Audio-GD NFB-12
May 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #931 of 2,278
Tenor TE7022 is the USB receiver chip.

May 7, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #932 of 2,278

Quote:
Can NFB-12 users confirm this for me?
confused_face(1).gif

1. NFB-12 shows up on our computer as "SPDIF Interface" as a playback device.

2. Since I already use WASAPI and Sox in my Foobar2000 for 24bit and 96000 Hz output, should I configure the "SPDIF Interface", advanced tab's default format at 16bit, 44100 Hz? or keep it at 24bit, 96000 Hz?
confused.gif

In Foobar, preferences/output, my nfb12 shows up as SPDIF Interface, and i use usb output from my netbook.

May 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #934 of 2,278
It shows up for me in Foobar2000 on Windows as WASAPI : SPDIF Interface (TE7022 Audio w/SPDIF).  I'm using the USB interface only.  Like it a lot.  The bass was a bit loose initially and has tightened up.  I primarily listen on Denon D7000's (unless a co-worker brings their cans over).  I think I'm going to sell my Icon HDP to a coworker who prefers it over the NFB-12 (if he wants to buy it lol).  I personally prefer several things about the NFB-12

Low and High gain option - I use it strictly on high gain.  It lets me play music more quietly at the lowest level as well as louder at the highest level vs my HDP which really has a much narrower volume window - if I go too low there is a panning issue on the HDP and when I crank it, it gets nowhere near as loud as the NFB-12.  I'd say the DAC is probably a bit better on the Nuforce although I have found myself hearing new details i'd never noticed with other stereo's nor the Nuforce when using the NFB-12.  I would also say the HDP has better highs than the NFB-12 but fortunately, this helps bring out the mids in my D7000s (addition by subraction).  So I would say if you have a bright headphone, get a NFB-12.  If the highs are dark on your cans, go with a HDP.  If you are in the middle as I feel the d7000 are I think you'll be ok with either.

Take all this with a grain of salt, I haven't done a side by side, rather listen to one for a few days and then switch to the other so it's nowhere near a true A/B comparison. 

My friend who prefers the HDP is using some dre beats cans FYI.

May 10, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #936 of 2,278

Quote:
went on a shopping spree... have RS1 and DT990/600 on the way to plug into my NFB-12

These should be pretty fun, especially the DT990 on the NFB-12 - really nice combo.

When I was letting my friend compare his RS-1 to my Beyer T1 (he's interested in upgrading), I got to try his RS-1 on the NFB-12 and it seemed like a good combo. I prefer the DT990 to the RS-1 overall, though.

May 10, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #937 of 2,278
I just got my nfb12 today, and it sounds goood, I was a bit disappointed at first, but I kept listening, and started picking up the details better. I really need more time listening to it, but thus far it is rendering my dave brubeck music beautifully. On high gain mode it can drive my orthos past anything anyone would want to listen to, which just shows how powerful it is.

May 10, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #938 of 2,278
Just got mine today after two and a half months of waiting, rescheduling, and postponing. 
It's my first amp, and I've paired it with my first decent set of headphones, my few months old DT770's. 
I've tried changing from it and just my soundcard, and the difference really is phenomenal; there really is no feedback. There are some parts in songs that you suddenly pick up with the NFB-12 that you've never heard, and I know everybody says this, but it really refreshes your music. Smooths the music out, neutralizes it, makes it flow like it never has. Truly soothing to the ears.

As a junior audiophile, I think this is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

May 10, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #939 of 2,278
Just got mine today like other people, all i can say is wow. Good sound out of the box.

As Im listening now it is better then my Maverick D1.

Listening to Vivaldi Cello Concerto in G minor for 2 Cellos right now and at passages i can hear the players breathing and their bows bouncing off the strings, something i never heard on the D1.

More impressions will come after there has been some burn in period done.

May 11, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #940 of 2,278
Hi, All

Just got my NFB-12 few days ago.  Can someone please confirm that it will not work with iPad1 using the camera kit.  I tried it a few times but can't get it to work. 

Thanks.

Jimmy

May 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #941 of 2,278
this dac/amp is truly magical, it just brings every piece alive, unfortunately my orthos are modded in such a way that they are boosted in the mids, So the highs and bass are overshadowed by the doubly boosted mids (a warm amp and warm headphones together).

My tf10s benefit greatly from this amp/dac, they sound absolutely amazing. I believe it is partly because the tf10s have such sparkling highs and deep lows, that the mids get overshadowed. The NFB 12 brings the mids right out.

Ps. the unit is much smaller than I imagined, I would almost call it portable if it was able to run off a usb alone. It is no larger than an external cd drive.

May 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #943 of 2,278
I can confirm that using the Digital Interface (with PSU) with the 12 does improve sound over the built-in USB. It's not huge but noticeable to me. More 3D-like sound, a step closer to the music.
Whether or not spending $200 on a converter for a $200 DAC/Amp is worth it is the question (I don't think so) but I use the DI for my Phoenix/Ref-8 rig and already had it.

This also sounds really good with the D7000.

May 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #945 of 2,278
hello, can the nfb-12 still be ordered from audio-gd? Also, how does it compare with something like the octovart o1 or yulong dah1. I am thinking of using with my dt 150 but as its a rare can i can't seem to get feedback on synergy and if it would work. Any help would be appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back