crazy haha. can't really say too much about the nfb-11 no usb's burn-in. it has more bass and more natural sound, but it still lacks that feel and live sound that the nfb-12 has.

Quote:
I have had my NFB - 12 on burn-in for around 300 hours. The bass increased after 40 hours and reduced after that. The sound stage grew out of head around at around 70-100 hours may be. In between the sound felt like less clean. Now after around 300 hours it sounds very clean and resolving but lean on the bass and narrow soundstage compared with my ordinary intel audio laptop out and s:flo2. It lacks the bass impact too. I'm using with DT880/600 and HD555.I

May 15, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #953 of 2,278

Quote:
I can confirm that using the Digital Interface (with PSU) with the 12 does improve sound over the built-in USB. It's not huge but noticeable to me. More 3D-like sound, a step closer to the music.
Whether or not spending $200 on a converter for a $200 DAC/Amp is worth it is the question (I don't think so) but I use the DI for my Phoenix/Ref-8 rig and already had it.

This also sounds really good with the D7000.

Do you notice the same improvement even without the PSU?. I am valuating buying the Digital Interface from Audio GD, without the dedicated PSU module.
Good idea?
How does it compare with Musiland 01?

May 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #954 of 2,278

Quote:
Do you notice the same improvement even without the PSU?. I am valuating buying the Digital Interface from Audio GD, without the dedicated PSU module.
Good idea?
How does it compare with Musiland 01?

The PSU makes a very small difference, I feel it requires a more resolving system to make it worth it (which does not include the NFB-12). I would not recommend buying the DI for just the NFB-12, I would put the money into better headphones or one of their better DAC/Amps.

May 16, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #955 of 2,278
I am noticing a big difference in outlets in this house, it IS an older house, but I had no idea how different it would be at different times. right now I have it on high gain at max volume and it is just right, maybe even too quiet, then at other times I've had it at 2 oclock on low gain and it is plenty powerful (same outlet, middle of the day instead of at night). How strange.

May 17, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #956 of 2,278

Quote:
The PSU makes a very small difference, I feel it requires a more resolving system to make it worth it (which does not include the NFB-12). I would not recommend buying the DI for just the NFB-12, I would put the money into better headphones or one of their better DAC/Amps.

Thanks a lot Tim
Gonna follow your advice
BTW, just swapped Ultrasone 2500 for Sennheiser HD600: just another world with the NFB 12

Greetings from Italy

May 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #957 of 2,278

Quote:

I've just placed a order of NFB 12 a month ago.
Do you mean that NFB 12 has a narrower soundstage and less bass than s:flo2 ? That would be quite disappointing.

May 19, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #958 of 2,278
No not really. Sorry for the pre-matured conclusion. It was not even a conclusion but was just an observation posted. Now I have a little over 300 hrs. Didn't really count after about 300 hrs. Might have crossed 360 hrs. It feels smooth with tight bass and good soundstage and separation. I was able to listen to it continuously and still didn't feel fatigued. Also found sound difference between media player applications. I tried Amarok and Bangarang. The latter sounder a little softer - less impactful. This made this player sound a little smoother compared to Amarok. I think it is still not burned-in completely. I kept it switched on after my last post(not continuously) and listened a couple of days ago  and saw this change. Yes as repeated here many times here I agree that audio-gd gears require a lot of burn-in. When I last described I was not all that impressed. I thought I have paid only for a marginal improvement over laptop sound. Now I'm more than impressed. Wanted to post the impressions earlier but had exams 
wink.gif
 This is my first DAC/Amp. I was both skeptic and curious. Now to tell you I'm already happy with my purchase.

Quote:
I've just placed a order of NFB 12 a month ago.
Do you mean that NFB 12 has a narrower soundstage and less bass than s:flo2 ? That would be quite disappointing.

May 19, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #959 of 2,278
Hm I've been using this thing for about a week and i'm noticing that theres less bass compared and a bit clearer compared to when it was new. I don't know if its the dac/amp or the dt880 because both are new. It seems that there is also less detail than before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back